• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Anyone ever hunt varmint or coyote with a bone stock A3/4 style AR-15?

I really want to build another AR and I'm thinking plain and simple M16a3 clone. No free float or anything just bone stock. Of course i also want a bit of flexibility so I'll toss a scope on the flat top and get a basic bipod adapter for the plain handguards.

Would any of you hunt with a KISS rifle like that? I don't want a designated rifle for coyote because i don't know if I'll ever even have the opportunity to hunt them, and i have always loved the plain rifles. I see all these guys with super upgraded rifles with all kind of hand loads (im not dissing because alll of your guys rifles are sick), but for me that's pointless.

Is there truly any reason i wouldn't want to hunt with a bone stock rifle?

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I can think of a lot more reasons to have one or two plain ol' rifles than not to. Do it! Versatility alone sells me.

That's exactly how I'm seeing it. I've got my "tactical" rifle already (a PSA middy with some bells and whistles. final pictures as soon as my Strikefire comes i), and i really just want a plain "military issue". I've been saying for a while though if the opportunity to take some yotes ever pops up I'd love to go for it. I figured heck a plain 20" AR is prefect for that, provided i get the necessary practice.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Nice to have a rig good for fast close stuff and out to a couple hundred yards. 2-7X on a 16" is fine. If you want a bipod on it, go midlength or dissipator. CAR doesn't have enough handroom to keep things comfy.

One issue with a 16" AR and hunting is the short bbl and the brake. Freakin' loud. Could unscrew standard flash hider and go with XM177 style 5.5" to make it less annoying.

Stock trigger sucks, mod the original/change springs or get a better assembly.

Top Bottom