• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I spend a lot of time handling and working with knives and try my very best to be careful and as safe as possible. I have had many minor cuts along the way but have always been lucky enough that a bandaid was all that was needed to fix'em up.
    I had my pocket knife out and my 6 year old niece wanted to hold it. She is very accustomed to handling our knives, under close supervision, and knows they are not toys but very dangerous tools. I asked her dad if she could hold it and he said yes so I showed her how to open it and how to hold it properly and then handed it to her. She was having trouble opening it by herself so I went to help her. As I opened the blade she jerked just a small bit but that was all that was needed. My finger slid right down the length of the blade and it sliced me good. I remained calm and she didn't even bat an eye. I went to the sink to see how bad it was and instantly knew it was serious. I put it under the running water and the tip of my finger nearly fell off. My brother and I inspected it and realized that only a small amount of my finger nail was all that was holding it on still. We knew that a trip to the hospital was the only option.
    Ended up needing 8 stitches top attempt to put or back together but the doc said it might still end up falling off after removing the stitches later on. She said I cut some nerves but luckily wasn't near the tendon.
    I wanted to post this story as a reminder to everyone here that it is easy to get complacent and not even realize just how easy and quickly something serious can happen. I was very lucky this time that it wasn't any thing extremely serious but it cold have easily went the other way. Please everyone, enjoy and use your knives but always keep in the front of your mind just how extremely dangerous even the smallest knife can truly be.
    On to the pic. This is after cleaning it up to stitch it and you can see there was not much nail left holding it on. It was cut all the way through on the bottom. Needless to say there was quite a lot of blood on the floor in the hospital room.
    d4e1f79358d772b013c5077ad845841e.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic but they didn't really want to stop working for camera time.

T/SF34/A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Ow! She got you good!
    The wife did something similar a few years ago and ended up with 5 stitches to hold her finger together.
    In the end all healed well and everything fused itself back together. Good Luck!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Damn that sucks, been there done that with my left index finger, but it completely lopped off a bunch of skin and some mean, didn't hit the nail.

This is why Pat doesn't use his knives, he's too afraid to get something on them.....like blood.....

:D

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Man, I pray you don't lose the tip of your finger. I blame your brother! If he didn't teach you about sharpening knives, it would not have happened.

Duron219

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    East Chicago
    I had something like that happen to me when I was 15, I closed my knife on my thumb and nearly cut the side of my thumb off. The serrations went right through my nail and thankfully didn't go that far in, only about half an inch but it hurt like hell.

Top Bottom