• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    This is going to sound very dumb of me i think but oh well. I have been reading all the threads about knives and such and i would love to have a great quality knife. The one thing that has stopped me is the fact that my father never taught me how to sharpen a knife correctly. Now i have a basic sharpener at home for the kitchen knives but it doesn't do as well as i could if i knew the process. Now aside from trying to get FTF with someone to learn does anyone have a certain site or resource they suggest to learn this art?:dunno:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    There are lots of good videos on Youtube that show different ways to sharpen a knife.

I've always preferred to use a wet stone or an oil stone. It does take practice and you're best to start out with an old knife until you get the hang of it.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    There are lots of good videos on Youtube that show different ways to sharpen a knife.

I've always preferred to use a wet stone or an oil stone. It does take practice and you're best to start out with an old knife until you get the hang of it.
    I have a cheapy knife that was a stocking stuffer and think it is lower than a walmart special. it will make a great test dummy

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I really like the spyderco sharpmaker. I couldn't get a knife sharp for nothing until I got the sharpmaker. The angle is set for you so as long as you can keep your wrist locked, you're good to go.

The other benefit to the sharpmaker is that it allows you the opportunity to get used to the angle your blade needs to be for sharpening.

I finish off my sharpening with a strop. If you're interested in learning how to use the sharpmaker, you can find some videos on YouTube. If you want to learn how to strop, that's out there too.

If you're interested in purchasing one of the strops I make, and given you're on the southwest side of Indy, I'm happy to meet up with you and show you how the sharpmaker and a strop can work for you.

Since this is in the SHTF forum, you may be interested in the spike strop. It's great for BOBs, GHBs or your day pack for hiking. It's lightweight and measures 1.5"W x 5.5"L.

Let me know if I can help.

Oh yeah, BTW, I'm also doing a contest right now. Buy a strop, you are entered in for a drawing for a chance to win your choice of an ESEE Izula or Candiru. I'm an ESEE fan boy. They're great knives.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    I really like the spyderco sharpmaker. I couldn't get a knife sharp for nothing until I got the sharpmaker. The angle is set for you so as long as you can keep your wrist locked, you're good to go.

The other benefit to the sharpmaker is that it allows you the opportunity to get used to the angle your blade needs to be for sharpening.

I finish off my sharpening with a strop. If you're interested in learning how to use the sharpmaker, you can find some videos on YouTube. If you want to learn how to strop, that's out there too.

If you're interested in purchasing one of the strops I make, and given you're on the southwest side of Indy, I'm happy to meet up with you and show you how the sharpmaker and a strop can work for you.

Since this is in the SHTF forum, you may be interested in the spike strop. It's great for BOBs, GHBs or your day pack for hiking. It's lightweight and measures 1.5"W x 5.5"L.

Let me know if I can help.

Oh yeah, BTW, I'm also doing a contest right now. Buy a strop, you are entered in for a drawing for a chance to win your choice of an ESEE Izula or Candiru. I'm an ESEE fan boy. They're great knives.
    I read your threads on your strops and do plan on getting one from you for sure once i can spend some extra money. I would much prefer spend my money on a quality local product than to send money away for something mass produced

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I read your threads on your strops and do plan on getting one from you for sure once i can spend some extra money. I would much prefer spend my money on a quality local product than to send money away for something mass produced

I could not agree more! I honestly think local economies, local communities are the key to fixing what is wrong with our country.

90% of my knives have come from Knifelady and my edc holster was bought from GPD177 who makes Hooch Holsters. So on and so forth.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Another +1 for the SharpMaker. I never could sharpen a knife before buying it, and now I can put a razor edge on anything except for my Boss Jack.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    I have this kit, and love it! I am good with a wetstone, but the lansky kit is so precise and dummy proof. Within 5 minutes of figuring out how to use this kit, anybody can put a precise, custom edge on a blade! You can even set the stones for different angles, depending on the purpose of the blade!

Lansky Sharpeners Deluxe Kit For Sharpening Knives LKCLX FREE S&H LKCLX. Lansky Sharpeners Knife Accessories.
    lol that looks about as confusing as hell not knowing how to use it lol

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I have the Sharpmaker and like it well enough. You can put a shaving edge on knife quite easily with the basic kit no problem. What you can't do (unless you buy the diamond stones for it) is remove a significant amount of material with any speed.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I have this kit, and love it! I am good with a wetstone, but the lansky kit is so precise and dummy proof. Within 5 minutes of figuring out how to use this kit, anybody can put a precise, custom edge on a blade! You can even set the stones for different angles, depending on the purpose of the blade!

Lansky Sharpeners Deluxe Kit For Sharpening Knives LKCLX FREE S&H LKCLX. Lansky Sharpeners Knife Accessories.

I have a kit EXTREMELY similar. In a case with oil, stand, different grade stones. I got mine at Rural King and I use it all the time for kitchen, EDC, folding, safe queen, etc. As a general rule they come out real sharp.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I have a kit EXTREMELY similar. In a case with oil, stand, different grade stones. I got mine at Rural King and I use it all the time for kitchen, EDC, folding, safe queen, etc. As a general rule they come out real sharp.
    Mine was a Christmas special at Gander Mountain. came in a nice wooden case. Once you figure out how to use it, it's a dream!

Top Bottom