Knifemakers: knifemaking tip of the day!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Since we are gettin more and more knifemakers active on INGO, I want to try a thread..... Threads similiar do pretty well around the interwebs and I have learned a trick or two from them.

Tip o' the Day!

Everyone is welcome to play! Sometimes the best tip comes from fresh minds and eyes! So, lets help share some f the tips and tricks we have learned, or heard about!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Best tip I ever got came from Tom Mayo.

Use belts like they are free.

Fresh belts cut better, cleaner, and faster. Dull belts ruin everything's except shaping handles and sharpening.

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    Nonsense jbombelli, you have to put your blood into the bevel of a good knife!

Good tip, Cubby. Keep em coming.

One thing I've learned doing my first few: Don't be afraid of the dunk bucket! I let my first one get wayyyy too hot.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Elkhart
    I haven't ever made a knife, but my tip is to buy quality! I used to buy cheap, telling myself I'll probably end up losing it so why spend a bunch of money. I have since learned that a quality knife will work so much better you'll want to grow up a little bit and not lose it.

I still buy cheap sunglasses though, I can't keep those around for more than a week

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Lighter hammers forge faster. This is true to a point. I started with 3-4 lb. blacksmith hammers and found that when I moved to a 2 lb. I moved a lot of metal a lot faster and a lot more accurately, not to mention it was easier on the joints.

Pete Crowl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    One tip that has saved me lots of time.

Use lubrication when you are hand sanding blades. I use very diluted simple green. I did use wd-40 for a time but the smell eventually got to me.

Results may vary but I have found that my sand paper works better and lasts a little longer. It also cuts down on the dust.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    One tip that has saved me lots of time.

Use lubrication when you are hand sanding blades. I use very diluted simple green. I did use wd-40 for a time but the smell eventually got to me.

Results may vary but I have found that my sand paper works better and lasts a little longer. It also cuts down on the dust.

I find that sanding fully submerged under warm water makes the paper last the longest and faster results on the steel.

I get funny looks from the ol'lady when I bring the sand paper and steel to the kitchen sink. Lol.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Never, ever, EVER intentionally copy someone else's work. And if you accidentally come out too close, contact the other guy and talk to him about it.

Your integrity defines you. In all things.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Master one steel before selling a product. Begin selling that product in that steel then move to R&D on your next steel and master it before selling your product in that steel.

Oh, and one of the best ways to make sure you're a commercial success in knifemaking is to make sure you have a real job (with health insurance). :D Naturally I'm being tongue in cheek here but the reality is it's a tough market with massive upfront costs, low margins for your labor, and your business is 100% you. You stop making, the whole business stops.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Since I brought up health insurance in the last one, here are some tips on knifemaking and health.

1. Never heat galvanized steel. You can literally kill yourself from the fumes.

2. Always wear a mask when grinding micarta or any other synthetic fibrous item.

3. Wear a respirator when grinding exotic woods, bone and antlers. The synthetic stuff will mess up your lungs long term. This organic stuff will get you faster in the short run. Some exotic woods are toxic. Bone and antlers can get you a nice infection in your lungs.

4. Always wear safety goggles but be especially vigilant if you heat treat at home. I have caused things to crack and explode in the heat treat process.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Use quality steel. Always. You might think using an old mower blade or leaf spring is "ok"..... Till you spend 20 hours hand finishing a steel that you can't heat treat properly because you don't know what it is.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Number two, since I have missed some days:

Heat treat is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of a quality made knife. Hire a professional. I don't care what your redneck uncle told you about the Bowie knife he made in Vietnam. It's a science, and improper HT can kill someone.

Top Bottom