• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Been a while since I've tinkered with making knives, and thinking about it again. Since I no longer have access to equipment at work (new job), going to be doing it at home...

I just got a free 6" bench grinder, and a benchtop drill press but it appears to me from reading some online sites and tips and tricks, that I'd probably be set up better with a belt/disc combo sander... Seems easier to do flat grinds, and not heat the metal so bad.

What are you guys using? And without a bandsaw, what about using the grinder for roughing the blanks and a sander for final shaping?

Since I'm in an apartment, I'll be mounting the sander and/or grinder on a stand to take out to the back porch, so forging is NOT in the equation at this time...

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    all you need are some files now and you are set. you could buy a sander/grinder and that will speed things along. but it ALSO speeds up mistakes. and builds heats. lots of heat, depending on the speed of the grinder.

with what you have now the proccess would go like this:

draw your profile with a marker, on the steel.

drill a bunch of holes around the profile.

clean up the profile on the bench grinder.

you CAN do bevels on a bench grinder. but it is ridiculously stoopid! haaha. your better off using files.

have fun!!!!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Yeah, bevels on a bench grinder haven't worked so well for me in the past, a belt sander worked much better. At the time had access to a 3" wide horizontal belt sander, working without a work stop or rest was always an adventure.

Grinder and drill press were given to me for free, sniffing around for the same deal on a belt sander, heh... Or maybe just do some horse-tradin....

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been watching some youtube video's and it seems that alot of guys are using the belt sander that you mentioned, and dipping in water frequently to keep cool.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I've been watching some youtube video's and it seems that alot of guys are using the belt sander that you mentioned, and dipping in water frequently to keep cool.

most serious makers use belt grinders (in stock removal). a few things though:

not cheap
    screw things up FAST
    not cheap
    and
    screw things up REALLY FAST!

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    Cubby's advice is right on. For the casual knife maker a lot of sophisticated tooling is not needed - especially for stock removal method. Files and clamps do well for blade contouring and beveling. I do occasionally use my belt sander, but must cool often!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Pick up a copy of Wayne Goddard's book, the $50 Knife Shop. It's a good read for how to start out.

I think I might have checked that out at the library in the past at some point...

As for files vs. sander, I've tried both, I like the sander better, I seem to get better results (and yes, can screw up MUCH faster). But also from what I've been reading on sanders I've been looking at, I should probably step up from the "home hobbyist" specials, as they don't appear to hold up well...

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I think I might have checked that out at the library in the past at some point...

As for files vs. sander, I've tried both, I like the sander better, I seem to get better results (and yes, can screw up MUCH faster). But also from what I've been reading on sanders I've been looking at, I should probably step up from the "home hobbyist" specials, as they don't appear to hold up well...

you can get the grizzley for around $500. or you can build your own for even cheaper. you just need a motor, some wheels (doesn't need to be the pricey ones, unless its one you grind on), and a platen. seen guys do it for under $200, and the $50 knife shop shows you one for $68. in 1960s dollars though............

on the OTHER hand. Jeremy Marsh is selling a very awesome grinder up in michigan for $750. its a steal at that price! and worth the drive.......

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    you can get the grizzley for around $500. or you can build your own for even cheaper. you just need a motor, some wheels (doesn't need to be the pricey ones, unless its one you grind on), and a platen. seen guys do it for under $200, and the $50 knife shop shows you one for $68. in 1960s dollars though............

on the OTHER hand. Jeremy Marsh is selling a very awesome grinder up in michigan for $750. its a steal at that price! and worth the drive.......

Yeah, the $159 home improvement store special just doesn't cut it...

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    might check into the grinder in a box from polar bear forge. it is a 2x72 grinder kit based off of the bader III grinder, there are several good threads about it on "blade forums"

google polar bear forge out of south dakota. he makes and sells the kits.

all machines are not equal.

good luck

jake

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i would only build/buy a machine that runs 2x72 belts if you are serious. that is the size that caters to the knife industry. unless you get one of the knife making MACHINES that run a big ol 200" belts or something huge, long like that.......

other sizes you will pay more (all things being equal), have less options, and a harder time finding in stock when you need them.

Top Bottom