• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    What about a bandsaw? I have one. It's one of the porter cable portable saws that a buddy of mine fabricated a stand and work rest for. Perfect for making knives!

probly the porter cable version of a Portaband. a ton of guys use those. i had one of the grizzley style saws. i used it like 3 times. i got a 12" stand up craftsman from Dave and i use that now. sometimes i friction cut, but i usually just use it for handle material.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    you can't FILM stock removal sexiness!!! its impossible. they came here, once, and tried. the camera melted in the face of that much sexiness!!! it was quite dissappointing......

in my shop:

scribes
    surface plates
    markers
    sandpaper, sheets, rolls, and belts
    drivers; screwdrivers, torx drivers, misc. drivers
    drill presses; one table top, one floor
    bandsaw
    grinders; benchtop 8" stone, 1x30 with 4" disc, 2x72, 9" disc grinder, oscillating sander
    toaster oven
    vise
    dremel
    electric pencil
    hacksaw
    various hand power tools

probly missing alot of things....... lol.

not to mention the obligatory thousands of dollars in material....

Lol, you forgot the fridge to keep the beer cold.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    so when you guys first started out forging, how did it start? i mean, after the drinking around the bonfire that is...... and after you figured out you can't, in fact, forge a coke can into a knife.....

what hammers and "anvils" were your firsts?

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Honestly for me I was living in Boston at the time and was going insane from being around city liberals all day and needed an outlet. I was married to an opera singer at the time who was going to school at New England Conservatory and she really thought she had to be close to the school :rolleyes: . Anyway, I put out a cry for help on sword forum and ran into Scott Hurst there who directed me to the original primal fires forum that was run by Tim Lively. Scott invited me to his house in Abington, MA and showed me the basics of forging knives, then I went back to my crappy little apartment and when the diva wasn't around I did all the finishing with whatever files and sandpaper I could get at a true value store that was only 2 subway trains away, lol. My landlord will never know about the pieces of carpet melted when I was hardening blades with a mapp gas torch and a pan of cooking oil. Frankly, I probably stood the risk of burning the whole place down, lol.

I really stuck with forging because I was a third generation carpenter and got good at swinging a hammer. I'm out of town but when I get home (could be a month or so) I will take pics of some stuff I'd done. I got to the point where I could do all the work with a hammer, bevels and everything. It got to be just kinda fun that way.

First anvil that I owned was a Russian cast steel anvil that Harbor Freight used to sell that was a very good anvil. Now they sell only the Chinese cast iron crap. World of difference between cast iron and cast steel. I think my first hammer was a 3 lb. Simple blacksmith hammer.

Top Bottom