• ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I'm looking at one of these rifles, and my C&R senses are tingling! :drool:

What do I need to know? Are they reliable? What weight 9mm do they like? What parts do I need on hand the most? Any "tricks" about them I might wanna know? Probably won't get anything other than the stick mags if I buy one, maybe one drum magazine. I think I might drop my WASR for one of these if I like what I hear here. They came out a while ago so I'm thinking most problems they had in the beginning have been smoothed out.

OH, and if anyone here has one, :postpics:

Literally, please. Even the torch scorched stocks are sexy sitting on that parkerized steel :wwub:

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm looking at one of these rifles, and my C&R senses are tingling! :drool:

What do I need to know? Are they reliable? What weight 9mm do they like? What parts do I need on hand the most? Any "tricks" about them I might wanna know? Probably won't get anything other than the stick mags if I buy one, maybe one drum magazine. I think I might drop my WASR for one of these if I like what I hear here. They came out a while ago so I'm thinking most problems they had in the beginning have been smoothed out.

OH, and if anyone here has one, :postpics:

Literally, please. Even the torch scorched stocks are sexy sitting on that parkerized steel :wub:

Most all sub-guns of that period liked (preferably hot) 124 FMJ. It is reputed to be a smooth shooter with the only caveat being that a full-auto example has a cyclic rate of ~900 rounds per minute, contrasted with about 550 for a Swedish K, a KP44, or an MP40. Incidentally, the Russkies discovered the hard way that they are a SOB in the hands of a Finn doing a drive-by on skis!

97337831-3.jpg

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I own a full auto and have fired it in semi. Its a good subgun and very accurate. No recoil to speak of since it weighs 10 lb and is only a 9mm. As for the semi auto only guns being sold I can't tell you much. They are probably about the same weight as the subgun and as accurate in semi. Most european pistols use a hotter loading than equivalent US ammo but since these are made here ( or the semi version anyway) they may be tuned to run on milder ammo. I'm guessing winchester white box should work but remington of any type won't. The federal stuff probably won't work well either. You'll have to get one and see. They seem to be individuals that need to find their own favorites.

Frank

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Anyone else? Thanks to amafrank.

They kind of excite me also. I've been checking them out on gunbroker for a couple of months. I've not seen one in person yet. After reading about everything I could find on the web, the big complaint seems to be the weight. For the money, it looks like a fun little range toy. One is definitly in my future, there's just too many things ahead of it on the list.

You should get one and give us a review!

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    Shoot great, no recoil, 9mm. Heavy gun 12 + lbs loaded. The bolt started sticking after it got hot untill the parkerize wore off. Coffin and stick mags work great,Its been reported that if drum if fully loaded sometimes they hang up?. I have not used mine yet so I cant report either way on that. I love mine , worth getting one.

037-1.jpg

033.jpg

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Shoot great, no recoil, 9mm. Heavy gun 12 + lbs loaded. The bolt started sticking after it got hot untill the parkerize wore off. Coffin and stick mags work great,Its been reported that if drum if fully loaded sometimes they hang up?. I have not used mine yet so I cant report either way on that. I love mine , worth getting one.

037-1.jpg

033.jpg

Are those yours? :drool: I really REALLY want one as a "do-it-all" gun but I am still on the edge about it...in order to get one I'd have to get rid of my WASR I had saved up for SHTF. The only problem I can see is small parts that might wear out/break. If I were to get one would you recommend polishing the bolt since they were not originally parkerized? What spare parts should I keep around?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I almost want one now...I want to shoot one first however just to be positive. Swissrifles, any weird tricks to know about the Suomi? I know there's one about charging the rifle with the safety off or else it won't load or something, and I know some mags you have to beat for them to catch and others slide in with ease.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Are those yours? :drool: I really REALLY want one as a "do-it-all" gun but I am still on the edge about it...in order to get one I'd have to get rid of my WASR I had saved up for SHTF. The only problem I can see is small parts that might wear out/break. If I were to get one would you recommend polishing the bolt since they were not originally parkerized? What spare parts should I keep around?

The KP31 allegedly never had any parts breakage problems other than the extractor and it reportedly would continue to function without it. I would hate to see you give up your WASR, which truly is a better all around SHTF gun. If you would like to try building a KP31, I have a parts kit I will give you.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    The KP31 allegedly never had any parts breakage problems other than the extractor and it reportedly would continue to function without it. I would hate to see you give up your WASR, which truly is a better all around SHTF gun. If you would like to try building a KP31, I have a parts kit I will give you.

I'd like to get a parts kit, but I have to budget my money for a truck :( It looks relatively easy, just reweld the receiver and get a metal tube to tac-weld onto the end of the barrel to attain legal length.

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    " It looks relatively easy, just reweld the receiver and get a metal tube to tac-weld onto the end of the barrel to attain legal length."

They are extremely hard to build, look this up on other gunboards and the net, you are better off buying one from gunbroker, or Centerfire Systems, Inc. - Your Home For Ammo, Firearms, Magazines, and Gun Accessories. these people make them.
    TNW Firearms, Inc. Manufacturers of the semi-auto 1919, M2HB and MG34..
    I dont know of any quirks other than broken extractor, or springs.

Top Bottom