• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjhans53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    it started off life as a 44 mag, but it was bought with the intent for a 445 sm for indiana backup (if I ever make it back up to hunt with my brother). I was always so the brass could be 1/4" long and I did mess with just using some 445 trimmed down to fit the chamber but I finally bit the bullet, rented the reamer and it is now a 445. This is the 2nd trip with her (the 1st I left the 445 bullets at the house so just messed with the 44's that I took to do a rough sight in). Not great but not lousy either, maybe 1 1/2 at 50 (that's all the range has got)using 240g xtp's it's pleasent to shoot, now it my chono hadn't burned up 18 months ago I could tell ya what I'm getting out a 22" tube but alas maybe it's one of those I'll get another one tomorrow deals. Oh for the record I've got a 358 bfg, one of my 35 shorts for indiana also, but I guess I need excuses for my madness. Now if I could just come up with some rifle reload data life would be great

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Hey RJ,

It took me a minute to figure out that a "KP1" is Knight utility rifle, with yours being originally chambered in 44 Magnum. After reaming it out to the longer 1.620" 445 Super Mag length, all you really need to do is follow TC Contender data.

The 445SM is a 'tweener cartridge that needs the very slowest pistol powder (H110/W296/Li'l Gun/2400) or it needs the faster rifle powders, like IMR4227. The discontinued W680 was PERFECT for the 445SM, but good luck finding any. A very good compromise for this cartridge is AA1680. It will deliver ideal load density and excellent velocity, regardless of barrel length.

If you'd like to discuss some loads (I'd go with a heavier bullet, personally) send me a PM.

rjhans53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Went to the range this am. It's only a 50 yd range but it's where I do most my shooting at. 4227 under a 240 xtp does 1/2-3/4 at 50 and that's counting the fliers at 2x setting on the scope. I think I've got a keeper

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That's moving for a 240gr XTP! :)

I would be inclined to use a heavier bullet; one designed for higher impact velocities. I'm not saying the XTP will come apart on you, but a 265gr bullet would probably fly just as flat and be more reliable, on the terminal end of things. :twocents:

Top Bottom