• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Schonburg Palace and grounds Vienna, Austria. Summer residence of the Habsburgs until 1918.

IMG_1252.JPG

IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG
    IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1270 correct.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well I'm kinda biased. :)

Chime in Sylvain, you (a native, lol) are and anybody else with European experiences is more than welcome to chime in. However, if you start in about the manliness of man-pris and man buns, I going to have to ask you to stop.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I just want the lowdown on Dublin. I hear it's beautiful over there.

This is an ancient story (around 1990 or so), but I'm curious if Kut experienced anything similar:

Some friends and I flew from Germany where we were stationed to Dublin for its 1000 year anniversary (the Irish did not really know if it was exactly 1000, but close enough for a party) to watch an American football game (yes really) between USMA (West Point) and Boston College (BC was considered home team). The day prior to the game we spent touristing -- plan was to shop in the morning, eat lunch at O'Donohue's pub, and then take some city tours. First half of the plan went OK, we shopped, then met at the pub.

We didn't get out of the pub until about 8 pm, and then it took massive effort to break away.

The Irish talked our ears off, and they were great fun. We sat a table with a little old man who had a fiddle, and he played whatever we asked, while we bought him Guiness's everytime we ordered a round. In between our rounds he would drink one or two on his own. He did this for hours on end. Everybody came by to ask if we were in town for the game, who we were rooting for, and how do you play American football anyway? Yak yak yak drink yak drink drink, lather rinse repeat. For hours.

We started getting really embarrassed when we realized that local shopkeepers we met at lunch were coming back in for dinner after they closed their shops -- and we were still there. yak yak drink drink repeat.

Finally we said "Enough!" We asked who had the best fish & chips in town. A local lass volunteered to take us, seemed like we staggered all the way across town to some "to go" only place and ate on the sidewalk. Then she took us on a pub crawl! One of the places was supposed to be the oldest continuously operated bar in Dublin/Ireland/World/Universe --- or so they claimed.

Anyway it was a great time, and the game was a hoot.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So we went to the Schonburg Palace which is on the outskirts of the city. We took a train to the palace on a 90+ degree day... I was dreading it. ***Fun tip for Americans traveling to Europe, don't EVER expect ice cold AC, and sometimes, don't expect it at all***
    Anyways the Palace and it grounds were huge. The grounds consisted of stables, botanical gardens, a couple of hedge mazes, a dang ZOO, and tiergarten (which can mean zoo/park/both in this case park).
    I was dying, I drank water and beer like it was a precious commodity... we walked approximately 8 miles while on the grounds, and STILL did not see it all.
    As we finished with the stables and gardens, we turned the corner to see the "backyard," and my heart sank.... more walking...

IMG_1267.JPG

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This is an ancient story (around 1990 or so), but I'm curious if Kut experienced anything similar:

Some friends and I flew from Germany where we were stationed to Dublin for its 1000 year anniversary (the Irish did not really know if it was exactly 1000, but close enough for a party) to watch an American football game (yes really) between USMA (West Point) and Boston College (BC was considered home team). The day prior to the game we spent touristing -- plan was to shop in the morning, eat lunch at O'Donohue's pub, and then take some city tours. First half of the plan went OK, we shopped, then met at the pub.

We didn't get out of the pub until about 8 pm, and then it took massive effort to break away.

The Irish talked our ears off, and they were great fun.
    We sat a table with a little old man who had a fiddle, and he played whatever we asked, while we bought him Guiness's everytime we ordered a round. In between our rounds he would drink one or two on his own. He did this for hours on end. Everybody came by to ask if we were in town for the game, who we were rooting for, and how do you play American football anyway? Yak yak yak drink yak drink drink, lather rinse repeat. For hours.

We started getting really embarrassed when we realized that local shopkeepers we met at lunch were coming back in for dinner after they closed their shops -- and we were still there. yak yak drink drink repeat.

Finally we said "Enough!" We asked who had the best fish & chips in town. A local lass volunteered to take us, seemed like we staggered all the way across town to some "to go" only place and ate on the sidewalk. Then she took us on a pub crawl! One of the places was supposed to be the oldest continuously operated bar in Dublin/Ireland/World/Universe --- or so they claimed.

Anyway it was a great time, and the game was a hoot.

Oh yeah, the Irish talked our ears off too. It started as soon as we got in a cab from the airport to our hotel. My experience is very very similar. I drank lots of alcohol, and talked a bunch.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kut's European Travel Tip #2.

If you're thirsty, and want water, you better ask, specifically, for "still" or "no gas" water. If not, you will be given "carbonated" also called "with gas", or "sparkling water".... or as my friend's wife says "hot water" lol, Hoosiers.
    If you drink enough, you may prefer (which I actually do).

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

If you're thirsty, and want water, you better ask, specifically, for "still" or "no gas" water. If not, you will be given "carbonated" also called "with gas", or "sparkling water".... or as my friend's wife says "hot water" lol, Hoosiers.

And no ice. Unless you ask for it. Which they think is odd.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Chime in Sylvain, you (a native, lol) are and anybody else with European experiences is more than welcome to chime in. However, if you start in about the manliness of man-pris and man buns, I going to have to ask you to stop.

I actually meant I'm biased when it comes to how Europeans view Americans.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

The thing for carbonated water depends where you are.
    I know in Belgium I have to ask for "flat water" ("eau plate" in French) or they will give me carbonated one otherwise.

Also if you ask for water in a French restaurant they will bring you an expensive ice cold bottle of Evian, if you ask for a "carafe of water", it will be cold tap water ... and free.
    Both taste the same.
    Or you can ask for just a glass of water, they are required to provide you with water for free.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I actually meant I'm biased when it comes to how Europeans view Americans.

Oh, I'm sure you mean the loud and arrogant thing, and loud again. I am certainly familiar with that opinion... and there is certainly truth to that.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The thing for carbonated water depends where you are.
    I know in Belgium I have to ask for "flat water" ("eau plate" in French) or they will give me carbonated one otherwise.

Also if you ask for water in a French restaurant they will bring you an expensive ice cold bottle of Evian, if you ask for a "carafe of water", it will be cold tap water ... and free.
    Both taste the same.
    Or you can ask for just a glass of water, they are required to provide you with water for free.

Wikipedia give you that tip as well, so you know it's true ...

In France, carafes are commonly used to serve water. To order acarafe d'eau ("carafe of water") is to request to be served (free)tap water rather than bottled water at a cost.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Oh, I'm sure you mean the loud and arrogant thing, and loud again. I am certainly familiar with that opinion... and there is certainly truth to that.

I just mean I know quite a few Americans, way more than the average European who has on opinion on Americans without knowing any or having been to the states.

The ones I met are pretty awesome so I have a relly good opinion of Americans in general, probably better than yours since I didn't get to meet any bad ones. :):

Top Bottom