• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Talkinghalls

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2020
    NW Indiana
    I'm looking for a holster for a Ruger GP100 that I'll be picking up tomorrow, in the past I have preferred kydex holsters over leather for daily wear. But I'm not sure if that'll scratch up the gun. Thoughts?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Any gun will aquire holster wear if it's holstered and carried. And if you're going to carry a gun, you need to practice with it. And dry-fire with it. A lot. It's a life-saving tool, it's gonna develop holster wear.

Leather can, will, and does hold on to grit and grime that makes its way into the holster.

Kydex is generally able to keep things much cleaner - you can literally hose it out.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Any gun will aquire holster wear if it's holstered and carried. And if you're going to carry a gun, you need to practice with it. And dry-fire with it. A lot. It's a life-saving tool, it's gonna develop holster wear.

Leather can, will, and does hold on to grit and grime that makes its way into the holster.

Kydex is generally able to keep things much cleaner - you can literally hose it out.

I used to want to keep my firearms blemish free. Now I would love to have a well worn finish on my firearm proving that I have put in the time and reps to actually get good with it.

OP, leather, if you keep it clean and don't store your gun it in it may be a little easier on the finish, but Kydex is not too bad either.

I carry a Shield in a leather Tucker holster and I shoot it quite a bit with holster draws, and holstering when I leave and unholstering when I get back home. There is virtually no wear yet in the areas where one would expect to see wear. But I am less than a year in at this point and for the first 7 months I didn't shoot it as often as I am now.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Not sure what you mean by “scratch up”, I’ve never had Kydex what I would call scratch up a gun, but the finish can show wear, no different than leather can wear on one eventually.

Top Bottom