• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    I try not to leave anything apart too long. When I tear a firearm down I use the plastic trays that small microwave dinners come in for temporary storage. If it will be apart for awhile I use freezer bags for small parts. Spare parts and misc are stored in tackle box type containers.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    For spare parts, one of those multi-drawer boxes found at Home Depot and elsewhere. For a few firearms, there is a complete set of replacement parts.

For something that's being worked on and returned to service quickly, just a box marked with the specific gun. If the part (say, a stock) is too large for the box, I simply use masking tape and a Sharpie to mark the part.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I've torn town and rebuilt a 10" lathe and vertical mill; as you can imagine they have a ton of parts. What I eventually settled on was putting parts from each subassembly in an appropriately sized ziplock bag and writing the name of the assembly with marker on the bag. Keeping them in order of disassembly makes it easier to remember the order in which they go back together.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I've torn town and rebuilt a 10" lathe and vertical mill; as you can imagine they have a ton of parts. What I eventually settled on was putting parts from each subassembly in an appropriately sized ziplock bag and writing the name of the assembly with marker on the bag. Keeping them in order of disassembly makes it easier to remember the order in which they go back together.

This!

Ziplock bags & shoe boxes or other small boxes are great to group things in by subject. If the parts are thin. Pizza boxes stack real well.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not a gunsmith in any way, shape, or form. But, I DO disassemble all sorts of stuff. I subscribe to the "ziplock" baggie method mentioned by engineerpower above. I go through TONS of ziplocks and sharpies, but I rarely misplace anything any longer. For somewhat larger things, I use coffee cans. For something REALLY big, just painter's tape and a sharpie. Though, if it is THAT big, it won't get lost and I will likely remember what it came from!

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Those baggies that all the small parts ship in. I use a lot of those.
    I also have been blessed with the ability to recognize parts for each make and model of gun I have pulled apart. Now keeping them from getting lost, that's a different issue...

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    +2 I do this same thing. One handy thing is to also have a computer next to you and google and/or youtube at the ready if you forget how certain pieces fit together. Happens to me all the time. I can only remember so many things if I have been staring at one or two designs all day, I may forget something that usually isnt a problem for me and need a reminder.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Those baggies that all the small parts ship in. I use a lot of those.
    I also have been blessed with the ability to recognize parts for each make and model of gun I have pulled apart. Now keeping them from getting lost, that's a different issue...
    +1 Nothing like recognizing right off the bat where something goes. Every so often, however, sombody will bring me something queer that isnt common and I wont know any parts except the ones that are glaringly obvious.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    All of the above are great methods of storing and sorting parts. The main thing to do as you disassemble anything, firearm, auto, or computer, take plenty of photos as it comes apart. This will definitely help during reassembly. I always photo things, it comes in handy all the time to remember sizes and part numbers.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A trick I used when rebuilding an axle a while back, was to print off the "exploded" parts diagram, and then label each baggie with the corresponding number/name in the diagram. Made ordering replacement parts easy, too.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    All of the above are great methods of storing and sorting parts. The main thing to do as you disassemble anything, firearm, auto, or computer, take plenty of photos as it comes apart. This will definitely help during reassembly. I always photo things, it comes in handy all the time to remember sizes and part numbers.

A trick I used when rebuilding an axle a while back, was to print off the "exploded" parts diagram, and then label each baggie with the corresponding number/name in the diagram. Made ordering replacement parts easy, too.

^^^ THIS.

When I tore down my '67 Firebird I stuck numbered pieces of masking tape to each part and took a picture of the entire assembly/sub-assembly. I then wrapped each part in its corresponding numbered tape and bagged with the rest of the assembly.

When it came time to re-assemble, I simply looked at the picture and put each numbered piece back to match the photo.

Top Bottom