• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Is it just me, I do not beleve that a union should endorce a political canadate without a vote from the union membership! MY union is behind and giving money to the duma++ in charge and up for reelection:xmad:. The dues I pay are to go to my defence if managment trys to screw me, so why in the hell are they going to someones campain! Because My union says they know best! the dumasss in charge will not hurt our company, I have been trying to press a giverance to the national level, but to no result. What do you think?

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Yeah, I don't agree our unions should actually 'endorse' or promote a given candidate. But it's been going on for years, and MOST unions are pro-Dem.

However, on an interesting note-

Tho 99% of the nations coal workers are union folks...... those in W VA, western Pennsylvania and southwestern Virginia, are 90% leaning for Mitt Romney.... INSPITE of their unions.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    However, on an interesting note-

Tho 99% of the nations coal workers are union folks...... those in W VA, western Pennsylvania and southwestern Virginia, are 90% leaning for Mitt Romney.... INSPITE of their unions.

I am from Central Virginia. Those areas are leaning towards Romney for a number of reasons, but I will say that calling it "racism" is incorrect, and an over-simplification. However, based on the history of the region, I imagine that their unions are very wisely sitting this one out...as they did during the last election.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I am from Central Virginia. Those areas are leaning towards Romney for a number of reasons, but I will say that calling it "racism" is incorrect, and an over-simplification. However, based on the history of the region, I imagine that their unions are very wisely sitting this one out...as they did during the last election.

Where did I say anything about 'racism'???

I was talking about Obama's rejection of clean-coal energy. And Romney, embracing it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Now for the really fun part! Labor unions are tax exempt as 501c5 organizations. The get the tax exemption, but unlike your church, they can roll in politics all they like. I would like to hear all the people who routinely whine about churches being tax exempt explain to us why they don't have a critical word to say about unions getting the same benefits without any of the restrictions. Oh, never mind. The house of representatives was under control of one particular party for 46 years straight, then changed hands back and forth over the last 18 years. In any event the tax code appears to have been designed with a 'punish our enemies' attitude while accounting for the fact that completely cutting off the exemption for churches would not have been tolerated--but their union supporters got the much better deal which allowed for overt political activism while muzzling the opposition.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Where did I say anything about 'racism'???

I was talking about Obama's rejection of clean-coal energy. And Romney, embracing it.

You didn't say anything about 'racism', nor was it my intention to imply that you did. I was clarifying my own expansion on the interesting point you made. The coal aspect is an important consideration, but media was quick to play the 'R' card last election. I was simply saying that there are a number of complex issues in those hills.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    All Big companies have PAC (Political Action Committies) same as labor. I don't vote with my union any more than I vote With the NRA. I vote with my head and heart.

I pay for protection. I pay for COPE and I get little in return. Labor unions outside of the governments payroll should be allow some kind of voice. Those who make it off the governments coffers are another story as your money is what they are spending.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    If the republicans would say "we love you trade unionists" the democrats would be in the the minority for a long time. Philosophically most guys I know are conservative socially and fiscally but the go pull for the "d" because we are told the republicans are going to make us starve.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Don't get me started. Unions have outlived their purpose. They are now a business with their primary occupation of bleeding proffits from companies and wages from employees. Everything they do now is to perpetuate their hold on American labor and its share of the take. If they only performed their original purpose no one would pay dues. So they promise and barter for more and more compensation for less and less work. Then when they helped chase American companies overseas they decided that government workers "need" unions too.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    If the republicans would say "we love you trade unionists" the democrats would be in the the minority for a long time. Philosophically most guys I know are conservative socially and fiscally but the go pull for the "d" because we are told the republicans are going to make us starve.

a) why do you buy that line?
    b) a conservative (or a libertarian for that matter) generally wants EVERYONE to have the chance to get ahead. They do love workers - just not union organizers - those run counter to them philosophically.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Unions have a place, especially for unskilled workers but they go overboard and make a bad name for themselves.

I don't get skilled labor unions though. I see if limiting what some people can make if they are really skilled.

Public unions also have a place but should be limited to workplace environment and disputes and be banned, like Federal unions are, from collective bargaining for your tax dollars, strikes, and forced union dues.

I don't have any problem with them supporting a candidate like any corporation can.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Someone mentioned churches, well the churches have screwed themselves. If they would quit incorporating the church with the government they could pretty much do what they want. IRS code 508 lets them do that if they wish. I imagine the only churches that go the 508 route are some of the Catholic churches anymore

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Is it just me, I do not beleve that a union should endorce a political canadate without a vote from the union membership! MY union is behind and giving money to the duma++ in charge and up for reelection:xmad:. The dues I pay are to go to my defence if managment trys to screw me, so why in the hell are they going to someones campain! Because My union says they know best! the dumasss in charge will not hurt our company, I have been trying to press a giverance to the national level, but to no result. What do you think?

Agre... I'm a union member also and don't like my dues going to a party I do not wish to suport..

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The unions support the dems. Big, evil corporations hire union members. The pro-labor dems cripple every big, evil corporation that they can paint as doing wrong to the defenseless workers. Big evil corporations get strangled by government regulations, in the name of helping labor. Big, evil corporation leaves for china. Union member loses job.

Doesn't make much sense.:dunno:

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    quit whining and run for higher offices in the union and change policy.
    otherwise vote for who you want and how you want it.

republicans have churches for moral and fiscal support, democrats have unions for the same reason.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    quit whining and run for higher offices in the union and change policy.
    otherwise vote for who you want and how you want it.

republicans have churches for moral and fiscal support, democrats have unions for the same reason.

This is a little on the naive side. You could become president of a local union, but your not going to change the politics. Case in point, Right To Work. The money from my union came from the district level, not the local. Step out of line, and you'll be crushed by the national.

As for the churches, there are several differences. If you don't like the politics of your church, you can switch to a different one that better represents your views. Try that with a union, hell, good luck finding a union that represents your politics.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Someone mentioned churches, well the churches have screwed themselves. If they would quit incorporating the church with the government they could pretty much do what they want. IRS code 508 lets them do that if they wish. I imagine the only churches that go the 508 route are some of the Catholic churches anymore

You are right that it could be avoided, but my point is that it is asinine to have two different standards. Now that I am fully awake, I would also point out that if unions, which are primarily political organizations have tax-exempt status, then why do other political organizations not have this available to them? Why does this sweetheart deal get constantly overlooked, especially when the unions habitually support politicians hell-bent on destroying the republic?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Is it just me, I do not believe that a union should endorse a political candidate without a vote from the union membership! MY union is behind and giving money to the duma++ in charge and up for reelection:xmad:. The dues I pay are to go to my defense if management tries to screw me, so why in the hell are they going to someones campain! Because My union says they know best! the dumasss in charge will not hurt our company, I have been trying to press a grievance to the national level, but to no result. What do you think?

You obviously don't understand Unions - it's not a democracy. There's an elite power structure at the top that determines the course of actions.

Kinda reminds me of a group of people that made some of my favorite guns, like the Mosin Nagant, AK, Makarov... :D

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I always get a good laugh how it's terrible for corporations to support a candidate, but it perfectly fine for unions to support a candidate.

BOTH are groups of people, and BOTH are "shareholders" of their respective groups.

Top Bottom