Lack of 22LR affecting sales of 22LR firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    When we get 22 ammo, people ask about the price. The expensive stuff sits around for a while.

We're not seeing that. We've been getting a lot of the GECO Auto Match coming through, and even at $6.95/50, it sells out very quickly.

And OP, to answer your question, lack of ammo availability has put a drag on the sale of .22LR firearms, but "tanked" might be a bit harsh. The Ruger SR22 series is still pretty hot, and the inexpensive Heritage revolvers are always popular. .22 rifles are moving, but not in the numbers they used to. 10/22 sales have dropped off significantly.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just got a MidwayUSA Product Arrival Notification for Federal Bulk pack. Sitting at the PC, I watched it come in. Still it was sold out. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

The top add in the INGO ammo classifieds has it for double the price. :xmad::xmad::xmad:

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I thought about how much I enjoy shooting .22 the other day, started looking online at a few choices. Then remembered the ammo dearth out there and figured I'll wait a year or so. At this point I'd rather buy a bolt .223 over a .22 as at least I could shoot it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    if I can't find ammo for it then I'm not going to buy it.

You mean if you can't find it like, today? :dunno:

I tell my customers that basing one's buying decision on what ammo is currently available is foolish, because price and availability of all popular pistol calibers is in flux right now. Today we might have 9mm on the shelf but not .40. Tomorrow it might be the reverse. When we finally do get that elusive .22LR bulk pack back in stock, the gun you were drooling over might be long gone. Buy the gun you want when you want it; ammo will come around.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    You mean if you can't find it like, today? :dunno:

I tell my customers that basing one's buying decision on what ammo is currently available is foolish, because price and availability of all popular pistol calibers is in flux right now. Today we might have 9mm on the shelf but not .40. Tomorrow it might be the reverse. When we finally do get that elusive .22LR bulk pack back in stock, the gun you were drooling over might be long gone. Buy the gun you want when you want it; ammo will come around.

Agreed! I bought 2 buckets of bullets a while back at GM. They only sold them to me because I bought a gun. Buy what you want when you can.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Funny thing, I was looking around on Gunbot, and you can get 7.62x39mm for around $0.25 a round, which is cheaper then any .22 ammo I can find around me. So looks like I might by a few 100 round sticks. For once in my life, God Bless those Russians

But you think about it, given that centerfire rounds cost many many times more then rimfire .22, if the gun company CEOs should massivly increase production and we should have a glut of .22 in the summer. For the cost of materials, selling .22 at current market prices is like printing $100s

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes it has.

I figured as much, thanks!

So, most people in this thread say, "no, the lack of ammo doesn't affect gun sales." However, you focus on the one, very terse post that states it does affect sales? :scratch: Talk about confirmation bias....

Judging from Ruger's sales figures, I'd have to say that it does not affect sales too much.
    RGR: Summary for Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. Co- Yahoo! Finance
    New Firearms Lift Sturm Ruger 3Q Sales to 45% Gain | Fox Business

All gun sales are up, but hass .22 LR firearms increased as much as centerfire - that's the real question.

Anecdotally, someone's buying up all the ammo, so at least they will need firearms.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Not for me. When i go to the 1500. The first thing i'm looking for is a ruger sr22 to take home and play with. Just tell everyone that askes about .22ammo to quit paying inflated prices and eventually you will see it on the shelves again.

Cj52racers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I would love to pick up another .22 LR rifle, but I can barely feed the one I have. Was down in Lexington and bought a decent amount of ammo at Bud's, but I don't see it too often so I have started looking at other things. If I saw a great price on something I wanted though, I probably wouldn't hesitate. Things fluctuate so much and so often I feel I'd be foolish to miss out on a .22 I wanted due to it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Funny thing, I was looking around on Gunbot, and you can get 7.62x39mm for around $0.25 a round, which is cheaper then any .22 ammo I can find around me.

At that price .22 would have to be $125 a brick. Even at inflated prices it isn't that much.

I just bought my first .22 ammo in a year and paid $7 for a hundred CCI. That's $35 a brick which is below the flipping prices and is a much better quality ammo at normal price.

Like anything, ammo is out there at reasonable prices if people are willing to be patient.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I've been wanting a tactical 22 but the lack of ammo has stopped me from purchasing one. Maybe when they get more common I'll pick up a 22 rifle.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    At that price .22 would have to be $125 a brick. Even at inflated prices it isn't that much.

I just bought my first .22 ammo in a year and paid $7 for a hundred CCI. That's $35 a brick which is below the flipping prices and is a much better quality ammo at normal price.

Like anything, ammo is out there at reasonable prices if people are willing to be patient.

If those are mini mags you bought, that's basically what they were before the craziness. Usually the best I could find 100 rd sleeve of mini-mags for was about $6.50 (and this was one time that Gander Mountain was actually in line with Walmart on price).

Cj52racers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    If those are mini mags you bought, that's basically what they were before the craziness. Usually the best I could find 100 rd sleeve of mini-mags for was about $6.50 (and this was one time that Gander Mountain was actually in line with Walmart on price).
    I haven't seen mini-mags in a long time, but yeah, they were roughly $6 per 100 last time I bought them. $7 is a pretty good deal. I have seen decent prices though, I bought CCI Standards at Bud's for 4.99/100. That was over a month ago though.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    i got one for a ridiculously good price during this craze. Sure ammo is scarce and high priced, thats why i wait.....shoot a little of what i already got, but maybe this is the time to buy one

BEBOATS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Paoli, Indiana
    It has certainly cooled my desire for a couple of rifles I want. There is no way I will contribute to the flippers excess profit for ammo.
    About I hope for now is people will quit doing the same.

Predator hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Greenwood
    I bought 3 22s in the last two months. A bolt gun for the wife and ruger 10 22 for a project and a ruger 22/45 for a suppressor gun. Shortage of ammo hasn't stopped me I know it will come around some time or another

nobek102

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    I was thinking of purchasing a .22 rifle but not being able to find ammo anywhere has stopped me from doin so...

Top Bottom