• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    My wife to be is looking at getting a decent arm for conceal carry and some plinkin. The PX4 Storm caught her eye and I'm wondering what you think Of it or alternatives. I know the storm is a lil heavy, but she needs something that isn't too snappy. She's only been shooting a p22 and recently she shot my full size steel baby eagle in 9mm. She needs to strengthen her hands on something bigger than the p22.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Bring her to a gun show and let her handle as many pistols as possible... she needs to confident with this decision. Don't discount the 22mag or 32mag also...as many guns as possible.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Theres a local show coming up in Sept in Valpo, but I'll be working that weekend and can't go :(. I've had her fondle lots of stuff at Cabela's and Blythe's but she wasn't thinking about it then (before that whacko held up the real estate office in Valpo a few weeks ago).

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Have her shoot as many as she can don't rule out 9mm and above. Any shop that says she need a 38 of 380 just walk out of unless she has shot and likes shooting those guns. Here at Kodiak we get a lot of women who get told that they should only have a revolver or 380 auto then they hate them. We get quiet a few who enjoy the larger calibers as well.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I don't think she's up for over 9mm. My friend's PPQ in .40S&W scared her a bit.

Edit: But yea I agree, the 38 or 380 thing is dumb.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I carry 40 S&W. It has a snappier recoil than both 9mm and 45. Please don't start anyone who might be sensitive to recoil out with 40 S&W.

Have her shoot as many as possible to find what she likes.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    My wife likes her S&W bodyguard. 380.
    It's easy for her to pull the slide back and she feels more comfortable with the manual safety "for now"

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I don't think she's up for over 9mm. My friend's PPQ in .40S&W scared her a bit.

In equal sized frames of the same material, a .45 (being bigger diameter than a 9mm, or a .40) leaves the bore much slower, causing LESS perceived recoil and muzzle flip. The push of a .45 is much less aggressive than the snap & slap of a 9mm.
    Don't discount a .45...

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    How is her technique? I'm asking because my wife LOVES her LC9 but that thing has a trigger pull from here to Sandusky, Ohio.

It's a great little shooter in her small hands. I honestly can't hit the broad side of the barn with it but she is pretty accurate from 7 yards offhand. The LGS that sold it to her actually hung up a dirty bird silhouette target she brought back by on the wall...

They have trigger kits available for them to lighten that pull up though.

It's not exactly a pocket gun (for her) but it conceals itself easily enough in her purse when she does carry.

(Edit - the gun IS a little snappy but my wife has learned to control it very well...)

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    How is her technique? I'm asking because my wife LOVES her LC9 but that thing has a trigger pull from here to Sandusky, Ohio.

It's a great little shooter in her small hands. I honestly can't hit the broad side of the barn with it but she is pretty accurate from 7 yards offhand. The LGS that sold it to her actually hung up a dirty bird silhouette target she brought back by on the wall...

They have trigger kits available for them to lighten that pull up though.

It's not exactly a pocket gun (for her) but it conceals itself easily enough in her purse when she does carry.

(Edit - the gun IS a little snappy but my wife has learned to control it very well...)

She definitely needs work on technique, but I think what will help most is something to strengthen her grip. I'll keep the bodyguard in mind, though.

She'd most likely purse carry.

45 will not be discounted, although I think the overall recoil may be too big of a jump. Could be wrong though (I haven't shot 45 myself).

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    With ANY caliber, the trade off for more concealability (lighter & smaller), there is more perceived recoil.
    Light little gun = more muzzle flip.
    Heavier w/ longer barrel = more pleasant to the palm and easier/quicker target reacquisition for follow ups.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    With ANY caliber, the trade off for more concealability (lighter & smaller), there is more perceived recoil.
    Light little gun = more muzzle flip.
    Heavier w/ longer barrel = more pleasant to the palm and easier/quicker target reacquisition for follow ups.

If I'm understanding you correctly, a compact 9mm will have more perceived recoil than a compact .45 of similar weight/etc characteristics?

Top Bottom