Ladies...do you have a prefered carry method?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    That's exactly how I used to carry.
    Turning the grip around the "right":rolleyes: way was too awkward to draw smoothly from and it forced you to do this chicken wing move that was...well... nuff said.
    Anyhow, people warned me and warned me about carrying that way if I should happen to fall.
    Turns out I fell once in the driveway slipping on ice and once from a ladder about four rungs up. Landed on my back both times...didn't hurt more than my pride.
    So tell Cathy to rock on. :rockwoot:

And that ^ is an EXCELLENT point.:yesway:

Seeing the picture makes more sense to me now. I'll have to recommend that to my wife. That would work pretty well for her when she go walking in the evenings. The purse carry is probably what she's most likely to do in other scenarios, so I need to ecourage her to practice removing from the purse.

And, since she seems to have plenty of extra purses stashed in the closet, maybe try some range time shooting through the bottom of a few of them. :D

Thanks!

LittleLady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Where did you get your purse? I've looked at Galco and there were a couple I would seriously consider, but good points have been made about the purse being a target, as well. I just need to find something I can physically carry (I have a small frame), so carrying it on my hip is uncomfortable, and carrying in a purse can be extremely heavy. I'm just considering options at this point, I know it's going to be heavy no matter which way I carry, but I want a way to carry that I will feel the most comfortable, so that I actually carry.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Why dont you ladies get together and put together a "designer" purse and start a company or patent everything and sell it to vera bradley or something :)

LittleLady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Not a bad idea, actually. The salesman at Gander Mtn (Indy) suggested that as well. I suppose if we did, we could patent it & retire :) If I only knew how to sew.... ;)

17Chap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Be careful with this! Practice your draw and presentation a lot. With the grip oriented this way it will be hard not to sweep your lower body and major arteries in a hurried and stressful draw.

JLJ

Right handed

Like so:
    020.jpg

021.jpg

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Not a bad idea, actually. The salesman at Gander Mtn (Indy) suggested that as well. I suppose if we did, we could patent it & retire :) If I only knew how to sew.... ;)

Ok my friend knows all the patent trademark stuff you gals coem up with it I can make soem phone calls! lol

cka314

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I love my Galco ankle holster. Works with boot cut jeans and my work pants. I hate the pancake holsters. Am considering a shoulder one for the winter months.

As for the photos, isn't it rather *painful* to sit in the car with that thing in your back? Maybe I'll try it tomorrow...

LittleLady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    I don't advocate off-body carry, but we all do the best we can with what we've got... Have her check out cornered cat. There's a section that deals with this topic.
    I used to carry my .38 snubby IWB, just off center of small-of-back. But now I much prefer strong side OWB since I started carrying my Kimber. It's not a full sized, but I've carried one for a month or so and it wasn't much different.
    I haven't tried a shoulder rig like Annie Oakley suggests, but she's not the first woman I've heard endorse them. YMMV

Cornered cat provided a wealth of information, thank you!

LittleLady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    I love my Galco ankle holster. Works with boot cut jeans and my work pants. I hate the pancake holsters. Am considering a shoulder one for the winter months.

As for the photos, isn't it rather *painful* to sit in the car with that thing in your back? Maybe I'll try it tomorrow...

check out the cornered cat link...in the back carry is dangerous for a couple of reasons: moving the holstered gun even further to the rear, so that any part of it is held over the spinal column, creates two safety issues. The first is that if you ever fall on top of your holstered gun, there is some chance of spinal damage. How significant the risk is will depend upon a lot of factors, but it bears mentioning. The other safety issue is that it is nearly impossible to draw from a small of back holster without sweeping a wide area behind and around you. (From their website- I take no credit for that info) Cornered Cat - Straight Talk About Curves

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ok for the carrying the gun in the lower back, not a good idea. Too far to go to reach my gun quickly, back problems are sure to come from the lower back carry.

ALSO first thing anyone is going to take from you when you are in a dangerous situation is your purse. So I never EVER would carry in my purse. I like my crossbreed mini tuck for conceal carry.

MiniTuck

Top Bottom