• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I'm definately going to talk to her about it. A bit of a drive for us, but if it gets her more comfortable with handguns and helps her get over her problem with them, it'd be worth way more than the cost of the trip.

Yes it is quiet a drive for you, but last time I went 3 1/2 hours to this training and would do it again in a heart beat.

Would you care to share what issues she has? Maybe we ladies will have some suggestions for her.

I'm [STRIKE]tentatively[/STRIKE] in

FTFY :D

Desdinova

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    Austin
    As I understand it, she has three major issues with handguns. Her most common objection is that she has problems shooting them. Which is why I would like to see her take a class like this. She also brings up safety issues since we have four kids. I've shown her about a dozen different ways to secure a handgun and we've talked about teaching them about gun safety, but she's still not convinced.

The major problem, I think, is the third issue. When we were dating, she told me a lot stories about her ex-husband. One of them involved him putting a gun to her head and threatening to kill her. I hope she knows I would never do something like that, but an event like that can generate a lot of fear in someone when the idea of getting a handgun comes up. That's why I'm taking it very slow on the issue. She's fine with rifles and shotguns, but handgun ownership may be a ways in the future for both of us.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    As I understand it, she has three major issues with handguns. Her most common objection is that she has problems shooting them. Which is why I would like to see her take a class like this. She also brings up safety issues since we have four kids. I've shown her about a dozen different ways to secure a handgun and we've talked about teaching them about gun safety, but she's still not convinced.

The major problem, I think, is the third issue. When we were dating, she told me a lot stories about her ex-husband. One of them involved him putting a gun to her head and threatening to kill her. I hope she knows I would never do something like that, but an event like that can generate a lot of fear in someone when the idea of getting a handgun comes up. That's why I'm taking it very slow on the issue. She's fine with rifles and shotguns, but handgun ownership may be a ways in the future for both of us.

She will learn the skill set to be able to handle the gun safely, to hit what she is shooting at, and the skill set to never have to be in that position again! :D

browncofiddler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Brown County
    I'm late to this thread but....if the class isn't already filled I'd love to come to this class. I've never had any hand gun instruction and would love to get educated! I went to an Appleseed and loved it, but don't know anything about hand guns. Please put me on the list, if it's not too late. Thanks!

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I'm late to this thread but....if the class isn't already filled I'd love to come to this class. I've never had any hand gun instruction and would love to get educated! I went to an Appleseed and loved it, but don't know anything about hand guns. Please put me on the list, if it's not too late. Thanks!

There is more than enough room for you! Looking forward to seeing every one there!! :D

Gungirl30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012

Wow!!

Desdinova

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    Austin
    The wife and I had a talk about this yesterday since she was reading everything I've posted on INGO while I was at work. She was a little angry with me for telling you guys what happened to her, which is understandable, but I explained a few things I don't think she'd considered. I don't know that it changed her mind on anything, but at least she said she will think about us getting a handgun at some point. At least now she understands that I'm thinking about how I'm going to protect her and the kids if and when needed, rather than just thinking about getting something that goes bang for fun.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    The wife and I had a talk about this yesterday since she was reading everything I've posted on INGO while I was at work. She was a little angry with me for telling you guys what happened to her, which is understandable, but I explained a few things I don't think she'd considered. I don't know that it changed her mind on anything, but at least she said she will think about us getting a handgun at some point. At least now she understands that I'm thinking about how I'm going to protect her and the kids if and when needed, rather than just thinking about getting something that goes bang for fun.
    even if she doesn't feel up to taking training having her there so she can talk to women who have been there with kids in the house, talk about how we deal with it, etc... just seeing the training might be good. I hope she does decide to attend. Not necessarily to get a gun in her hand, but so she can talk with us.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    even if she doesn't feel up to taking training having her there so she can talk to women who have been there with kids in the house, talk about how we deal with it, etc... just seeing the training might be good. I hope she does decide to attend. Not necessarily to get a gun in her hand, but so she can talk with us.

:+1:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    What Mrs.G said! And to up that anti a little I also have 4 kiddo's in the house. So maybe I can help with the issues she's having with them and gun ownership.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    My wife is in. She in an Applecore volunteer with Appleseed and a fair shot with her handgun in slow aimed fire, but has never worked on drawing from a holster or defensive styles of shooting.

Is 500 rounds a conservative or generous estimate on ammo? I still need to get the dies and prove out a round for her 45. I've got plenty of brass and primers, but I only have 500 bullets. Might need to buy some more soon. ;)

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    My wife is in. She in an Applecore volunteer with Appleseed and a fair shot with her handgun in slow aimed fire, but has never worked on drawing from a holster or defensive styles of shooting.

Is 500 rounds a conservative or generous estimate on ammo? I still need to get the dies and prove out a round for her 45. I've got plenty of brass and primers, but I only have 500 bullets. Might need to buy some more soon. ;)

500 is best to have on hand! ;)

Top Bottom