Ladies, you might also consider a Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm. Go ahead, ask me why...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I just purchased one of these bad little mama's. (Yeah, I know it's a Taurus, but I decided to give it a chance anyway.) So far I love it!!!

1. I have trouble finding a gun that will fit my hand. Most are either too small or WAY too big. The 709 fit perfectly!

2. It was the only mid-sized gun I found that had a manual safety (Gotta have it... it's the mom in me.) This gun actually has 3 safety features AND a key lock.

3. Simple to use. I think I could easily break it down blindfolded.

4. If it fails to fire on the first trigger pull, there is a backup double action feature (double-strike capability) that allows you to pull the trigger a 2nd time without having to clear the chamber. That's right, it gives you a 2nd chance before making you take the sucker apart to fix the malfunction. SWEET! (I almost want it to malfunction so I can test this out.)

5. Because it's "slim" it conceals very nicely.

6. I took it home and immediately put 64 rounds through it. Didn't malfunction once. (I know that's not a lot, but that was all the practice rounds I had on hand at the time.) I have since purchased more rounds and will be completing more testing asap... as long as my fingers don't freeze off!!!

7. Lifetime transferrable warranty. This makes its resale value top of the line. I do love a good resale value!

Not sure about accuracy yet as I was initially just wanting to get it broken in and get the feel for it. I'll get back to you on accuracy. I can tell you it was hitting the area I had it pointed towards which was approximately 60 feet away at the time. It surely has potential!

Overall, I really like it. We're definitely bonding. The on-line reviews seem to be pretty good too (good thing cause I bought it prior to reading the reviews :ugh:) The biggest thing seems to be that you can't use crappy ammo. I can live with that.

There's my experience with it so far. Don't write it off cause it's a Taurus. It's actually a really nice little gun. Not at all bad looking either in my opinion.

Anyone else out there give it a go?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    6. I took it home and immediately put 64 rounds through it. Didn't malfunction once. (I know that's not a lot, but that was all the practice rounds I had on hand at the time.) I have since purchased more rounds and will be completing more testing asap... as long as my fingers don't freeze off!!!

Is that the Mom in you? LOL

Here is a good review of the pistol.

Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm Semi-Auto Pistol

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Overall, I really like it. We're definitely bonding. The on-line reviews seem to be pretty good too (good thing cause I bought it prior to reading the reviews :ugh:)
    What? Love you girl but I've never understood this. My wife bonds with inanimate to. Can't figure it out.
    Just funin' yuh. I have several Tarus guns and love everyone. Sometimes my wife says I spend too much time with my guns. Which usually causes me to hug which ever gun I'm fondling and talk to it like my girlfriend. "Don't worry baby, I still love you." and the such..........
    Carry on.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Definitely love my 709, too! It also fits perfectly in my hand. I agree on the simple controls, too. It just makes sense. No malfunctions, either. Trigger pull is a little different, but easy enough to get used to. Definite recommend!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I like my 709 too. And a female friend of mine from MI that came down to shoot with me liked it as well. Before shooting it my Springfield 1911 loaded V12 was her favorite to shoot, now she seems to like the 709 more cause it fits her small hands better, yet is still easy to control. She went through almost 200 rds in that range session herself.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    jennybird: I've got over a thousand rounds through my 709 with no significant issues. I've put more than a dozen types of FMJ and JHP ammo through it with no gun related issues. I do most of my practice at 7 yards, and the 709 is as accurate as any of my other pistols. Keep it spanky clean and you should be able to enjoy the heck out of it! And IMO, you can depend on it - it's my daily carry.

Top Bottom