Lady comes to defense of police officer shooting assailant, now getting sued.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Judges very rarely just flat out dismiss civil cases. Ever hear of the woman who won a lot of money suing McDonald's cause she spilled hot coffee on herself? The news is filled with frivolous lawsuits every day. I live in the same general area this happened and I guarantee you no judge in this area wants this case but they aren't likely to dismiss it either. Jury will hear the civil case and I don't see how the bad guy's family will win anything.

The McDonald's coffee lawsuit always gets dragged out as a poster child for frivolous lawsuits, but the truth is more nuanced. Coffee was way too hot, McD's had received hundreds of prior complaints about people burning themselves, and she originally was looking only to get her medical expenses paid for very serious injuries. Had McD's not been so heavy-handed, it never would have reached the point that it did.

Google it - there are numerous articles that explain what really happened.

It has no relevance to the woman who saved the cop's life.

Last edited:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    The McDonald's coffee lawsuit always gets dragged out as a poster child for frivolous lawsuits, but the truth is more nuanced. Coffee was way too hot, McD's had received hundreds of prior complaints about people burning themselves, and she originally was looking only to get her medical expenses paid for very serious injuries. Had McD's not been so heavy-handed, it never would have reached the point that it did.

“This pourage is too hot” -Goldilocks

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana

The relevance was that just because we think the lawsuit is frivolous doesn't mean the judge will just dismiss the case. I was using the example of the lady getting burned by the coffee because it was a well known example. I could give a rat's a$$ less if she (the lady who burned herself) was justified or not. Being from the area of this shooting and knowing some of the public officials in this area my point is that it will go to trial even if no one thinks it should go to trial.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I’ve read most to all of them.

It was a frivolous lawsuit.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    It should be a law in every state that if a person is injured while committing a criminal act, especially a premeditated one the said perpetrator can not sue anyone as a result of their injuries. I can not believe this is not so in most if not all states except for havens of insanity like CA and NYS.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I have known Kystie and her family for 40+ years-good people! Bottom line is that someone was going to die that day,the officer,who I also know,was being overpowered and the soon to be dead guy had ahold of his handgun when Kystie fired one shot from a .45.Good guys won that day.

Rod Farva

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2018
    Ghetto B
    "Your gun is for you and your loved ones. It isn’t for a random stranger’s defense, even if that stranger is a cop. Before you pull that trigger, you need to ask yourself a hard question: “Is saving this person worth potentially a lifetime jail sentence or hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees?”

This is what happens when we see these cases. Just what the cop said he fears. It deters us from helping.

Doesn't deter me. I know the OP. He doesn't really know me. No one on his force really knows me. But every day I have their backs just like they have ours. No law in the world will ever change that. Without Law Enforcement our entire world would go to h3ll pretty fast. I could buy them a bagel or maybe a hot McDonalds coffee. I don't think that's what they prefer though when someone is unexpectedly overpowering them on an Indiana back road and trying to take their life. I think they'd prefer a little help. I certainly would and I don't doubt for one second the OP or his boys would help me.

Last edited:

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy

A friends daughter slipped on a wet floor at Meijer. Mom asked only for them to pay med expenses. They refused. She sued and won $350,000 in court.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    It should be a law in every state that if a person is injured while committing a criminal act, especially a premeditated one the said perpetrator can not sue anyone as a result of their injuries. I can not believe this is not so in most if not all states except for havens of insanity like CA and NYS.

So true BUT never happen. The 3/4 of the Constitution signers were lawyers and most of Congress are also lawyers.

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    Update from go fund me page.

I will be closing this fund raiser but I wanted to tell everyone that Kystie is about to start the legal battle. I have had conversations with our State FOP and State Representative and we are working to draft a bill that would prevent someone from being sued while assisting Law Enforcement if the are cleared from criminal prosecution. Keep your fingers crossed.

Top Bottom