• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    What say you internet lawyers, carry there legal or illegal? That is the question.

My specific concerns:
    IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

with IC 35-31.5-2-285 in mind:
    "School property"
    Sec. 285. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

Here is their fall program guide: http://www.ywca.org/atf/cf/{4FFA7D2...44F12B}/2012 Sept-Dec Program Guide FINAL.pdf

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Page 8, the Stay and Play Drop In Child Care may be required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27.

I could be wrong but I believe it would be IC 12-17 not IC 31-27. 31-27 refers to residential while 12-17.2 refers to nonresidential properties.
    IC 12-7-2-28.4
    Child care center
    Sec. 28.4. "Child care center", for purposes of IC 12-17.2, means a nonresidential building where at least one (1) child receives child care from a provider:
    (1) while unattended by a parent, legal guardian, or custodian;
    (2) for regular compensation; and
    (3) for more than four (4) hours but less than twenty-four (24) hours in each of ten (10) consecutive days per year, excluding intervening Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.

What is the question is if it meets the definitions of one.
    I'd say yes to (1) and (2) probably (3).

So most likely illegal.
    IANAL/TINLA/ETC

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, the Y fits the definition of a Child Care Center under IC 12-17.2, but are their particular circumstances covered by the "requirement" to be licensed. If yes, then carry at the Y is definitely illegal. If no, then carry at the Y MAY BE illegal.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ok, ha ha ha, Dutch pile on Kirk day.

So, which facility is this? Are we talking about the gym downtown in the basement of the Ren Building, where, yes, my entire office goes, or the YWCA on 6th Street or the facility on 18th and Teal?

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Ok, ha ha ha, Dutch pile on Kirk day.

So, which facility is this? Are we talking about the gym downtown in the basement of the Ren Building, where, yes, my entire office goes, or the YWCA on 6th Street or the facility on 18th and Teal?

Next up are nuggies! :D

It appears to be the one on 6th. I'm curious about this as well. More specifically, what makes a daycare one that we can or cannot carry in.

Thanks Kirk!

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    When my son was small, he went there for daycare. My ex used to work there and all the men that go in there get the evil look. Like you are a wife beater. I never quite got used to the anti-men attitude there??

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Spike, dated a woman that worked there part-time. Delivered Thai food to the facility on 6th street one late night after work. I have never gone back, thought I was a leper or something. I felt miserable and all I was doing was delivering food to a girlfriend.

Anywho, why not ask them (YWCA) if their child care facility falls within the definition of Title 12 or Head Start or any other prohibited zone?

Sorry, I do not know. I can find out and send a bill to rhino.:laugh:

Top Bottom