• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iroquois

Expert
    Apr 7, 2011
    On private land, no range fee, rimfire only... great place for first
    Appleseed. Just south of rt 10 between highway 41 and I 65 .

Iroquois

Expert
    Apr 7, 2011
    You can do that ,just check the website to make sure there's room [pretty sure there will be] and get a list of necessities .Bring a ground tarp because the sand-burs are starting
    to bloom...

Pitmaster

Expert
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I'll keep checking. Right now I just need to wait for that romantic moment I can tell my lovely wife.

I've got some info a couple of weeks ago from AB.

I may even make a last minute run to Eaton Rapids MI Sunday

Pitmaster

Expert
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I'm still on the fence. Part of the reason is the expected temperatures and heat index. From experience I don't do much when the temperatures are above 90º. Less about the misery aspects and more about my response to the heat. I know that by mid-afternoons my safety and marksman skills deteriorate and I begin fighting a losing battle with my ability to learn. I've been to 2 AS with very hot temperatures and early Sunday afternoon in particular shooting is just plain no fun. I can usually make it through Saturday but I'll bail out to sit in the air conditioning.

I don't like shooting with sweat stinging my eyes.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Dec 2, 2009
    To all attending, I would suggest you start the hydration process immediately. I'm not saying to drown yourself but start a continuous process of drinking water every hour on the hour for the remaining days until the Appleseed. Don't drink until you are uncomfortable or puke up water. Just drink more than you normally would ... the goal is to turn your pee almost clear. This alone will work wonders for you this weekend. Take it easy (if work and schedule allows) during the hot days this week. Wearing light clothing (color and material) to the shoot will also help. Also, continue to stretch those muscles and joints ... you already started last week, right?

The early hydration alone helped me endure the last Appleseed with relative ease. A few other things that helped ... generous use of sunscreen (SPF 100), broad rimmed hat (boonie style), polarized UV safety glasses, camelback hydration pack (filled with ice and water) for continuous sipping, trail mix snack bars (no chocolate bits ... they melt and mess up your trigger finger), bug spray for your legs (ticks), 2 white towels (one you can soak for your head/neck, one dry one to cover your rifle). These were things that made my last Appleseed tolerable. There's more stuff but you can personalize it for yourself and this list doesn't even include the shooting stuff (equipment, notebooks, etc).

Pitmaster

Expert
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I really want to attend but this heat may be a deal breaker for me. While misery would be part of that breathing and allergies will also play into it also.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I really want to attend but this heat may be a deal breaker for me. While misery would be part of that breathing and allergies will also play into it also.

It's gonna be a scorcher. You do what you need to do, Pitmaster. We'll miss you, but Wild Deuce has some really good advice that everyone should pay close attention to. Hydrate NOW!!! See you all on Saturday!

Wild Deuce

Master
    Dec 2, 2009
    I could not emphasize it enough ... the early hydration will work wonders. You will be able to endure the heat. You will have clearer vision. You will be able to focus on the instruction throughout the day. You will prevent cramping and muscle fatigue. You will speed up recovery time Saturday night and in the day or two after the shoot. The key is early hydration and hydration throughout the shoot.

To Pitmaster, like AB said, do what you need to do. Your health comes first and you know what's best. Early hydration doesn't cure all issues (breathing and allergies are certainly beyond the scope). For those without underlying health issues, hydration will keep the heat from taking you down.

There is soooo much awesome instruction and history to be learned! Maximize what's available by eliminating what can be prevented. Good luck and good learning to all. :)

Pitmaster

Expert
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    We are hosting an AS the following weekend. I'm bringing 6 possibly 7 new shooters to it. Give the choice I would rather dry fire in the AC this weekend than next. Plus 3 of the instructors for Niles and I are doing a Lake Michigan fishing charter the day before. I'm drinking lots of water anyway prepping for that.

I'm planning on hitting one AS per month until I earn the patch. So far I'm three in a row. I've got plans to go to several others. August looks tough so I may double up in July by going to Fenton, MI, Rochester, or Crawfordsville.

Iroquois

Expert
    Apr 7, 2011
    Not to panic if you miss this one here, I've almost got the boss talked into a sept.
    shoot....hope to host 3 next year too.
    Spent 2 and a half hours on the range thur[100+] did not get sick but stayed on the water bottle full time...it works.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I've had a lump on my thigh that has been getting bigger over the past few days. Doc prescribed antibiotics for the infection and said if it comes to a head or continues to grow then get to the ER. Y'all have a good time.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    can you only go on the sunday?

Absolutely. It's helpful if you've been to an Appleseed before, though, because most of the primary instruction happens on Saturday. But even if you haven't been and Sunday's all you got, you're welcome to join us! 8:00 check-in, 8:30 start time.

Top Bottom