• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Dec 2, 2009
    Lake Village Appleseed, August 13-14, 2011

1. Any details about the onsite camping facilities? The online information says "primitive onsite" in regards to the camping available. Just how primitive are we talking here? I can handle anything. I just need to prepare in case I want to use this option.

2. Anyone use the other camping option ... Pioneer Family Campground? What more can anyone share besides what is on the website?

For either of these facilities, my intention is to pitch a small (backpacking) tent and have a small charcoal grill for cooking. Nothing fancy ... No cabin tent, No portable shower, No camper, No RV, No table, No chairs, etc. ... just the basics.

About the shoot ... How much of a hinderance will a tube fed (Marlin 60) be in regards to shooting AQTs and sighting in? I have speed loaders for the rifle but it would still require all that movement to relaod during the required "magazine" changes. Also, the blade/ramp sight isn't the best for elevation adjustment. Anyone interested in loaning out a Ruger 10/22? Mine is already spoken for and I might have a brand new (to Appleseed) younger shooter interested in coming.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Good questions. I'm gonna guess that #1 is camping is an open-ish field. No facilities 'cept for a port-a-john near the range area.
    As for option #2...I've never been there. Perhaps Bill 3 will be along here soon and offer some insight if he has driven by.

The Marlin 60 won't be an issue at all for mag changes, loading, etc. For tubers we allow them to load 11 rounds for the mag change stages and eject 1 round to simulate a mag change.

For sighting in, it is a little more difficult with the stock sights than some aftermarket options, but it can absolutely be done. But I'll also bring a 10/22 for a backup, though.

See you in August! Who else is gonna come? Come on...you know it'll be fun!!!

WRWIII

Plinker
    Apr 25, 2008
    LOFS
    #1 - is in a field, no nothing and requirement is to stay clear of the house. Guess I should get that port-o-john thing going....

#2 - Don't know. It comes up on google and was mentioned briefly by someone in the area as being there.

Tube fed will be fine but loaners will be available if the need is there.

If hunting for other camping in the area, I will issue one caution. There are two "naturalist" campgrounds in the area on Rte 10 that you may want to avoid if it comes up in your search. Avoid "Sun Aura" and "Ponderosa Sun Club" unless you are so inclined.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    no you people need to stop doing everything on weekends so some of us with weekend shift jobs can attend an event or 2

Send a PM to Bubba. If you know well in advance (as in months) what days you're looking for, he might be able to work on something with you. He's an Appleseed instructor with the same problem, and I know he's mentioned a time or two thinking about working on setting something up during the week. :patriot:

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    There has been talk about doing a full Appleseed on Monday through Friday evening in the summer when the light allows.

I know some other states are experimenting with a Saturday this weekend, and a Sunday the following weekend.

YHJ

Wild Deuce

Master
    Dec 2, 2009
    I'll support a weekday shoot if you need people to make it happen (in NWI).

Auntie, thanks for the reply and the offer (10/22) ... I will get back to you shortly.

Bill 3, I hope you are getting a Port-A-John to support the Appleseed ... not just potential campers. I am still considering my options. I have in-laws living just north of the campround near the Rt10 / I65 exchange.

Sadclownwp, I will be more than happy to meet up with you sometime in the next week or two at Japser-Pulaski or Willow Slough for some rifle shooting. I'm not an instructor by a long shot (pun intended) but I do plan on doing a brush up on what I learned at the recent Appleseed. I need to review/practice my steady hold factors as well as confirm my 50 yd and 100 yd zero for the upcoming NPCCC Military Rifle Match (July 31st). I have a ton of AQTs, practice AQTs, Redcoats, etc. that need holes punched in them. My schedule is a bit tight but I'm not locked into weekends only. PM me if you are interested.

WRWIII

Plinker
    Apr 25, 2008
    LOFS
    Bill 3, I hope you are getting a Port-A-John to support the Appleseed ... not just potential campers. I am still considering my options. I have in-laws living just north of the campround near the Rt10 / I65 exchange.

The camping is on range, so yes...

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    -Wild Deuce

Don't waver. I'm seriously considering camping as well. Just because it would be cool. I'll definetely be at this shoot though. Trying to convince some co-workers from IL to join me.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Dec 2, 2009
    Will camping be allowed the night before (Friday night)?

BTW:

For anyone new attending this Appleseed, you are welcome to join us on July 28th at Kingsbury DNR. I am NOT an Appleseed instructor and this is not affiliated with RWVA Appleseed in any way. HOWEVER, I will be practicing what I learned at the last Appleseed in anticipation of participating in the NPCCC Military Rifle Shoot. This will be a good opportunity for any Appleseed alumni to join us and brush up / refresh.

If you have never been to an Appleseed and plan on attending this one (Lake Village) this would be a good time to prep your gear and perhaps get your sights dialed in. I'm sure I could at least help you do that.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    This shoot is 19 miles from me, how did I not know about this.

Hum... Did you not get the PMs (I have sent at least 2) to the NWI INGO social group about this upcoming event. :dunno:

--updated--
    Also we now have flyers at Deb's HandGun Range, Cabela's in Hamond, and Byltes in Valpo. Tonight flyers for Byltes in Griffith should be up. Guthridge in Griffith will get some on SAT as well Westford in Gary.

In addition the event should soon appear on the NWI Times Newspaper website here:
    http://www.nwitimes.com/app/calendar/events/index.php?year=2011&month=8&day=13

I send in the information for the event yesterday & it should be online soon.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Dec 2, 2009
    I will be there, but only in support.
    I will not be shooting. My son will be going for his patch.
    I will not be camping after all.
    We can only do one day ... Saturday.
    I still need to sign him up.

NWIeng, sorry about the camping. It would have been really cool especially with the potential for Northern Lights and this month's meteor shower. We just have too much going on and can't spare the extra days.

I will have a canopy for the day. Hopefully I will not be the only one. It should help during the breaks.

23mar03

Marksman
    Aug 6, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I will be there, but only in support.
    I will not be shooting. My son will be going for his patch.
    I will not be camping after all.
    We can only do one day ... Saturday.
    I still need to sign him up.

NWIeng, sorry about the camping. It would have been really cool especially with the potential for Northern Lights and this month's meteor shower. We just have too much going on and can't spare the extra days.

I will have a canopy for the day. Hopefully I will not be the only one. It should help during the breaks.

Bring your rifle anyway. It won't hurt anything to shoot a few squares will it?

Top Bottom