• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    So while shopping at Bradis yesterday I was thinking how... a lot of the stuff I'd like to buy... about the only place I can fire it is on private property... if I even knew anyone that had enough land close to do so.

So I got to thinking... and thought I would toss an idea out there...

There are lots of us on here, that probably wish we had a nice private place to shoot stuff that we just can't at Eagle Creek, at the gun clubs, etc.

So why not form a land corporation... find a piece of land, everyone go in as share holders... make the land shares something relatively small in value... 50-100$. Then how ever much you pony up... is your votes when some issue involving the property come sup. Land in southern Indiana is around 2k an acre... and even for people say up no East Chicago, or Fort Wayne, or what have you... it would still be worth it to drive 4-5 hours to spend the day shooting a larger caliber if you had no where else to go shoot it..

Just a thought *shrugs*

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Sounds like a private shooting club, where memberships are sold in the form of ownership shares in the club. I fail to see how the rules would be any different from any other range. You still have to have the same range rules that, say, Atterbury or Danville or New Castle has to prevent accidents and minimize insurance risk. I won't even talk about southern Indiana being even farther from me than Atterbury... :)

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Me head something up... hahaa I dunno about that...

I don't like the private shooting club route though... although that could be an option after it is formed. However it makes since to do it as an LLC at first. Then sell memberships to anyone after the initial bunch, to cover taxes and insurance and what not. Then distribute shares out with memberships as well, but always leaving the original funders as primary owners as a whole.

Obviously yeah there would need to be some sort of rules...

best part, depending on what is on the land... hunting could be an option during the proper seasons, designate specific days for hunting, have everyone park in the same area, maybe put in your windshield how many of you are out there...

I dunno... it was just a thought that popped into my head last night while I was trying to go to sleep. *shrugs*

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I've been thinking about something like this for a bit, and would definitely be interested. The biggest problem for me is limited funds right now (School), but I could scrape a little together...:) Also depends how far south we're talking...

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    LandAndFarm.com - Land for Sale - 1201ac Farm In Southw Indiana - 1201.46 ACRES - Greene COUNTY, Indiana, United States

1201.46 acre farm for sale near Bloomfield, Indiana in Greene county. Located 75 miles south of Indianapolis and 25 miles southwest of Bloomington, IN. This property is probably the best cattle farm in Indiana. All in pasture and hay land although about half could be farmed. About 150 or less acres is wooded. Lots of buildings and concrete feed pads. City water all over. 3 good houses for owner or tenants or rentals. Every field on the farm is fenced. 16 ponds and several springs, stock scales and lots of pens in the calving barn. There are 6 oil wells on the farm, 2 are pumping now and other 4 are supposed to be activated soon. There is an underground natural gas storage field on this farm. The gas storage lease pays $3,200 per year and also includes free natural gas for all the houses. This farm is all in one tract, � mile off Highway 231, four miles south of Bloomfield. I have owned this farm for about 30 years and only want to sell because of my advanced age. I would be willing to sell on a land contract with 20% down to a responsible party. This farm would make a good ranch for cattle, horses or any other kind of animal. Located in beautiful southern Indiana rolling hill country it would also make an excellent dairy farm. There is no zoning in Greene county. The only permit required in Greene county is a septic permit for a septic system. My price is firm at $2,900 an acre.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    LandAndFarm.com - Land for Sale - 147 Acres - 147 ACRES - Monroe COUNTY, Indiana, United States

Hard to find acreage in SW Monroe County. Features 10 surveyed parcels consisting of 100 acres of pasture and 47 acres of hardwood forest. The property is fenced on all borders and is cross fenced on the interior. The land is currently being used as a cattle and hay farm.There is a pole barn at the Rockport Rd entrance. Has abundant wild turkey and deer.There is electric and city water on front parcel bordering Rockport Rd.This could make a great horse farm or the ten parcels would allow many homesites. Please call Becky for more information.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    LandAndFarm.com - Land for Sale! -0 catid:110+ Acres Indiana, 47408 - 25.31 ACRES - Monroe COUNTY, Indiana, United States <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="10+ Acres Indiana, 47408 Indiana recreational property ,land, farm, real estate, advertise proper

spacer.gif
    $99,000

This is the perfect spot for a secluded country retreat, convenient to Bloomington and Indianapolis. This 25.31 acre site combines meadows and tree covered hills and ravines with Buck Creek running through the property. Deer and wild turkey are abundant. There are two or three beautiful home sites. The property can be accessed by an abandoned country road which has an easement running through the property from Old 37, or from Streacher Rd. at the rear of the property. This is a rare parcel of land waiting for your new country estate, or subdivide into three substantial home sites.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Guys, This is fun to think about. But lets see if we can get a group buy off the ground and then get into acquiring land :):

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    :dunno:Something to think about, guys. When I was growing up in Missouri, my dad belonged to a "Sportsman's Club" which leased hunting and shooting rights on some land in the Ozarks. They had started as a group in the Air Force, and progressed from there. That might be a way to do this instead of buying the land proper. We might be able to lease rights to shooting somewhere.?????

Finna

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Lake County,Indiana
    Does anyone know what insurance would cost? I bet its expensive and the policy would have to be high. Who would take the blame when someone got shot or killed or sued? There is alot to think about and it sounds great but it would never work. Just way to much legal mumbo jumbo.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Does anyone know what insurance would cost? I bet its expensive and the policy would have to be high. Who would take the blame when someone got shot or killed or sued? There is alot to think about and it sounds great but it would never work. Just way to much legal mumbo jumbo.

With an LLC... you could probably get by with no insurance... if a specific LLC member was at fault they could be sued... but from what I understand if the LLC itself got sue, worst case the land gets lost and the LLC files BK. But I am no lawyer.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Hrmm do we have any real-estate people around the board? Or lawyers that know land-law and land-contracts?

My Aunt (who I used to live with) owns her own real-estate title company back in Maryland, is a title lawyer and is licensed here in Indiana. I can ask her anything we need to know and she could do the settlement probably ;)

Nate

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    if a specific LLC member was at fault they could be sued... but from what I understand if the LLC itself got sue, worst case the land gets lost and the LLC files BK. But I am no lawyer.

In a broad, general sense, this is more or less true. Same if it is a standard corporation rather than an LLC, and similar, but not the same, with an LLP.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom