• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    You might contact the guys at the Riley Conservation Club. From what I've read they lease the land they shoot on. They may have advice on how to go about renting/leasing land for these kinds of purposes.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Check out the Sycamore Valley Gun Club Freedom Range

Sycamore Valley Gun Club

edit: just had another thought... some hunters buy a hunting lease from landowners/farmers to have exclusive hunting rights to the land...

perhaps the same thing would work here... a shooting land lease.

Last edited:

TraderJack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Retired Real Estate person here! Yeah, a private shooting club would be a heck of a lot of fun.
    But, I'm with Fenway... let's see how several group buys go first...

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Retired Real Estate person here! Yeah, a private shooting club would be a heck of a lot of fun.
    But, I'm with Fenway... let's see how several group buys go first...

Totally agreed. I think it's progress to be talking about leasing rather than buying, though--at least from the "be realistic" angle. Realistically, though, there are lots of conservation clubs around the state and we're for the most part going to all be better off just joining them. A once or twice a year big shooting gathering at Atterbury or somewhere like that would be fun, but I'd be surprised if we can go much beyond that. My 2 cents at this point. I think some people were looking for ways to use fully auto guns, etc., which some clubs might not be ok with...

TraderJack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Since I'm fairly new to Indiana, I've been looking at those Conservation Clubs as a way to get in more shooting. I've discovered something a little troubleing.

It seems the CCs are private and just have the states blessing through chartering. Several clubs seem to be struggling to survive and others just don't offer very much in the way of range structures. One club in particular appears to have a great deal of animosity running thru it and from the members I've talked with they are not happy.

It's sort of made me step back and take another look at joining one of theses clubs. This may not be a typical experience, but it's given me pause.

What is the typical CC like here in the state? Are the problems I encountered typical or is my experience unusual? I wonder if it just a function of poor leadership? Or an inactive membership? Maybe I should start a new thread about this???

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Totally agreed. I think it's progress to be talking about leasing rather than buying, though--at least from the "be realistic" angle. Realistically, though, there are lots of conservation clubs around the state and we're for the most part going to all be better off just joining them. A once or twice a year big shooting gathering at Atterbury or somewhere like that would be fun, but I'd be surprised if we can go much beyond that. My 2 cents at this point. I think some people were looking for ways to use fully auto guns, etc., which some clubs might not be ok with...

Thats why I suggested it, I want a place, where I can fire whatever I might have. Only place convenient for me is Eagle Creek, which half the weekend it's unavailable, and I can shoot pistols and .22 rifles... I want to shoot larger caliber rifles, I don't own one becuase I don't have anywhere to shoot one, and I'm not about to buy a weapon that I can't even get some practice time with.

Top Bottom