• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I try to treat everyone the same until I hae reason not to. I truly do my best everyday to look past people's shell. I'll be honest and admit it's hard to do with some stereotypes I've had beat into my brain. A person with a disability isn't one I would ever treat different. I'd stand up next to anyone being picked on. I don't like bully's that prey on people they feel inferior to themselves.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    I'm just ****ing with you. It's all good.
    Yeah I caught on after a while hah! :):

I try to treat everyone the same until I hae reason not to. I truly do my best everyday to look past people's shell. I'll be honest and admit it's hard to do with some stereotypes I've had beat into my brain. A person with a disability isn't one I would ever treat different. I'd stand up next to anyone being picked on. I don't like bully's that prey on people they feel inferior to themselves.
    BIG :+1:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Seems strange that she didn't put her husband on the lease! Why would you not have him on it?

The way I understand it (so probably wrong), he lives on base in another state and doesn't normally reside there. So since student housing rent is usually based on occupancy, they probably elected to leave him off since he wouldn't be there often.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Seems strange that she didn't put her husband on the lease! Why would you not have him on it?
    My guess is that rent is based on occupancy. Occupancy is based on named individuals on the lease, whether they are actually living there or not. My guess is that they opted to save money for the 11 months out of the year they knew he wouldn't be there. Either they had other plans for when he might come home, didn't expect him to be home longer than the 7-day limit, or just didn't think it would be an issue. Either way, they made the bed, they get to lie in it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Saw this story on the news yesterday. Despicable is a good word for it. Some very greedy bastards out there.
    It's not about being greedy. It's university housing. One 1-bedroom apartment is probably a drop in the bucket. It's about contract terms and the ****-storm that would exist for making exceptions. Don't you want people to uphold their end of the deal when you make an agreement with them?

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    The way I understand it (so probably wrong), he lives on base in another state and doesn't normally reside there. So since student housing rent is usually based on occupancy, they probably elected to leave him off since he wouldn't be there often.

My guess is that rent is based on occupancy. Occupancy is based on named individuals on the lease, whether they are actually living there or not. My guess is that they opted to save money for the 11 months out of the year they knew he wouldn't be there. Either they had other plans for when he might come home, didn't expect him to be home longer than the 7-day limit, or just didn't think it would be an issue. Either way, they made the bed, they get to lie in it.
    Gotcha ya! Wasn't sure what kind of lease it was. I was a maintenance man for section 8 housing before I got married. We had to go around at night and take down the plate numbers of all the cars to make sure no one had anyone living with them. You'd be shocked at how many low income single mothers paying $50 a month rent, had boyfriends working in the mills making $80,000 living with them. Or maybe you'd wouldn't be surprised!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    It's not about being greedy. It's university housing. One 1-bedroom apartment is probably a drop in the bucket. It's about contract terms and the ****-storm that would exist for making exceptions. Don't you want people to uphold their end of the deal when you make an agreement with them?

I guess there's always two sides to the story. The tenants' story was that the husband's release and showing up at the apartment afterwards had been agreed to in advance. But it's all about what's in writing in the lease. On that I must agree with you.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I guess there's always two sides to the story. The tenants' story was that the husband's release and showing up at the apartment afterwards had been agreed to in advance. But it's all about what's in writing in the lease. On that I must agree with you.

They say that now. It may be true. But I'm betting it's not. Tenants are liars.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The specific word used doesn't matter, the way it is used does matter.

When a word associated with a group of people is applied to someone outside that group as an insult then you are insulting both the individual (by saying "he is like one of them") and the group by saying it is so shameful to be a member of this group that lumping other people with you is an insult.

I am far from PC but I don't make fun of people that were born with real challenges and I don't use inclusion as a member of "that group" as an insult. Comparing someone you find reprehensible, disgusting or stupid to "one of those people" is an insult to "those people" as much as to the individual you are disparaging. :twocents:

I agree with you on the first sentence but not really on the rest. Is having two broken legs a shameful thing? Well perhaps how they were acquired, but not just having broken legs. Is acting like you have two broken legs shameful? If I tell my children to get up and go do something their legs aren't broken am I shaming people who do have broken legs? Same for calling somebody a retard who isn't. DSM IV diagnosis of mental retardation is having an IQ of 70 or below. Is that shameful? Not in my opinion. Is someone who has an average IQ or above acting like they have mental retardation shameful? Now calling someone who actual does have mental retardation a retarded in a derogatory manner.... :bat:

the landlord in this storyis well within his rights to enforce the lease. And it's a bunch of hypocrites who are condemning him simply because the lease violator is a service member. i doubt the landlord could bring criminal charges since it is an occupancy issue, not a true trespass issue (though that line is blurry). And I have my doubts about his ability to unilaterally increase rent, unless the lease stipulates such changes are automatic when the proper triggers are pulled.

I fully agree that the landlord is well within his rights. A person can be well within their rights and still be a douche nozzle. Service member is home on leave visiting his wife and newborn. I'm sure his leave papers have a return date. Not quite the same as in the instance you had where a person came to visit on the first day they moved in, and was still their 6 weeks later with no expected day to stop "visiting". Is his leave for 2 weeks? 2 months? Contractually speaking there is no difference, but in my opinion there is. I haven't read one way or another on how long his leave is. If it was 2 weeks, landlord is being a douche nozzle IMO. If it was 2 mo. well.......

They say that now. It may be true. But I'm betting it's not. Tenants are liars.

So are landlords. :)

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    If you use membership in a group or affliction with a physical or mental condition as an insult then it follows that you would be ashamed or embarrassed to be included in that group. If you don't think it would be insulting then why use it as an insult?

Make fun of personal choices if you wish but let's not use disabilities as insults. It is rude to those that actually have the disability.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you use membership in a group or affliction with a physical or mental condition as an insult then it follows that you would be ashamed or embarrassed to be included in that group. If you don't think it would be insulting then why use it as an insult?

Make fun of personal choices if you wish but let's not use disabilities as insults. It is rude to those that actually have the disability.

We are way past this...............:):

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I don't use membership in a group or affliction with a physical or mental condition as an insult. I use acting like you have one when you do not as an insult. To use my broken leg example. I had one, no insult or embarrassment at all to be included in that group. Now when I was a kid and being a lazy ass or when my kids were being one telling me/them to quit acting like they had a broken leg was an insult. See the difference? Or I had an Aunt with Down's syndrome, she met the classification of mental retardation. She wasn't nor would I call her a retard. My son who's IQ is well north of 100 does something stupid......

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom