• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    We had a couple of trees removed last year, and since the landscapers basically threw in the tree removal with another job, they did not grind the stumps. One of the stumps is smack in the middle of the front yard, so I was thinking about hollowing it out to about 5-6" deep and planting annuals in it. I'm pretty handy and have a decent selection of hand/power tools, but I'm not sure what would be the best thing to use. Anybody got an idea better than a hammer and chisel?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Big drill bit and drill all around, then just break it all to connect, repeat to desired depth?

i left a similar stump at the MIL's house, planning to add a bird bath

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Another option would be to build a planting box around it. Covering it with dirt and watering it often will have it rotted away in a couple years at the most. Especially if you drill a bunch of holes in it first.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I had a huge tree removed from my back yard, 4+ feet diameter. They only ground the stump level. This did not help when needing to run the electrical to my garage. I tried digging, drilling, chopping, sawing, and anything else you can think of. I ended up renting a giant manual stump grinder, not the home depot one. It was something I should have started with. If you could live with it as is, I would. As soon as you hit the dirt with a blade, it dulls. The grinder did the job. I also tried burning, but the proximity to the fence prevented the bonfire I needed.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I had a huge tree removed from my back yard, 4+ feet diameter. They only ground the stump level. This did not help when needing to run the electrical to my garage. I tried digging, drilling, chopping, sawing, and anything else you can think of. I ended up renting a giant manual stump grinder, not the home depot one. It was something I should have started with. If you could live with it as is, I would. As soon as you hit the dirt with a blade, it dulls. The grinder did the job. I also tried burning, but the proximity to the fence prevented the bonfire I needed.

bonfires and stumps are not near as effective as most think.... I would take a 55 gallon drum and cut the top and bottom off, and start a fire in it... burn all the scraps and cardboard and other junk you can find... clean out the ash's every once in a while to keep the stump exposed..... this will keep the heat on and keep it smoldering for ALOT longer after the fire is out.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm not trying to get rid of the stump--just hollow it out. Hoosierdoc, I'll look into the drill bit thing. Even if I have to chisel by hand, it will help to drill as many holes as possible first.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I'm not trying to get rid of the stump--just hollow it out. Hoosierdoc, I'll look into the drill bit thing. Even if I have to chisel by hand, it will help to drill as many holes as possible first.

Stumps are about TWICE as dense as regular wood... I tried to do exactly what you are talking about doing and i couldn't get any holes deeper than about 6 inch's.... after about 6 holes my spade bit was toast

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Here is a grinding wheel that has a chainsaw chain on it. I have seen the guys who carve animals from logs use them.

Lancelot 22 Tooth Chain Saw Blade for 4 1/2 inch angle grinders by King Arthur's Tools

I was going to suggest a chain saw but this might work better.

Snapdragon, I don't know if a stump is denser than the rest of the tree but the grain certainly isn't as straight and as well behaved as you would find in the trunk. I've chopped out several small stumps with an axe--you'd be surprised how much work that it is on a stump no more than 6-8" in diameter.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Stumps are about TWICE as dense as regular wood... I tried to do exactly what you are talking about doing and i couldn't get any holes deeper than about 6 inch's.... after about 6 holes my spade bit was toast

LOL***, Ahhh. That's because you were drilling into end grain.
    Oh and your wife called, She said more like 4 inchs.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    If you are using a large drill bit, you will need a drill with lots of torque. As soon as the bit hits dirt, it will need a sharpening. I like the idea of a planter bed over it, if it becomes too much work.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    If you really want to keep the stump there, why not just make a few holes big enough to plant the flowers instead of hollowing out the entire thing? It would get the same result with a lot less work.

Top Bottom