• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    What a waste considering that the LA mayor, Attorney General, and the governor, as well as the news media will not allow the police to use their new pistols even if using them would be for a legitimate reason.

On the other hand, nice proof test of the FN-509!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    What a waste considering that the LA mayor, Attorney General, and the governor, as well as the news media will not allow the police to use their new pistols even if using them would be for a legitimate reason.

On the other hand, nice proof test of the FN-509!
    Nah, just don't post your USPSA videos online and your good!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I know Aaron from Sage Dynamics has been saying for a while the 509 has one of the best red dot mounting systems available. It will be interesting to see what red dots LAPD approves for duty use (my Googlefu could not find any).

I wonder if the Staccato P was considered, I know the LAPD Swat unit had a run commissioned recently. Probably too expensive for the average officer :abused:

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wonder if the Staccato P was considered, I know the LAPD Swat unit had a run commissioned recently. Probably too expensive for the average officer :abused:

Too expensive, too hard to source in large numbers (both the gun and magazines), and too likely to require tweaking by a competent gunsmith to run reliably for large round counts. Also the need to retrain a large organization on the proper use of a manual thumb safety.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Too expensive, too hard to source in large numbers (both the gun and magazines), and too likely to require tweaking by a competent gunsmith to run reliably for large round counts. Also the need to retrain a large organization on the proper use of a manual thumb safety.
    Talked to a US Marshal I used to work for and his service SOG adopted the Stuccato Duo Of course your looking at less than 200 guns. The tests had high round counts enough to impress them. But as BehindBlue mentioned across the board not gonna happen. Especially when a Police administrator sees that price

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What was the LAPD using before going to the FN? I'm sure it was in the same test and probably failed to preform as well as the FN.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    What was the LAPD using before going to the FN? I'm sure it was in the same test and probably failed to preform as well as the FN.
    LAPD went to Glock 22 then M&P for standard issue. However they have/had a pretty liberal policy so you still had Officers carrying 3rd Gen S&W 5906, 4006 and 4566, Beretta 92fs and a host of other makes off an aproved list or past issued stuff

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    LAPD went to Glock 22 then M&P for standard issue. However they have/had a pretty liberal policy so you still had Officers carrying 3rd Gen S&W 5906, 4006 and 4566, Beretta 92fs and a host of other makes off an aproved list or past issued stuff
    So basically some older firearms are headed our way as soon to be police trade ins. I can't wait to try and get me a 5906, or even a nice Beretta 92.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    So basically some older firearms are headed our way as soon to be police trade ins. I can't wait to try and get me a 5906, or even a nice Beretta 92.
    Most are privately purchased Department approved firearms so probably not. And even if say they wee forced to take an issued type A fair number are probably gun guys and gals !and would keep them

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    With the latest round of gun restrictions in California, I have doubts that the used duty weapons will be available to civilians.

I believe Cali is ok with selling department surplus outside the state just not in. CHP 4006 were available everywhere but Cali a couple years ago.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    That's to bad a nice LAPD 5906 would make a great addition to my collection.

A few years ago the Secret Service went to Glock 19. What happened to all the Sig 357sig pistols?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I read somewhere awhile back that government regulations required them to be destroyed. I hope that wasn’t true.
    With the Feds the Customs Service S&W CS Revolvers (3 and 4" 686) in 1990 (ish) were the last Fed agency guns available to the public. Since then they all get swapped to other agencies or most likely cut up.

Had an issued McMillian Sniper rifle I sadly watched get cut up with a torch and end saw as well as a bunch of handguns over my career.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    With the Feds the Customs Service S&W CS Revolvers (3 and 4" 686) in 1990 (ish) were the last Fed agency guns available to the public. Since then they all get swapped to other agencies or most likely cut up.

Had an issued McMillian Sniper rifle I sadly watched get cut up with a torch and end saw as well as a bunch of handguns over my career.
    Thanks for the info. Don't know if I could have watched that McMillian be destroyed.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I almost bought a 509 once. Sharp lookers. But looking around, accessories and holsters were hard to find. (especially for a lefty) So I passed. Plus the grips are rather aggressively textured, so it wasnt the most comfy gun I've ever held.

Top Bottom