jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    LaPorte County police fight man with sword

So what gives the police the right to go into his house and force him out of his own home? Yes smoke was inside the house but it was because the man was burning some paper. They go in and try to force him out and he pulls a sword on them. :rolleyes::noway: Off course at that point you are gonna get tazed. :faint:

1st MEET & EAT for 2011 in NWI
    Sunday, 30 JAN 2011
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...o_meet_and_eat_oc_cc_-_sun_30_jan_2011_a.html
    ---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

UPCOMING EVENTS
    Every Wed: Lunch, Cigars, and Guns @ Pine Island Pit Stop Cigar Lounge
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_events/108606-
    every_wednesday_lunch_cigars_guns_pine_island_pit_stop_cigar_lounge_part_2_a.html

Appleseed for NWI
    2 Day Courses
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Calendar
    19-20 MAR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    02-03 APR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN

Keep this post for uncoming info & updates
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/appleseed/107083-new_ranges_coming_to_eventbright.html

NEED YOUR HELP
    List of ranges in NWI; Is your range here?:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

Pro-Gun & Anti-Gun Stores in NWI:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/54676-list_of_pro-gun_and_anti-
    gun_stores_northwest_indiana.html

OTHER INFO
    A Guide to Protecting Your Rights: What to do when LEO stop you and your are carrying.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/81201-
    an_oc_guide_to_protecting_your_rights_what_to_do_when_leo_stops_you.html#post915009

Wallet IN LTCH Info with IC Codes
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../83645-wallet_in_ltch_info_with_ic_codes.html

FFLs in Indiana
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/81265-indiana_gun_shop_info_-_combined.html

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Um sounds like excellent police work to me. If not damn near perfect. Refusing to drop a sword at at least 21 feet (distance probes will shoot) could have got him 10-0

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Uh yea. This was a 3rd party call, home filled with smoke. There was actually a struggle for the sword. You see many videos on youtube with a single police officer struggling over a sword? The house did not burn down and everyone came out alive and well.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Terrible police work. When he saw the house wasn't burning down, and the guy had a sword, he should have gone back out to his car.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    HHHHMMM, did anyone see this?

<snip> was taken to LaPorte Hospital for treatment of injuries sustained when two probes carrying 50,000 volts fired from the Taser stuck into his back<snip>

Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Terrible police work. When he saw the house wasn't burning down, and the guy had a sword, he should have gone back out to his car.

Brilliant. Let him burn his house down, endangering other houses in the neighborhood, and commit suicide. I'm sure the police wouldn't catch any flack for failure to act. :rolleyes:

Did you not read the part where this guy has mental issues? Here, maybe the actual law in cases like this will help you understand:

IC 12-26-4
    Chapter 4. Immediate Detention
    IC 12-26-4-1
    Law enforcement officers; authority to apprehend, transport, and charge an individual with a mental illness
    Sec. 1. A law enforcement officer, having reasonable grounds to believe that an individual has a mental illness, is dangerous, and is in immediate need of hospitalization and treatment, may do the following:
    (1) Apprehend and transport the individual to the nearest appropriate facility. The individual may not be transported to a state institution.
    (2) Charge the individual with an offense if applicable.
    As added by P.L.2-1992, SEC.20. Amended by P.L.40-1994, SEC.55; P.L.99-2007, SEC.129.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Oh, so now the police are psychologists? "We don't like you exercising your right" or "we don't like that particular right you are exercising", so they can clap you in irons and detain you indefinitely (psych eval?)? Please. So where did they find he had a "mental history"? After they tased him or before they kicked in his door?

The issue isn't the validity necessarily of the force involved, but the reason for knocking in the door to be heros...

Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010

<snip> was taken to LaPorte Hospital for treatment of injuries sustained when two probes carrying 50,000 volts fired from the Taser stuck into his back<snip>

Textbook application of the Taser device. The back contains several large muscles, and is possibly the best target for immediate incapacitation. I'd give the officers in this case a big thumbs up for their restraint. As soon as this mentally unbalanced person pointed the sword at them, they were justified in shooting him. Period.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Brilliant. Let him burn his house down, endangering other houses in the neighborhood, and commit suicide.
    Is it his Property?!

If the Answer to this question is yes, then he should be able to burn it to the foundation if he so desires...

As far as someone wanting to commit suicide...
    Let them. Clears out the gene pool...;)

Last edited:

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Oh, so now the police are psychologists? "We don't like you exercising your right" or "we don't like that particular right you are exercising", so they can clap you in irons and detain you indefinitely (psych eval?)? Please. So where did they find he had a "mental history"? After they tased him or before they kicked in his door?

The issue isn't the validity necessarily of the force involved, but the reason for knocking in the door to be heros...

Its a 24 hour evaluation. 72 hours with the signature of a judge and a doctor. Immediate detention saves peoples life's.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010

It was only stuck to his back because they did not yank it out....Most officers just yank it out on scene. That's all they really do in the ER . Let me remind you most departments use of force..taser falls under verbal none compliance.

Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010

Well, since I wasn't there (and neither were you, I'm betting), I don't know how they determined that he may have been mentally disturbed. Perhaps setting several items in your living room on fire and brandishing a sword is a typical night at your house, but I find it a bit odd. I suppose that the police should just let mentally ill people kill themselves, worthless dregs that they are. :rolleyes:

I posted the code for immediate detentions. The general limit on detention is 24 hours, not "indefinitely," as you have so skillfully pulled from your backside.

Oh, I forgot. They shouldn't have even kicked in the door to begin with, right? Smoke coming out of a house? Thomas Jefferson says it's none of the government's business. :):

Honestly....some of you people. :rolleyes:

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Well, since I wasn't there (and neither were you, I'm betting), I don't know how they determined that he may have been mentally disturbed. Perhaps setting several items in your living room on fire and brandishing a sword is a typical night at your house, but I find it a bit odd. I suppose that the police should just let mentally ill people kill themselves, worthless dregs that they are. :rolleyes:

I posted the code for immediate detentions. The general limit on detention is 24 hours, not "indefinitely," as you have so skillfully pulled from your backside.

Oh, I forgot. They shouldn't have even kicked in the door to begin with, right? Smoke coming out of a house? Thomas Jefferson says it's none of the government's business. :):

Lobo quit using reasons someones head may explode. I think the officers were on a power trip and wanted to kick the door in of a smoke filled house. Then they got all tase happy when the guy went mid evil on them.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Brilliant. Let him burn his house down, endangering other houses in the neighborhood, and commit suicide.
    Is it his Property?!

If the Answer to this question is yes, then he should be able to burn it to the foundation if he so desires...

As far as someone wanting to commit suicide...
    Let them. Clears out the gene pool...;)

Even with how un-PC the suicide comment is, I totally agree with it. But yeah, it doesn't sound like much of a fire if it burned out as the firefighters were getting there. I guess I'm going to call ahead and inform the police the next time I decide to burn some paper so I don't get tazed.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN

In reference to suicide, yes. Let them. Their choice, not yours. Once again, a classic sign of police, often being hyped up maniacs like the criminals themselves, wanting to control other's lives and be control freaks. Obviously, since we don't know what is best, we have to have someone else do it for us... :rolleyes:

Even 1 hour is too long in my book. I hear of folks being pulled over and having to wait 45 minutes before they can go about their business due to "officer safety" being used for reason to disarm and hold citizens. Psych evals are an example of slippery slope government incrementalism. Don't like what I write on Facebook, mark me insane, haul me off, find me "crazy" by the "state", strip my rights. Don't like the words on the sign I am holding during a rally? Same SOP, strip me rights. Once again, it's power hungry police and bureaucracy that feeds a feeling of control in the individuals in government.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom