• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I suppose I was a bit unclear. I don't mean to say being afraid of a clown makes it a reasonable fear. I'm saying that those who are afraid of them might justify it to themselves that it is (though that doesn't change the fact it isn't).

What I'm trying to say is, these stupid games are going to get somebody killed.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    QUESTION: At what point before the pulling of the knife would it have been acceptable to pull your handgun and shoot one or two of these mopes?
    As soon as I, being a reasonable person, believed I was in danger. Not sure if the knife would have had to come out, it would depend on the setting and demeanor of the clowns (can't believe I just typed that with a serious face).

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    For many people, yes. I know dozens of people afraid of clowns. A stranger on the street that doesn't trigger as a threat suddenly becomes a terrifying situation when placed in the costume.

Of course in this case there was a knife and a sledgehammer so the costume doesn't make much of a difference. However, somebody will end up shooting a clown that has done nothing more than look menacing, and it won't be a good shoot.
    Yeah, the guy that shot at George Zimmerman just got 20 years!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Okay... this is getting serious. Two clowns (one with a knife) attack a man walking down the street minding his own business. Unfortunately for them they have poor victim selection skills as he curb stomps one of them while the other runs away. QUESTION: At what point before the pulling of the knife would it have been acceptable to pull your handgun and shoot one or two of these mopes?

LaPorte man fends off scary clowns | Northwest Indiana Crime and Court | nwitimes.com

I've seen sources over the years that say even if you have a handgun, claim an attacker with a knife can be a danger within 20 feet of you.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I've seen sources over the years that say even if you have a handgun, claim an attacker with a knife can be a danger within 20 feet of you.

Just remember the Tueller Drill. It is the 21 foot rule and if you should happen to have to use it as a defense for your actions, make sure you mention it when you are arrested so it can be used in court as your defense. This is just from what I have read on the topic. If you fail to mention it when you are arrested or questioned about the incident, you might not be able to bring it up in court as your defense.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Recently it was heavily implied to me that if we don't praise Zimmerman and all that he says and does, we are disloyal...or something.

The opposite side of the coin from the mindless people who insisted that Zimmerman should have allowed himself to be have his head literally caved in rather than use deadly force.
    What neither side seems capable of grasping is that it's actually possible to believe that Zimmerman is a somewhat distasteful person, a bit of a misfit, yet believe that he was fully justified in defending himself with his sidearm when he was brutally attacked.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The phobias of individuals do not transform the unreasonable into the reasonable. "Reasonable" is an objective standard, not a subjective one.

However, should clown costume attacks become frequent and prominent enough such that the hypothetical "reasonable" man would view the mere wearing of the costume and approaching as a threat to life ....then we'd have an argument to make. I don't think we're quite there yet.

I'm genuinely curious about this, you've answered "Law 101" questions for me before, will you indulge me again?

How is "reasonable" an objective standard? Isn't that what people are arguing about at a trial? First, what the facts of the case were, and then if the actions established in the facts are reasonable (and thereby defensible)?

Isn't "reasonable" fluid and dependent on the circumstances?

...or is there some legal edifice that strictly defines what constitutes "reasonable"?

I don't want to pay for law school just to learn this!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Originally Posted by edporch I've seen sources over the years that say even if you have a handgun, claim an attacker with a knife can be a danger within 20 feet of you.

Just remember the Tueller Drill. It is the 21 foot rule and if you should happen to have to use it as a defense for your actions, make sure you mention it when you are arrested so it can be used in court as your defense. This is just from what I have read on the topic. If you fail to mention it when you are arrested or questioned about the incident, you might not be able to bring it up in court as your defense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

Top Bottom