• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Over the weekend I acquired a 1938 91/30 Russian Mosin. The previous owner has already done some work to it which includes mounting a rail in place of the rear sight. I'm looking for a good large eye relief scope in the range of $200-$250 that won't be trashed but will also be something I can realistically afford. Has anyone had experience with a rifle scope like that on such a large caliber rifle? What can you recommend that would be within my money limitations?

Here is what I'm working with:
    picture.php

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    take that stock off, and put a real mosin stock on it! :D

:D I thought about it. The previous owner cut the stock down to accommodate the bipod for nighttime coyote hunting. He also (possibly sanded?) sprayed the stock with bed liner. Shoots great and the parts are clean and rust free as well as all numbers matching :dunno:

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    just giving you a hard time. I like the looks of the "original" guns. but for functionality if you don't have the sights and everything you may just want to stick with adding a scope..

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Good Luck with that scope mount the one I had didn't last 3 rounds before the scope fell off. The problem is the small screws strip out of the aluminum real easy. What I had to do is drill out the aluminum mount & put the original pin through the old sight base and scope mount. But after getting the mount to hold on the gun you need to put some cash into a good scope because if you go cheap like I did you will blow apart the scope in only a few outings.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I believe this is the same Chinese scope being sold under a different name. I don't see any reason to pay double. there are a few variations with the NCStar, but all really the same scope.
    NcSTAR Pistolero Rifle Scope - 2-7x32 Pistol Scope / Blue / Ring FREE S&H SPB2732B. NcSTAR Rifle Scopes.

Les

Ncstar is a diffrent chinese company sold under a diffrent name. Leatherwood is not quite as bad as Ncstar, but its very doubtful either will last long. The are most defintally not the same scope

If I were doing it I would probably run this scope in your price range. The extra 40 bucks will be money well spent

Nikon Force XR Riflescopes 2.5-8X28mm EER - BDC Reticle FREE S&H 8469, 8468. Nikon Rifle Scopes.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Nikon Force XR Riflescope

Ncstar is a diffrent chinese company sold under a diffrent name. Leatherwood is not quite as bad as Ncstar, but its very doubtful either will last long. The are most defintally not the same scope

If I were doing it I would probably run this scope in your price range. The extra 40 bucks will be money well spent

Nikon Force XR Riflescopes 2.5-8X28mm EER - BDC Reticle FREE S&H 8469, 8468. Nikon Rifle Scopes.

Hi Alan,
    Thanks for the information. Do you sell the scope you mentioned above? I would prefer to keep everything local and through INGO if I go with this scope.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I have a Rock Steady mount on mine with a standard scope. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I can.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have a Simmons 2-6 on my Redhawk 44 mag. It has held up well. Life time Warranty!

If simmons has a life time warranty then why do they sneak this little line in their warranty page

"
    When your unit is received it will be assigned a repair number. After reading your letter, a technician will evaluate your unit to determine what repairs are needed and whether or not warranty coverage will be applicable. It is our option to repair or replace your unit. If your unit is NOT covered under warranty, an estimate for repair or replacement will be mailed to you."

If simmons had a lifetime warranty why wouldnt somthing be covered? Just by googling you find that it takes about 3 months to go threw there process, and god help you if your not the original owner or dont have your original reciept. They leave themselves so many outs it becomes not worth it. Lifetime warranty doesnt mean what it usto mean with all companies.

This is after you pay shipping to them, and give send them a check to cover shipping back to you. Companies love saying they have a lifetime warranty, but they make it so expensive to claim the warranty and such a pain that typically folks just throw the 50 dollar scope away and call it a lesson. After they get to that point is when they have lost money is when they learn the lesson about buying cheapo optics.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I have one of these and am pretty impressed: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/BSA-2-7X32-Series-Pistol-Scope/dp/B0016SAJ8I]Amazon.com: BSA 2-7X32 Edge Series Pistol Scope: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    As most of the EER scopes are a bit on the expensive side------I mounted(on a Mosin) a 'Red Dot" type scope-------worked fine ----cost less than 100.00

tallend

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    i had that rail up front its not worth any thing, it wont hold zero you might try the brass stacker mount it supposedly a good mount that hold zero, well it's made out of steel at least.

Top Bottom