• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Let's say I get an employment opportunity in another state. Let's also say I can line up an inexpensive rental property for the duration of the stay but it is in remote rural setting containing bears, mountain lions, and wolves. What would be my minimum caliber choice for a sidearm for carry and then what is the minimum caliber choice for a long gun for backup in either truck or the cabin? The cabin is situated in the foothills of a decent sized range in the SW.

I've hunted, but only in Indiana so big game and large caliber is out of my zone of knowledge.

I can't afford to break the bank, so exotic need not apply :laugh:

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    I've got a .30/30 lever, so I might just go with that, but guess 9mm won't cut it (already knew it was too small) for a side arm. Was really hoping to hear .357 mag would be enough because I've been hankering for one in a wheel gun anyway.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    30.06 w/.44mag back up on the bears. I did some bear hunting and I wouldn't go less than the 06.
    It's good on about anything on the N.A. Continent.

This is my choice. The 06 will handle the black bear without too much problem if your aim is passable. The 44 will work on same even if it's a large black bear. I would not go less than either.
    :twocents:

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    These won't be for hunting but for protection. Land owner informed me up front its nothing for any of the three to be "sitting in the yard" at any time.

With that said on the rifle I will stick with my .30/30 rifle since a defense shot is going to be well under 100 yards and that's where the difference between .30/30 and .30/06 kick in. But I will look at .44 mag wheel guns.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    For bear defense nothing beats a 12. gauge. Like you said close quarters shots. Load heavy, slugs would be my choice. Then a .44 mag revolver with 240 swc for a handgun.

That's the "house" gun and will be going any way. :yesway:

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    If it's just for defense I'd use a slug gun. If its a hunting gun I'd go with the 06 or 308. As for the pistol I'd pick 44mag or S&W 500

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Not that there will ever be an end to the conflation of caliber and chambering, but there is no minimum for either.

I've flopped bears and wolves both at ranges far exceeding self defense with a 243AI, and I've seen others do it with 'less'. I've seen yet others muff it with 'more' and demonstrate that there is good correlation between muffs and the belief that using a boomer cartridge is a trump card.

You want something lithe and quick handling that you will shoot a lot and you want to shoot good bullets. Everything else is way back behind that.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    As for minumim caliber on bears, I will take bear spray on the trail. A multi year study that I'm to lazy too look up again indiacated that bear spray is more effective than a gun.

The following is all conjecture, not based on any experience whatsoever...

To answer the gun question I would take my 4" .45 Colt Redhawk on my hip. If you're not into handloading then the same in .44 Magnum would be my minimum. Either one with 300gr bullets.

And in some areas that would always play backup to an adequate long gun, for the times when I had to set my rifle/shotgun down.

As for what rifle... it would have to spit out something 200gr or heavier. In my dreams, my "one rifle" for big animals would be a .338-06.

For the moutain lions and wolves (and I wouldn't give a second thought to the wolves, unless the bear left me for dead) my XD-40 would suffice.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Really? What game do you consider dangerous?

If I ever meet one I hope I remember to ask!

Lets start with most larger bears, lions, buffalo, elephant, larger hogs, Should I go one for you?

Also a good kill with larger game does take more weight at times. I know it is popular to claim humane kills with smaller bullets, from my forty years of hunting over a large part of the world, it is just not so.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    How many grains is enough for, say, an African buffalo?

How many grains per pound of bear?

Is there a certain bullet you've used on lions that you'd say was more effective than others you've used?

Thanks!

Top Bottom