• Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    +1 on that
    I would just add that you can increase the precision of using that technique with a bolt action by inserting a fired and deprimed case all the way into the chamber, then peering down the flash hole of the case.
    I'd like to take credit for that idea, but someone in a gun magazine (Rick Jamison?) suggested that.
    I would also add that you can use the same technique you mentioned with any break action or falling block single shot, and all modern Marlin lever actions, once you take out the bolt.
    The first shot went right where I aimed with this technique, only requiring adjustment for POI at a given range after that.

Makes sense that this would add some fine tuning. I have a couple rifles that need sighting in this spring, am going to try this. Thanks for the tip!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Personally I have never felt the need for one. Son and I collect firearms and shoot almost every one. I have mounted scopes on numerous rifles, including automatics. As has been stated Bolt action rifles are very simple, just remove the bolt and sight thru the bore then sight thru the scope without moving the gun. Adjust the scope until they are in agreement, load and shoot then make the final scope adjustments.

With auto's I just shoot at either close range (25 yards or so) or use a fairly large target at 50 or 100 yds., never had a rifle not print the first shot. After that adjustment of the scope is easy. I have never had to take more than 6 ~ 8 shots to get the scope in fairly good adjustment at 100 yds. Of course to final tune the scope, you need to shoot at longer range on a windless day (if you intend to shoot long range).

I am real sure all the ammo I would have saved using a laser bore sight in the sast 40 years would not amount to 10% of the cost of the laser!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I am real sure all the ammo I would have saved using a laser bore sight in the sast 40 years would not amount to 10% of the cost of the laser!

I found my laser bore sighter for $29 - and I've easily gotten that much use out of it!! Sighted in .22Lr, .222, .223, .22-250, .243, .270, and .30-06. If using the laser gets me within about 3 MOA from the beginning, that saves at least a couple rounds (for me at least), and when they're about $1/rd for many of these calibers, I'm confident that I've at least broken even by now. ...also I now reload a couple of these calibers, so I'm not as worried about the price, but that's another story.

I don't think anyone is saying that OTHER ways of sighting in a rifle are bad or obsolete. But, an additional tool that makes sighting in easier, is great for shooters that can't just go to the range on a whim (or out in the back yard, etc)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I found my laser bore sighter for $29 - and I've easily gotten that much use out of it!! Sighted in .22Lr, .222, .223, .22-250, .243, .270, and .30-06. If using the laser gets me within about 3 MOA from the beginning, that saves at least a couple rounds (for me at least), and when they're about $1/rd for many of these calibers, I'm confident that I've at least broken even by now. ...also I now reload a couple of these calibers, so I'm not as worried about the price, but that's another story.

I don't think anyone is saying that OTHER ways of sighting in a rifle are bad or obsolete. But, an additional tool that makes sighting in easier, is great for shooters that can't just go to the range on a whim (or out in the back yard, etc)

I just sighted in my new Bone Collector Gammo air rifle. One on my lasers will do all the way down to .177 and it was a great help in deciding the POS optic that was on it was in fact a POS.
    Swapped out the factory optic for a spare I had and am now drilling with that rifle.
    Lasers have their place.
    I used to kick it old school and did all right. Now I do just a little better.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    one last comment -- the lasers are NOT exceptionally bright. Even in shade, they're hard to see beyond 50 yds.
    My solution was to use it outside my backdoor at night, usually very late. Very effective.

to restate: You don't NEED a laser boresighter, but how many people need QD mounts for scopes, slings, or bipods? It's a useful tool that can help you, that's all.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    one last comment -- the lasers are NOT exceptionally bright. Even in shade, they're hard to see beyond 50 yds.
    My solution was to use it outside my backdoor at night, usually very late. Very effective. Our neighbor has a satellite dish that is 90 yds from our door, so I sight in on that.

to restate: You don't NEED a laser boresighter, but how many people need QD mounts for scopes, slings, or bipods? It's a useful tool that can help you, that's all.

For a small amount of $ you can get a "Daylight" Laser Target. I have used mine out to 50yds with success in daylite.

Agree........useful tool. Not an end-all.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I have 2 cartridge style (I know the guns unloaded). They were on amazon for less then $10. Lasers are great for dryfire practice as noted above. They really helps with moving scopes around pre range trip.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington

Buy a green laser. Much easier to see in daylight, but more expensive than red.

BTW, shining a green laser around a room might just ruin your appetite. I had a green laser-pointer for teaching, and was using it to exercise my cat when I began to notice the laser highlighted a great deal of dust in the air (far more than most people would imagine). I then thought of those chocolate "fountains" in some restaurants and buffets/self-serve food tables in general, and I thought about how much dust, dirt and germs were floating around, if the air in my home was any indication. Throw in what a person tracks into the place when they cross a parking lot and I've sworn off buffets for good. Yikes.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    I have 2 cartridge style

I have one as well, and you can have the same problem of a bad factory adjustment that you can have with the in-the-muzzle type. I've applied pressure to the BCG of my AR with the cartridge laser in place, and the dot will move around a bit. Because of that, I rely more on the in-muzzle type.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    No doubt, depending on how far out you are sighting, it could be at worst case 45" at 100 yards with a .223. I will spin it in the chamber to find the center line. I just chamber it though, I don't close the bolt on it.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Well, the police range was available Saturday so I just decided to forget the bore sighter and do it the old fashion way...... with bullets and paper. I soon realized that I needed something more important than the bore sighter, a good spotting scope. I burned a lot of calories walking back and forth to the targets all afternoon and my legs are telling me the same. Anyways, the rifle and red dot are dead on now.

Top Bottom