• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thrash1982

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    I am about to register an AR lower as an SBR and will need to have it engraved with my information. I checked out a local trophy shop that will do it, however I was not impressed with their capabilities. Are there any shops that will laser engrave a lower in the Lafayette area or surrounding areas? The Indianapolis area would be an option as well if they are open on weekends. Thanks all.

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I do them. But, I'm about 30 miles east of Indy. Quite a bit out of your way. I do offer appointments. Nights or weekends. Let me know if I can help.

Thrash1982

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Thanks for the reply purple. My parents live in Indy so if I'm down there for a weekend sometime in the near future you may hear from me. Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know if I have to have my approved Form 1 on hand before I get the lower engraved or can I do it before I send it/while it's with the ATF?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    do you happen to know if I have to have my approved Form 1 on hand before I get the lower engraved or can I do it before I send it/while it's with the ATF?

I have my engraving done prior to the form being approved. In the past, I have sent my receiver and Form 1 off at the same time; invariably, the engraver is faster than my NFA examiner.

Technically, as soon as the form is approved, the lower becomes an SBR and as such must be compliant with all regs regarding same, which includes the engraving requirement. There are also restrictions on who can possess your registered SBR, which might come into play depending on who you are going to have do the engraving. As an example, you can't leave your registered SBR with an engraver overnight unless they are a gunsmith, Class II mfr. or Class III dealer.

HTH!

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Hey Thrash. For what it's worth, I hold a Class I FFL. So, this is on the up & up. I'm a business. But, the easiest way, is for you to come to my shop, and wait. I'll engrave it in front of you, then you can leave with it. It will never leave your sight. No waiting, or shipping. You can call me if you need to discuss things further. (765) 445-9243

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Not true. The factories are using lasers to put in the serial #s. I just use a rotary machine so there won't be any question. Besides, I can control the depth per thousandth.

Thrash1982

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Going to resurrect an old thread here. I put my SBR plans on hold due to financial reasons shortly after posting this thread way back when. The ball is definitely rolling now though. All my paperwork is ready to be sent in so I need to get my AR lower engraved soon. Purple, if you happen to see this, do you still do engraving?

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    This is the reason we need to make a sticky of Engravers in Indiana. If purple still does engraving, I would be willing to send some work his way. Let us know

Thrash1982

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    A sticky would be very helpful. I've been to two trophy shops in town and while they do firearm engraving I'm not real comfortable with letting them do my SBR engraving as that sort of thing is not their usual sort of thing. It would be great to have some sort of list of people who do that sort of engraving on a regular basis.

Top Bottom