• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    I've been looking at laser and flashlight combos for my AR-15 and have found one I like. The issue is that it appears several companies make them, all ranging in price. Has anyone used one of the following?

Vector Optics SCFX-06 Cobra 200 Lumen Flashlight / Green Laser Combo Tactical Trigger Grip - Vector Optics Easley, SC

Aimtrax Flashlight green laser with T.switch 8-12-008

TACTICAL4LESS ? 250LM 20MW GREEN Laser Flashlight Weaponlight Vertical Rifle Rail Fore

They all appear to be identical, except for the different ratings for both light and laser.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Besides playing with the cat, why a laser?

And I'm not a fan of a "trigger" switch being used to activate that light/laser.

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    This would be on my rifle primarily in a home defense scenario. The laser is more of a deterrent, the logic being that someone may realize that they are about to get shot and surrender, without any shots being fired.
    I like the trigger model because it allows for quick on/off, without having wires running down the side of my rifle.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This would be on my rifle primarily in a home defense scenario. The laser is more of a deterrent, the logic being that someone may realize that they are about to get shot and surrender, without any shots being fired.
    I like the trigger model because it allows for quick on/off, without having wires running down the side of my rifle.

LOL not very good logic.

You'd be better off using the money for a good light and ammo.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Why do you think that isn't sound logic?

Just my opinion. Triggers make things go bang, not made for turning on flashlights, especially on a gun. I shoot long guns from either hand. At 3am try to remember which trigger to pull.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Why do you think that isn't sound logic?

Come on guys. He's asking a legitimate question, it deserves something other than snark.

I don't know if my logic is sound either Jeepsandguns but here's my take: You only train your firearm on a person if you intend on pulling the trigger. If you're buying a laser because you think it may help you acquire your target, that's one thing but if you're doing it as a non-lethal deterrent, that's the unsound part of your logic--If you're going to aim a loaded weapon at a person, it had better be a damn good reason and you'd better be ready to use it to stop a threat to your life, grave bodily injury to you or another person.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Come on guys. He's asking a legitimate question, it deserves something other than snark.

Awe... Can't it be both? Even my legitimate answers usually contain at least a little snark.

The problem is 2 fold.

The idea of responding to a lethal threat with a non-lethal deterrent, and a "trigger actuated accessory".

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    It takes the same muscle memory to turn this laser on as it does to fire the gun.

my simple minded logic says bullets are activated by pulling a trigger not lasers. In a panic, can you remember which trigger to pull? No snark implied, I don't trust myself to get that one right. Getting it wrong once could have some very bad consequences.

Ever panic while playing a video game and accidentally pull the wrong trigger or push the wrong button. It happens after countless hours "training" on video games. Now, imagine a real panic situation with two fingers on triggers.

FWIW, when I first saw the light laser combos, I thought they were pretty cool, until I thought through the whole two triggers aspect. :twocents:

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel

I don't know if my logic is sound either Jeepsandguns but here's my take: You only train your firearm on a person if you intend on pulling the trigger. If you're buying a laser because you think it may help you acquire your target, that's one thing but if you're doing it as a non-lethal deterrent, that's the unsound part of your logic--If you're going to aim a loaded weapon at a person, it had better be a damn good reason and you'd better be ready to use it to stop a threat to your life, grave bodily injury to you or another person.

Thanks for the helpful response. I agree that if you are going to point at firearm at someone, you better be prepared to use it. The best outcome of that scenario however is one without any shots fired. As for the trigger, it allows for you to turn on the light when you need it, as opposed to it always being on, so that you can maintain some level of surprise by not immediately giving away where you are in the dark.

So back to my original question, has anyone had any experience with these products

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    Awe... Can't it be both? Even my legitimate answers usually contain at least a little snark.

The problem is 2 fold.

The idea of responding to a lethal threat with a non-lethal deterrent, and a "trigger actuated accessory".

I believe the AR which it would be attached to would be a plenty lethal combatant to their threat

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    It takes the same muscle memory to turn this laser on as it does to fire the gun.

my simple minded logic says bullets are activated by pulling a trigger not lasers. In a panic, can you remember which trigger to pull? No snark implied, I don't trust myself to get that one right. Getting it wrong once could have some very bad consequences.

Ever panic while playing a video game and accidentally pull the wrong trigger or push the wrong button. It happens after countless hours "training" on video games. Now, imagine a real panic situation with two fingers on triggers.

FWIW, when I first saw the light laser combos, I thought they were pretty cool, until I thought through the whole two triggers aspect. :twocents:

Definitely a valid point worth considering. Thanks for the feedback

Top Bottom