• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm intrigued by some of the laser training pistols on the market like the 'sirt' pistol. Better yet, aimtech has a laser-barrel with a special mag so you don't have to rack the slide to reset the trigger. At about $300 apiece how much value do these provide over simple 'dry-fire' practice? Anyone here have any experience with these, or others?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have a bit of experience. I like this combo. Well worth the money IMHO. And if you are a glock shooter, it will likely fit your holster.

Amazon.com : SIRT Student (red/red laser) Red Slide : Laser Rangefinders : Sports & Outdoors (you can find it a little cheaper elsewhere, but shipping balances it out.)
    LASR: Laser Activated Shot Reporter (If you upgrade to a red/green laser pistol, you can set this software to ignore one of the colors so you can utilize the takeup laser)

The above will get you rolling relatively inexpensively, just add a laptop and external webcam. (cheap webcams can be had for $30) The only thing I wish is I had gone infra red. There is a tendency using visible lasers to walk your shots in. With the IR laser pistol (and special IR web cam) you cant see your hits with the naked eye. So you have NO idea where you are hitting until you score it.

ETA: Add one of these to be able to do reload drills.
    http://www.amazon.com/SIRT-Performe...18612408&sr=8-1&keywords=sirt+pistol+magazine

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have the SIRT that JTGarner has and gave good advise to me about. I purchased the steel version and purchased the extra mag to practice mag swap. Per JT's suggestion you can add a few sheets of paper inside of the mag if you take it apart to make it more life like on the release.

It is the best approach that I have found for dry fire practice.

I purchased mine from Botach.com. They have free shipping and run specials sometimes for $50 off purchases. It is the same size and weight as the Glock 17, 22

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have the SIRT that JTGarner has and gave good advise to me about. I purchased the steel version and purchased the extra mag to practice mag swap. Per JT's suggestion you can add a few sheets of paper inside of the mag if you take it apart to make it more life like on the release.

It is the best approach that I have found for dry fire practice.

I purchased mine from Botach.com. They have free shipping and run specials sometimes for $50 off purchases. It is the same size and weight as the Glock 17, 22

I am not familiar with this product. What is it about this system that you like so much for dry fire practice?

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    I just got the sirt ar bolt, laserlyte 9mm cartridge, and laser targets. So far I really like them. I wish the sirt ar was made of metal, I'm afraid I will eventually break the plastic.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have had my red/green metal Sirt gun for about a year. It has been very beneficial.

True, if you are not careful you will have a tendency to walk in your shots. But on the other hand it is a great tool to see where you shots are hitting, especially from odd shooting positions light shooting from retention, or force on force.

It is also nice to see how small changes in your grip keep that dot stable.

When you spend that kind of money on this you will dryfire more lol.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom