• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Read it and weep! Really makes one want to rush out and buy a .22 rimfire.

CMP Sales Update 17 Dec 2013 - CMP Forums

AMMUNITION UPDATE. The CMP has been notified by ammunition manufacturers and distributors to expect price increases and significant delivery delays for all calibers of ammunition, especially for .22 rimfire. The price increases and delays apply to orders we have already placed with the manufacturers. Prior to 2013 CMP received deliveries of truckloads of ammo within a few weeks of placing orders. We are now being advised, as in the case of Aguila .22, that it may take several years to receive all of the 35,000,000 rounds of Aguila ammo we have on order.

As a result of this situation, CMP has placed orders with several different manufacturers for large amounts of ammunition in various calibers. We expect to receive only a few pallets at a time because manufacturers and distributors are rationing the ammo to their customers. As we receive ammo, we will contact customers with oldest orders already in place with the option to purchase whatever we receive at the new prices, cancel the order, or remain on the list for the manufacturer they originally requested. All price increases to CMP will be passed on to the customer. CMP will not be profiting from the increase in prices.

We will continue to accept orders for ammunition, with the understanding that the wait time for customers between placing an order and receiving the ammunition may be anywhere from a few weeks to a few years. Most other retailers are in the same situation as the CMP. We suggest that customers leave their CMP orders in place and not cancel until they are able to purchase ammo elsewhere. CMP customers will be contacted as to pricing and manufacturer before any orders are filled. We do not expect to have any additional information until after the annual SHOT Show in mid January, when we will meet with all of the ammo manufacturers.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I still find this hard to believe this is anything but an engineered shortage. By whom? Take a wild guess.

Reasons I feel this way? How long its been going on. It doesn't seem to be effecting other countries.

Price increase? Materials have not increased in price to any extent.

It will effect future generations in the shooting sports, nothing like getting rid of supply so future kids loose interest.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    I still find this hard to believe this is anything but an engineered shortage. By whom? Take a wild guess.

Reasons I feel this way? How long its been going on. It doesn't seem to be effecting other countries.

It will effect future generations in the shooting sports, nothing like getting rid of supply so future kids loose interest.

Well thought through.
    However I think that what this theory improperly assumes is that the Federal Government is capable of, or willing to think beyond the next election cycle. :(

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    1) 100,000,000 gun owners, most owning .22s
    2) Significant percentage of these sames people- easily panicked (ironically)
    3) "I'm gonna make sure I get all I can for myself" attitude
    4) Initial shortages cause more panic
    5) People who were not originally panicked start thinking: "if I don't buy now, the panicky people will take it all"

Gun owners are not much of a community at times.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Well thought through.
    However I think that what this theory improperly assumes is that the Federal Government is capable of, or willing to think beyond the next election cycle. :(

I was thinking along the same lines, but I believe that those in power now actually believe they will retain power for a long long time. With the "other party" in apparent shambles, the next president will very likely install the "First Mister" in the White House as the clinton reign of terror returns. I hate to say it, but I believe that they actually expect to be in power and could very well be shaking up the ammo industry as they know they can't control firearms, but they sure as heck can make ammo scarce and very expensive.

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    5) People who were not originally panicked start thinking: "if I don't buy now, the panicky people will take it all"

The only problem is that in November 2013 every ammo store around had pallets
    of 22 lr sitting in isles.

At a NRA dinner last August a guy I had worked with told me about a work trip to Canada in July.
    He stopped in a sporting store only to trip over a pallet of 22lr.

I don't have private property to shoot on, so my shooting is at ranges.
    I have not seen a significant increase in shooters at the ranges I frequent.

It's twelve months since the last crisis began. And, the time of year when
    discretionary funds are at the lowest, and the shortage continues.

I have yet to hear a beleavable explanation for the shortage of 22lr.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    A brick lasts many Casual shooter for years, or even a lifetime, but as soon as their buddy tells them you can't find 22 ammo anymore they are going to start buying it whenever they see it. So you have 10s of thousands of people who buy maybe a brick every 5 years, now buying 6 or 7 bricks in the course of a year. It's an exponential increase in demand.

futurefrogman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN

Those are interesting points...Btw, what other countries is anyone even allowed to buy .22? I can't imagine it's a popular caliber for foreign police or millitary.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Those are interesting points...Btw, what other countries is anyone even allowed to buy .22? I can't imagine it's a popular caliber for foreign police or millitary.

Who is discussing what the police or military are using?

Most everywhere in Europe where matches are held and New Zealand and Australia, how bout Canada?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

That makes too much sense to be true

W
    Most everywhere in Europe where matches are held and New Zealand and Australia, how bout Canada?

Just curious, but have you been to said countries lately to see if they have a .22 shortage?

That being said, I doubt they have a shortage because they didn't have a mentally disturbed kid shoot up an elementary school last year and have some politicians go ape :poop: and propose all sorts of new regulations and restrictions. People still have the "buy buy buy" mode turned on when it comes to a lot of different ammo

You remember the time where you couldn't find 5.56, 7.62x39, and PMAGs on the shelf? And look at it now, you can buy as many cases as your heart desires and enough PMAGs to fill your home. The reason? People quit buying them.

Oh, Canada....last time I heard, ATK (Federal, CCI) was planning on diverting some of the .22 they send to Canada into the American market to help ease the shortage. Not sure if that's still their plan though

We are our own worst enemy.....mostly

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have seen a lot of engineered shortages over my life. These people are seizing on an opportunity to make a serious financial hit. They will get it done. Also they may be seeing a lot of this (shooting) coming to an end with over board knee jerk lib gun control antics from the fed.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    It's just my guess that maybe the margins are not as good on .22 rimfire ammo as it is on centerfire ammo, so during a shortage, the ammo manufacturers would use their resources to produce the most profit. Leaving 22 rimfire manufacturing for when they are caught up with centerfire demand.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    It's just my guess that maybe the margins are not as good on .22 rimfire ammo as it is on centerfire ammo, so during a shortage, the ammo manufacturers would use their resources to produce the most profit. Leaving 22 rimfire manufacturing for when they are caught up with centerfire demand.

Not even the same machines used. You actually think they shut down the one end of the factory and move everyone to the other end?????????????????????????????

OOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooKay!

Top Bottom