• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Alright so I have a question regarding purchasing handgun ammo at the age of 18. I would like to purchase a carbine chambered in 9mm, but I don't know if I'll be able to purchase the ammo once I do. Basically my question is, if I intend to use the 9mm cartridges in a long gun, not a handgun, can I legally purchase it?

I believe this principle applies to .22 LR ammo, but I wondered about it regarding this caliber which is found far more commonly in handguns.
    Thanks!

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Alright so I have a question regarding purchasing handgun ammo at the age of 18. I would like to purchase a carbine chambered in 9mm, but I don't know if I'll be able to purchase the ammo once I do. Basically my question is, if I intend to use the 9mm cartridges in a long gun, not a handgun, can I legally purchase it?

I believe this principle applies to .22 LR ammo, but I wondered about it regarding this caliber which is found far more commonly in handguns.
    Thanks!
    I think it all depends on the retailer. Some gun stores may not have a problem selling to an 18-20 year old, but WalMart and Meijer may have policies that state you must be 21+ to purchase anything firearms related.

I know WalMart has a 18+ policy on WD40 and Brake Cleaner. :rolleyesedit:

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I can only repeat what I was told by an employee of Walmart when I asked him the same question. At Walmart you must be 18 to buy rifle ammo and 21 to buy handgun ammo. Since some are interchangeable the register asks if it is for rifle or handgun when scanned. Make sure you tell them it is for rifle or they will assume it's for a handgun. You shouldn't have a problem.

As far as an actual gun shop it should be a breeze. If they ask you if you are 21 when you go to buy it tell them that is for a rifle.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I can only repeat what I was told by an employee of Walmart when I asked him the same question. At Walmart you must be 18 to buy rifle ammo and 21 to buy handgun ammo. Since some are interchangeable the register asks if it is for rifle or handgun when scanned. Make sure you tell them it is for rifle or they will assume it's for a handgun. You shouldn't have a problem.

As far as an actual gun shop it should be a breeze. If they ask you if you are 21 when you go to buy it tell them that is for a rifle.

What he said. :+1:

Top Bottom