• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Im thinking about picking one of these little guys up for the wife as she has a snubby 357 that never leaves her purse or the sometimes even the house or the car and i want to get something she will actually carry. Anyone one on here put many rounds through a bodyguard? and are they reliable from your experience? We had a maybe 2 light strikes in 50 rounds or so but the gun fired on the second hit. Ive never had that happen in my p3at. I know the lcp's are know for reliability. We both have shot a bodyguard a little. My wife didnt like the heavier trigger pull and i did like it for safety reasons. Plus i like the idea of having the safety for when the gun is not on her like at home etc plus we have 2 kids. Price is pretty close on the lcp custom and non laser bodyguard plus the bodyguard comes with 2 magazines which saves about $30. Lcp custom feels/looks nice and its lighter and has a better trigger. I dont think a guy can go wrong either way. Just looking for opinions experience with these two guns.

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    Personally I prefer the bodygaurd. I owned an LCP a year ago and sold it. The reason I ditched the Ruger was mainly due to its unpleasant shooting experience. I did not like the sights. I could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. The trigger was awful. It had no slide lock. The ergos where horrible. It was snappy to shoot. The positive is the Ruger was a tad smaller and lighter. Finally it was just down right ugly.

I purchased an M&P bodygaurd without a laser from Palmetto State over Labor Day. They were running a special on them for $259. Here's what I like about the Smith. It looks nicer. It has a functional slide stop and stays open on the last round. It has a safety if that's your thing. It is easier to field strip. It is more ergonomic. It has better sights. The bodygaurd handles recoil vastly better than the LCP. You can get mag-guts kits to increase your magazine capacity and not add size. Hardened firing pins and heavier springs are also available.

On my first outing my Bodygaurd was flawless with a mix of PMC, and Armscor 95gr FMJ. I also put a mag of Hornady CD and Federal Hydro's through with no problems. When I actually tried I managed a two mag 6" group at 7 yards with the Bodygaurd. Not great, but not bad for the first time with a tiny pistol and much better than I could ever muster with the LCP

Last edited:

newdave61

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2015
    Avon
    I would let HER pick something out.

That turned out to be a mistake for me. She picked out a ultralite J frame 38 +P.

Me: You remember how you said the 9 had too much recoil (G19)?
    Her: Yes, but this feels better.
    Me: This will be snappier.
    Her: I can hold this one better.
    Me: OK, Yakky, but you oughta shoot one first.
    Her: It'll be OK.

Fast forward to first range visit. Her comments:
    1. It's too snappy
    2. Can't see the sites
    3. Can't get on paper at 7yds (killing me now)
    4. Trigger pull is too much

Before the purchase I was gonna let her continue with the 22/45 for a couple months but she wanted something NOW. Bad mistake.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Both the LCP and the bodyguard are not easy to shoot well and for the novice shooter I wouldn't recommend, out of all the small .380's the Glock 42 is the easiest to shoot and has minimal recoil. I shoot almost all the small semi's in .380 and 9mm and my pick is the G42 by a mile.

gotguns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    I'd go bodyguard. I have an LCP and it's ok, but I'm not a big fan. I agree with others though, let her choose. She may decide on a shield or an LC9s or...

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    She has a snubby that stays in her purse so no need for a bigger gun. She is about 5'2" and 100ish pounds. She wont carry anything bigger than the 2 listed. She has shot my p3at 380 and a bodyguard with decent results. My p3at in a pocket holster wont even fit in her jeans pockets. She has carried iwb a few times around the house and said that it wasnt too bad and i know that woman arent like men. We will change our clothing to fit the gun and that wont happen with the ladies..

jmpupillo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    NWI
    I would go the Ruger route. The LCPs has a surprisingly nice trigger, and is striker fired so it will not snag.

I have carried and shot the Bodyguard, and frankly find the trigger pull unbearable for a defensive pistol. In a panic, yanking on that 10lb trigger will send shots everywhere.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My wife also carries the LCP. I concur that the sights are horrid, and beyond "bad breath distance" it is VERY inaccurate. We actually were just at the range today and as usual she was combat effective at 7 yards, but wasnt hitting much in the 9+ ring.

I'll be glad to meet you at a range with her LCP to let her shoot it to see firsthand how she likes it. My guess is she is going to prefer the bodyguard.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    I've had both bodyguard w/lazer and LCP both replaced with kahr cw380 (my wife has a purple frame cw380). I figured out what ammo it likes and never looked back. Side by side the BG trigger was worse/ heavier than the LCP . LCP side by side with cw380 physically almost exactly the same size plus the kahr just shoots softer , she can handle and shoot it better than the lcp.
    Good luck!

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    "You're killing me, Smalls!"

With that out of the way, I can only speak to the LCP since I've never shot a Bodyguard. If she can shoot your P3AT, she will like the LCP, better trigger and better sights.

Top Bottom