• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    ok, i found out as much as i wanted to know about the sccy 9s...

now for something i actually tend on purchasing....

ok, lets try better compact revolver...Ruger LCR 38sp or S&W Poly Bodygaurd 38sp....i actually intend to grab one of these and so far i plan to stay loyal to Ruger...the LCR w/ Hogue Boot grip looks like a damn nice piece...seen video's of shooting on it and no one had a problem with recoil...just another Ruger wheelgun i think...so if anyone can, try and convince me that the S&W is a better performer...oh, yea, ther are two models of the LCR the one i'm lookin' at has the Boot Grip and XS Big Dots...

ooooor should i got a different route completely and get Mini 14 in 7.62....hmm

Last edited:

NickL45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    I just bought a Ruger LCR with the boot grip and XS nite site. I've shot it one time and am pleased with the accuracy and handling. However, the recoil is pretty sharp with those small grips. I've ordered a pair of the Hogue Tamer grips from Ruger to replace the boot grips. They should be here today and I can put some test rounds through this weekend.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    my wife and I have the LCR w/the houge grip and I like it alot! She loves hers! I too was wondering about this same question so I bought the Bodyguard in 38 and there is really not much difference. I like the Ruger more myself. The recoil isnt as bad as the Smith and I like the XS sights on my Ruger! The laser didnt interest me much on the Smith as we both have the CTC laser on our Rugers. I also got the Bodyguard 380 and dont care for it so its for sale in my dads shop.He bought it from me to carry and didnt care for it either. IMO stay with Ruger!

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't own either of these revolvers but I'm interested in both as a CCW. I had a chance to grab both at the last gun show though. The S&W has several "features" that I don't see as a + or - the ambi cylinder release, the laser and the weight is similar to an airweight. The grip is what has me leaning toward the BG. The boot grips on the LCR seem too short and the tamer grips felt too narrow in the fingers for me. I was impressed with the longer grip on the BG, it felt most comfortable for me. If that grip was available for 442 or 642 I'd be looking for one of those. If there were aftermarket grips available for the LCR it would be higher on my list.

If only the Karh cw9 wasn't pulling me in a third direction....

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    I owned an LCR for a while. Pretty good gun. I will say that recoil from any .38 snubby is going to be snappy. Just to throw another wrench into your search, what is the capacity on the two? I know the LCR is a five shot and that 6 shot ones are out there.

Any particular reason you are choosing a wheelgun over a semi auto? I first had a .357 Smith and later a .38 LCR but always for one reason or another settled back on a reliable 9mm. Just figured we could discuss it if you are interested in any more input.

NickL45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    I received the tamer grips in the mail yesterday for the LCR. It took about 2 minutes to install them and they are GREAT. With the boot grips, I never felt like I had a secure grip on the LCR. The tamer grips are "fuller" and seemed to give me a MUCH more secure grip on it now. I haven't had the chance shoot in since putting them on, but hope to over the weekend. I highly recommend the Hogue tamer grips. The only place I could find them was through the Ruger website

Top Bottom