• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Hey all,

My wife wants to shoot my .45 but is 20 weeks pregnant and doesn't want to shoot the lead (due to lead dust etc.) I have been on-line (cheaperthandirt.com and others) but the shipping is crazy high:noway:.

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can buy the stuff locally. I have tried the biggies (i.e. Gander, Dicks, Wally and Meijer) without any luck. I don't want anything exotic just some UMC like this but they want an additional 14.00 to ship it.

Let me know!

Jay T.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Good thinking. I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, but I've had a mild case of lead poisoning and looked into the matter with great personal interest. I'd also strongly advise not letting her shoot on an indoor range. For the most part, they're the equivalent of foraging for food in a toxic waste dump.

Lead is vaporized in the primer and from the base of the bullet. Regardless of whether or not the airflow is OSHA approved, you can't avoid some degree of contamination even if you are shooting lead free ammo. Everything inside the range is contaminated with lead dust, from the coat hooks to the carpet, and everything you set down on it iis likely to get tracked back into the house, where infants are especially susceptible to the exposure.

I shoot on an indoor range when I have to, but not when I have a choice. The shoes stay in the garage, and the clothes go into the washing machine immediately.

Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    I'd also strongly advise not letting her shoot on an indoor range. For the most part, they're the equivalent of foraging for food in a toxic waste dump.

I totally agree and since we live on acreage, we shoot at the back of our property beyond our creek where the natural landscape creates a perfect backdrop for shooting. We've hosted everything from basic target shooting to skeet back there, so once again I have no thoughts of going to an indoor range.

As for TFMJ, the concern is when the weapon is actually fired. Surprisingly there can be a significant amount of lead dust floating around when shooting most anything other than Lead-free.

The hardest part about shooting lead-free is finding it locally I guess.

Anyone else know of any shops around the indy are that carry it?

Thanks

Jay T.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    The hardest part about shooting lead-free is finding it locally I guess.

Anyone else know of any shops around the indy are that carry it?

Thanks[/quote]

If you're going to be in the Carmel area, or even relatively close, I'd be happy to swap new factory Federal American Eagle Lead Free 230 grain TMJ for new standard factory American Eagle 230 grain FMJ.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Jay is right ... the primers are the source of concern more so than projectiles. Elemental lead (assuming it's not vapor) isn't as troublesome as the lead salts in the primers that you will inhale and will contaminate your hands and clothing. Lead from projectiles that is vaporized will mostly be transported away from you as it is entrailed by the expanding gases exiting the muzzle behind the bullet. Of course, that doesn't help much in indoor ranges as it all remains contained and eventually gets circulated unless the range has a super efficient filtration system inline with their ventilation and they use and maintain it religiously. Those last three (existence, use, and maintenance) rarely occur in real life at the same time.

Anyone who shoots should wash their hands thoroughly with soapy water before they handle anything that is going into their mouth.

Top Bottom