• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old log cabin. Disassemble and sell or level and restore?

• Raze it down

Votes: 2 9.1%
    • Raise it up

Votes: 16 72.7%
    • Pineapple on pizza

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    I have this cool old cabin maybe 60' behind my house. The original homestead on the property. I can't find any records but construction style appears to be Civil War era. It's solid, IMG_20201014_171520080_HDR-PANO~2.jpg but listing to port something fierce.

Currently wrapped in barn wood siding and somewhat of an eyesore.....but in an interesting way. It would be very cool fully restored and functional. It would also take a lot of work and a professional to level it up.

It could also be quite lucrative, I'd imagine, to have it disassembled and sell the giant hand hewn beams it's made from.

What say you?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have this cool old cabin maybe 60' behind my house. The original homestead on the property. I can't find any records but construction style appears to be Civil War era. It's solid, View attachment 189733 but listing to port something fierce.

Currently wrapped in barn wood siding and somewhat of an eyesore.....but in an interesting way. It would be very cool fully restored and functional. It would also take a lot of work and a professional to level it up.

It could also be quite lucrative, I'd imagine, to have it disassembled and sell the giant hand hewn beams it's made from.

What say you?
    I feel like I just read this in another post. Deja vu all over again... ;)

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Is the bottom row on the one side rotted?

If you don't plan on redoing the chinking then I would think leaving the wood on the outside is what's protecting the logs.

I wouldn't think raising the one side would be terrible as long as the other sides are good.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    No real use for it. Lots of potential storage space but I don't have a shortage of that.

I've poked around the bottom rows. All sides seem to be soft on the outside.....not sure if rotten all the way through though. I think you're right about the siding. The original logs might even be in questionable condition underneath. Chinking inside is mostly present but cracked and broken.

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I have this cool old cabin maybe 60' behind my house. The original homestead on the property. I can't find any records but construction style appears to be Civil War era. It's solid, View attachment 189733 but listing to port something fierce.

What say you?
    Would like to see more of the Log photos ........
    View attachment 189735
    Southwest corner showing construction.
    Would like to see more of the original logs ......I would salvage if possible .
    We live in a cabin that was rebuilt from logs from the 1870`s ........I love just knowing the history that it has .

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    There is an organization in Indiana that documents pioneer structures

Here's the website >> https://www.indianabarns.org/

In certain cases grant money is available for restoration projects >> https://www.indianabarns.org/grants

If you would like to contact them about your structure go here > https://www.indianabarns.org/contact

A friend in Bedford submitted this one.

View attachment 189762
    That's way cool, Lmo. Any web location where I can learn more about that?

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    There is an organization in Indiana that documents pioneer structures

Here's the website >> https://www.indianabarns.org/

In certain cases grant money is available for restoration projects >> https://www.indianabarns.org/grants

If you would like to contact them about your structure go here > https://www.indianabarns.org/contact

A friend in Bedford submitted this one.

View attachment 189762
    In my opinion that building is priceless. The history, the craftsmanship and the cool factor alone just make it irreplaceable in my eyes. Like a lot of things in this screwed up world we live in things like this need preserved.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    Thank you all for your input. LMO, I'll definitely look into that organization and the grant process, thank you.

I can snap a couple more pictures this afternoon if it's not too nasty weather.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    In my opinion that building is priceless. The history, the craftsmanship and the cool factor alone just make it irreplaceable in my eyes. Like a lot of things in this screwed up world we live in things like this need preserved.
    AMEN! Look at the craftsmanship in them inner locking log joints! It would cost you $100 in labor, per log, to have todays "craftsmen" butcher them together. Love how they made the logs lock together on the ends....I have personally never seen it done like that. Awesome old history there.....I am simply amazed at what the old timers accomplished with the tools they had.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My son-in-law has a 100+ year old huge barn on his property. It is in way rougher shape than that and he's working on a plan to shore up the foundation. He has talked to a group (may be one mentioned upthread) about grants but I don't know where he is at on it.

If that building was mine, I'd try to figure out how to level it up, make a solid foundation and restore it. That is a cool little building.

Top Bottom