Learn me some stuff about High Point Pistols...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    1) Is High Pointe a decent manufacturer?
    2) Any complaints about their products?
    3) For sub $100 would you buy it?

1. Hi Point has a reputation for making a basic, ugly, heavy gun that might require a trip back to the factory to run properly. They also have a reputation as a manufacturer that will bend over backwards to make their customers happy. I bought a C9 used, and before too long started having FTEs left and right. They told me to send it back to them and they would repair it, even though I wasn't the original owner. I got it back in less than a week with a long list of things they replaced, and included a free magazine "for my troubles". It's been perfect since.

2. Well, they're heavy, ugly, and low-capacity. They don't feel all that awesome in the hand. A lot of people have zero malfunctions straight out of the box, and a lot of people have to send it back to the factory for repair before it functions perfectly.

3. For sub-$100? Definitely. I would assume that I would send it back to the factory for a refurb and a new magazine, but if I didn't have to then happy birthday to me. However, if I felt I needed a firearm for personal protection and I could afford something with a better reputation for reliability, I would probably go for something else.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Guy I work with has a .45 ACP Hi-point. It goes bang every time he pulls the trigger. Ugly as ****. If I felt I needed a gun bad enough and couldn't wait to put away enough money for something better/nicer looking I'd buy one. But if you can wait and put away a little more money for something better, I would.

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    My dad has one. I can verify that it is ugly, it is heavy, and it does go "bang" every time we've pulled the trigger. It is easy to clean and maintain. We've sent at least 1000 rounds through it and never had a misfire. I don't think the old man paid $150 for it. For under $100? I think it's a no brainer as an introductory piece, if you can get over it looking like something Tony Stark's less gifted brother would put together in a cave in Afghanistan.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I guess it depends what you want to do with it.

If you goal is to purchase a single gun for home protection... then maybe saving a few extra bucks and getting something of better quality would be the way to go. (or simply look for a used pump action shotgun)

If you plan on getting a using it for concealed carry purposes, then you will likely want to get something less bulky.

However, if you don't own a gun or not experienced with guns and are on a limited budget... then this is a cheap way to see if you like shooting. Yep... Hi-points look to be about as cheap as they come, but shooting is not for everyone and can be an expensive waste of time if its not something you care to do.

A box of 9mm is routinely sold for $10, so its also a good caliber to start with.

But... if you are truly on a limited budget, yet want to shoot a lot and are not interested in using a gun for the sole purpose of self defense... consider getting something in .22lr because .22lr is super CHEAP to shoot.

If you plan to shoot alot, you could save up and purchase a nice .22 pistol for about $200-$300 new and within a few trips to the range you would quickly make up the price difference in guns because a box of 550 rounds of .22lr is the same price as 100 rounds of 9mm.

Also, while its true that most people wouldn't recommend using .22lr for home defense.... I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of 10 well place rounds of it. So its definitely better than nothing... especially a 9mm that may be problematic.

:twocents:

Recap:

If you want something for Home Defense or Self Defense... consider saving up and getting something better reputation and higher quality...

If you want something cheap to test out whether or not you like to shoot guns... go for it... or better yet, consider getting something in .22lr. Once you get familiar with shooting, then you can save up for something you really want.
    this is a perfect answer.
    i have never had a high point, but have read enough about them to tell me all i need to know. just about everyone who has one, mentions the great customer service, i hear a whole lot of broken guns. they get fixed for free, but still alot of people with broken guns. not good.
    :twocents:

oldshaky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greensburg
    They are what they are , as everyone has mentioned . You may want it for under $100 , it may do well for you , but at least you will have a starting piece without breaking your bank . Then save save save because quality isnt cheap

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I've shot one many times before...ugly, bulky, and hard to operate. I would not trust it for self defense if you had given me one.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    My .02..

1) Is High Point a decent manufacturer?

Yup - they've replaced parts at no cost for nothing more than a phone call.

2) Any complaints about their products?

Depends on what you expect. My wife's favorite firearm is the C9, over every other firearm she's tried (including 1911s, Glock, Sig, XD and XDm, HK, you name it). I've run the ILEA handgun qualification course with it and shot well enough to pass. I figure it this way - don't compare it to any gun out of its price range. Nope, just because it's part plastic doesn't mean its like a Glock - no comparison. For $100 on the nose, what else could you buy.. Jennings, maybe? You'd be head and shoulders better off with the Hi-Point. My wife hasn't had a single issue in the 1k+ rounds of 9mm she's put downrange with hers.

3) For sub $100 would you buy it?

Me? Yeah. I wouldn't carry it (since I have other firearms that are better suited to carry), but I think they're pretty fun to shoot. I'd maybe even go a little over $100 - the only stuff you're going to get in a similar price range are old .22 rifles or 12ga shotguns, and those are usually going to be old enough that parts will be hard to come by or they'll be imports that the importer won't stand behind (been there!)

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    My brother has one and he loves it. Put close to 1k rounds through it. No problems, he does CC it, cleans it everytime it's shot, and it's very accurate IMHO. It is ugly, heavy, and small round cap.
    I would buy it, if you don't like it resell it.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    All you need is a Hi Point and a rope. Tie rope through the trigger guard and you have the best boat anchor ever. If you want a gun that you are going to trust your life or the lives of your family with.....you are better off saving a few bucks and getting something of quality. How much is your life worth? :twocents:

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Your gonna find opinions on these from one end to the other. I own 9 and 45 in hi-point. Bought them both for 260. I've had them for a long time now. I can't vouch for customer service. I've never had to send them back. They shoot and they are pretty accurate. It's not the sexy looking, ultra new, yadayadayada. But it's fun to shoot.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Own one. It used to get thousands of rounds of use per year as a target pistol years ago. Its heavy and ugly, but oddly enough it has been more reliable than any of my $1,000+ pistols over the last 10 years Ive had. It probably wouldn't be the best carry piece as its just heavy, but anything is better than nothing...Especially for its price compared to other cheap 9mm's. You will have trouble getting someone to believe that the 9mm ammo you buy is for a rifle since your 18 and can't buy pistol, but its possible.

Don't take the advice of anyone on this thread that hasn't owned one personally. High-points have been ran through the mud many times over by people who have never even owned one here in other threads.

They are a local made gun. Mansfield, Ohio I think. Their customer service is top notch for such a cheap pistol compared to other cheaply made pistol manufacturers.. (I sent mine back to get the sight fixed when I dropped it on concrete one day.) They sent it back to me within a few days along with some extra free stuff.

If you can afford a nicer pistol for a little more than do it because this is a heavier one that is quite bulky and ugly, but if not...Go for it for the price. Not really a huge deal since its a cheap price. At least your gain some experience one way or another.

Last edited:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    HiPoint. They are what they are. I personally own 2 HiPoint handguns and both have been 100% flawless since day one with well over 1,000 downrange between the 2

I have shot many other HiPoint firearms over the years and know several others that own them with no problems at all. I am not in any way disputing anybody else's claims of issues with them, but I can honestly say that I have never had a single problem from any of mine, the others I have fired, or the several people I know that own them.

They are low capacity compared to other makes and models of similar size.
    They are fairly heavy compared to other makes and models of similar size.
    They are not a show off piece, but in my personal experience they work and are very accurate shooters.

If it is to be an only gun I would rather see someone save a little more and get something else, but if it is all someone can afford, then it is better than nothing.

Pretty much the same here, not high quality for sure but I own 2 HP handguns and with the exception of the wife's laundry room 380 not liking aluminum cased ammo both are trouble free with either FMJ or JHP.

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Pretty much every post in this thread states the fact that this is one helluva ugly gun. My problem (if you can call it a problem) is that I will not buy an ugly gun. Now I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but EVERYONE here agrees that the Hi-Point is pretty much the ugliest factory gun on the market! If you can live with having that ugly bastard in your safe, go for it!

Walkersdlx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Evansville
    I used 3 hi points the c9(9mm), the .40 and the .45. The lips on the mags can get bent out of shape, but its a easy fix. Anyways, My buddy let me put 200 or so rounds in the 9mm(no jams). About 150 out of the .40 and .45 with no jams. To me if a pistol hasn't jammed with the cheap ass ammo i was using. Its a ok gun. Anyways, get one if its cheap. My buddy got the c9 9mm for 80bucks used. The 40cal and .45 was 90 each used. All of these pistols sell 130-140 new so dont over pay for it. try to get it under 100, unless it has extra mags. Mags for it are 20ish each new.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    Pretty much every post in this thread states the fact that this is one helluva ugly gun. My problem (if you can call it a problem) is that I will not buy an ugly gun. Now I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but EVERYONE here agrees that the Hi-Point is pretty much the ugliest factory gun on the market! If you can live with having that ugly bastard in your safe, go for it!

Put the HiPoint C9 on a table with plastic guns from Glock, S&W, Springfield, SIG, H&K, Ruger, etc and you can't tell them apart.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I wouldn't go that far, marv.. that's like saying all wheelguns are the same!

One thing about HiPoint that makes me chuckle (again, my wife's favorite shooter, I'm not bashing) is that they don't try. The rest of the guns on your list at least sorta-kinda attempt to be little and easy to carry. HiPoint? Nah - it looks like a phaser. They're big and clunky. Doesn't make them bad, just a fact. The .380 is basically the same size as the 9mm, not a micro version like the LCR vs LC9 or similar. All that mass does help with recoil a little though!

Top Bottom