• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    My family and I may be leaving the states for a few years due to a job change. If I decide to go, I'll be moving to a country with firearm laws that aren't as "free" as we have here in the US. I would rather not permanently dispose of my collection. The non-NFA firearms won't be a problem, but I do have a couple of SBRs that may make transfer difficult. Any ideas on the steps I would need to take to transfer possession of these firearms for a while? I'd rather not have to pay a 200 stamp on each firearm to transfer them to someone else and then pay it again when I move back...that amounts to an effective $600.00 stamp for each gun (200 for initial, transfer and transfer back). Thoughts? I have to assume someone else has gone through this process if they moved to a stricter state.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    How about a family member or friend that you really trust? Buy a safe that you only have the combination to and leave them all there.

Disassemble to as small as you can for a smaller safe. ie just the registered parts.

At least I think that would still be legal.

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    How about a family member or friend that you really trust? Buy a safe that you only have the combination to and leave them all there.

Disassemble to as small as you can for a smaller safe. ie just the registered parts.

That is correct.

Here is a section with ATF FAQ. It deals with moving to another state that prohibits ownership of NFA items, but the same thing should apply.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Firearms

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    This is yet another reason why the trust route is the preferable method when buying NFA items.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Locked gun-cases work as well. The ATF just doesn't want them accessible to the person that is storing them. This is often how estate owned title II firearms are handled. The person inheriting them gets them in a locked case, estate attorney holds onto the keys until paperwork is approved.

In the same regard, you can lock them in cases, drop that off at home of trustworthy friend/family member, and keep the keys so they can't access them. This is an acceptable method of storage per the ATF.

Top Bottom