• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Not to take sides but my former ride, VW Jetta, had the locking lug nut adaptor stored under the floor of the hatch. As it was very expensive to replace, I kept it in its place.

Current sled, ultra cool Subaru Outback, requires the removal of the glove compartment to replace the cabin air filter.
    None of that in my vehicles.

I don't have a trunk ;) and there is nothing that requires access to the center console or glovebox for any other repairs. I understand some vehicles do. But one should be careful making blanket statements about what he does and does not need to access in the service of a vehicle. There will be words if I find things disturbed in my vehicle where a tech didn't need to be.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Needing owners manual to reset oil/tire lights, couod be stored in either glovebox or center console
    Paperwork for roadhazard warranty/ extended service plan/ preious repairs can be stored in either
    Locking lugnut key in center console/glovebox/trunk/ash tray/ cupholder
    RPO otions codes are normally printed in the glovebox or on th e trunk lid
    Cabin air filter are behind the glovebox on almost all cars

There is 5 off the to of my head

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Needing owners manual to reset oil/tire lights, couod be stored in either glovebox or center console
    Paperwork for roadhazard warranty/ extended service plan/ preious repairs can be stored in either
    Locking lugnut key in center console/glovebox/trunk/ash tray/ cupholder
    RPO otions codes are normally printed in the glovebox or on th e trunk lid
    Cabin air filter are behind the glovebox on almost all cars

There is 5 off the to of my head

No, believe me, I know there are extenuating circumstances. But I submit this: every car I've owned had a center console and a glovebox. The stuff they would need is in the glovebox and I will specifically state this if the service requires a special lug or what not. If they are in my center console, they are doing something they don't need to be doing.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    When Marion County had their own garage, we had jail prisoners working there. Leaving a firearm inside while getting it serviced (not oil changes since you were with it the entire time) would get you written up.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I can see how this could easily happen. It's easy to fall into a certain daily routine: Go to work; secure your weapon while at work; get off work; put your weapon/holster back on; go home and live the rest of your life. Now, comes a reason to have your car worked on...either you have it picked up while at work or maybe you leave for a little while you drop it off--then return to work while it's getting worked on.

Guess what? Your little routine just resulted in you either forgetting your normal storage procedure or you're stuck between possibly getting fired for having a gun at work (because you didn't want to leave it in there while the mechanic had it) or leaving it in there and taking a chance of somebody stealing it.

It's possible something like that is why the OP's co-worker made that discovery. Even when we plan ahead, sometimes events happen that leave us in a quandary.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I don't leave my gun in the car when I am not there. And if I did it ain't going to be where it can be seen or accessed easily. IMHO cars are far too easy to break into. I might not be held accountable by the law if it were stolen, but there is always the Civil Suit for negligence that the family of someone maimed or killed with my gun pursues that could easily push me into Bankruptcy and make things very difficult that could easily be avoided by simply not leaving my weapon in the car. If I were to find it necessary to leave it in the car on an ongoing basis I would invest in a way to secure it properly. If not I won't have it with me. Inconvenient but, you never know how a jury will find and I am not willing to let 12 (6?) people off the street determine the financial future of my family because it was more convenient to just leave it in the car. CYA all day. Just my :twocents:

Last edited:

Blown71X

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Boone County
    If it is just a service then ok, BUT:

Jeep Liberty ORC recall = Console removal
    Minivan ORC recall = Moving all your crap out of the way that is stuffed between the seats
    Late Pickup truck mode door actuators = console removal (If it has it)
    Just about any make, Heater core/Evaporator replacement = Console/ Whole instrument panel removal
    Getting under your nasty food spilled on the floor seats to figure out why part of the recliner wont move = seat moving
    Oh your tail light dosen`t work.....OH wait, I need to remove the passenger seat and console to lift the carpet to get to the corroded wire....etc
    You get the idea.

If some of you that think it is so easy to do this stuff and not "disturbed stuff in my vehicle" then I welcome you to come and do the 29 years I have.
    Trust me, 99.9% of us don`t want to get in and/or move all of your stuff around to get what we need to get to,
    Sometimes it is just required.

Rick

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    I don't leave my gun in the car when I am not there. And if I did it ain't going to be where it can be seen or accessed easily. IMHO cars are far too easy to break into. I might not be held accountable by the law if it were stolen, but there is always the Civil Suit for negligence that the family of someone maimed or killed with my gun pursues that could easily push me into Bankruptcy and make things very difficult that could easily be avoided by simply not leaving my weapon in the car. If I were to find it necessary to leave it in the car on an ongoing basis I would invest in a way to secure it properly. If not I won't have it with me. Inconvenient but, you never know how a jury will find and I am not willing to let 12 (6?) people off the street determine the financial future of my family because it was more convenient to just leave it in the car. CYA all day. Just my :twocents:

Indiana law provides for the storage of a firearm in your car at work. Aren't you concerned about the same issue/civil suit should a gun get stolen from your home?

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Indiana law provides for the storage of a firearm in your car at work. Aren't you concerned about the same issue/civil suit should a gun get stolen from your home?

Yes, that's is at work. How about everywhere else in the city, state, world. I don't know what the statute is for that. But I am not talking about the local and state codes. O.J. was acquitted of murder, but the Feldmans went after him civilly.

Yes, some. But my weapons are locked up and unloaded when not in use and my house is far more secure than my car. My house doesn't travel around the city and state, parked in numerous different places that may or may not be under camera security, it isn't exposed to any where near the number of people unknown to me. I don't take it to the store or the mechanic, stereo installer, etc. and leave my gun out in the open for anyone to see or stashed under a seat or something (if I have a properly installed and utilized gun safe that would help). One will have a tremendously harder time proving negligence when the gun is locked up in the home and the home is broken into than leaving it in a vehicle unsecured traveling around the city. I have a far greater ability to control who has access to the inside of my home than my car. And I have the additional security of neighbors who know me that pay attention to the goings on in the neighborhood. Not so much in one of any number of parking lots, streets, parking garages, etc.

Poll as many people as you like and I doubt you will find more than a very small percentage that would consider a car anywhere near as secure as a home. And then ask what they would think about someone keeping a gun in a car and leaving it unattended in that car anywhere around the city versus locked up in the home.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    When Marion County had their own garage, we had jail prisoners working there. Leaving a firearm inside while getting it serviced (not oil changes since you were with it the entire time) would get you written up.

^^This. At one point the state motor pool had prisoners working on routine vehicle maintenance. One of my ( now retired) colleagues left his firearm in the vehicle he dropped off for an oil change. New rule (not so new any more), state employees can no longer have a firearm in their assigned vehicle.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't leave anything in my car anyhow... But I'm certainly not leaving a firearm in there when I have my vehicle serviced. I don't care if it is just a LOF and tire rotation.

In other news, I have a whole-day worth of recalls to be done on our van on the 28th... SIX of them! (only received two notifications via mail...) Lovely!

-J-

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    Had to replace a bad auxiliary power outlet in my 2005 Silverado. As I disassembled the entire center console I discovered a cpu unit directly under the center console storage compartment. I would never leave my weapon in the truck whole it is being serviced. I still do not know what that computer was for.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Leaving weapon in vehicle while having serviced

I usually keep my gun on my hip while being serviced.
    But the last time I was in, she complained because my gun kept smacking her in the ear.

I will probably just leave my gun in the car the next time I get serviced. :n00b:

Last edited:

irishanimal917

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I just read a comment that made me skip directly to the end so I could post this. I don't care what you say about "leaving your weapon in your center console" & "mechanics have no business anywhere but under the hood", you're still liable for it it should be more responsible for it. If you do not know where your weapon is at all times, you are part of the problem in today's society and for law abiding gun carriers everywhere!

It is absolutely appalling to think that people would be so irresponsible with a weapon as to leave it unattended so that others may grab it and run and do God only knows what with it! If you don't think you're part of the problem you're wrong, you shouldn't be allowed to even own a firearm. I know for darn sure I didn't take an oath to serve this country for almost 20 years to hear somebody say they'll do ever they please with their weapon based on their second amendment right... Before you try to rebuttal this argument, just quit while your ahead and go ahead and push!!!

As for those that say they wouldn't leave their firearm in their car while it was being serviced, I commend you being stand up citizens and responsible gun owners, thank you.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    WHEEL LOCK KEY!

We have had to look in every orifice in the entire car looking for one on
    more than 1 occasion.

Jimmy

Top Bottom