• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Anyone using the Lee A.P.P. seems like a great way to process brass. And swage primer pockets. I have used other ppl rcbs and the dillon super swage. Those are slow.

I used to cut the pockets and got tired of that. So it has been many years since I have processed my 223/556 brass. I have quite the back log.

Look like a great way to also keep a press clean if you decap with it before.

Thoughts?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Absolutely it's a great way to bulk process some steps of the case-prep work. I have my Dillon casefeeder plumbed into it and it'll run as fast as I can pull the handle till my arm falls off. Still need to get a roller handle for it, the one it comes with leaves a lot to be desired, even with a good glove.

I wouldn't suggest sizing larger cases (larger than the common pistol rounds), even .223, unless you lube them up real good. Because of the pass-through shell holder, it doesn't have much grip on the rim and the case will stick in the die ripping off the rim.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I wouldn't suggest sizing larger cases (larger than the common pistol rounds), even .223, unless you lube them up real good. Because of the pass-through shell holder, it doesn't have much grip on the rim and the case will stick in the die ripping off the rim.

Good tip, thanks

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central

This thing was brought to my attention recently on another board. It's definitely interesting, and seems to offer an impressive feature set at a very reasonably price point. I have a couple of concerns, though, one of which is exactly what you mentioned above...that the smaller purchase of the pass-through shellholder will rip more case rims off that a traditional "horseshoe" shaped shellholder, and result in more stuck cases. Have you found that proper lube mitigates this, or is it still an issue?

Also, I read that the press is made of cast aluminum rather than steel. For processes like primer-pocket swaging that tend to require a lot of pressure, I'm not sure how well aluminum will hold up over the long term. I've broken the steel ring of a Lee Classic Turret before, so I see that as a definite concern when dealing with aluminum parts. Have you tired swaging with it yet, and if so, how did it do?

If I bought one, my primary use would be swaging and sizing .223, so I'd want to be sure it works for that. Thanks for your first-hand feedback...it's helpful!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have one. As long as the brass is lubed, the pass through works. I've swaged about 1,000 and haven't had an issue...

The stock handle sucks.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    This thing was brought to my attention recently on another board. It's definitely interesting, and seems to offer an impressive feature set at a very reasonably price point. I have a couple of concerns, though, one of which is exactly what you mentioned above...that the smaller purchase of the pass-through shellholder will rip more case rims off that a traditional "horseshoe" shaped shellholder, and result in more stuck cases. Have you found that proper lube mitigates this, or is it still an issue?

Also, I read that the press is made of cast aluminum rather than steel. For processes like primer-pocket swaging that tend to require a lot of pressure, I'm not sure how well aluminum will hold up over the long term. I've broken the steel ring of a Lee Classic Turret before, so I see that as a definite concern when dealing with aluminum parts. Have you tired swaging with it yet, and if so, how did it do?

If I bought one, my primary use would be swaging and sizing .223, so I'd want to be sure it works for that. Thanks for your first-hand feedback...it's helpful!
    My solution for sizing .223 cases was to use a normal U shaped shell holder, run the press with my left hand, and tap the sized case out the way it went in with my right. It's about 80% as fast as the passthrough and your other hand isn't doing anything anyway.

It's not meant for hard use like sizing rifle brass so it doesn't need a huge body of cast iron, the small core of cast AL is enough to get the job done. Likewise the handle is much shorter and thinner than any other press because it's built around all the force being put in the little core of AL rather than a large arc of a conventional press. Because it isn't operating with the large C or O, it doesn't need to be strong enough to take the compression/tension forces of the C or O style press.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've seen a couple of complaints here about the handle design...does anybody make an upgraded handle for this, or would you be on your own to fab something up?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Interesting unit for sure. I still don't like bulge busting with the lee system. Push... push, pu... WHAM. Next. Shakes the whole bench.

Might be worth it for the mil crimp remover, assuming it's mounted on a secure table. That flex in the video makes me nervous. Get a little overzealous and you're likely to bend something.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Member review of the APP

Currently on sale $79.89

guardman7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I didn’t realize it could swage primer pockets, I figured having a 750 I couldn’t find a justification for the APP, but if I can swage primers with it then I may look into it…. Anyone have any issues?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Revisting this thread on the press I have yet to use.

I'm back to shooting a bit. Dusted off and fired up the 650, for 9mm production. I've loaded a few hundred rounds and will soon need to size some cast/coated boolits to .357.

My single stage small Lee press is already setup with the Lee .357 sizer kit.

I wonder if it's worth the trouble to set up the APP with its own sizer VS waiting until the cold weather, when stuck inside anyway?

Anyone bullet sized on their APP?

:scratch:

Top Bottom