• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    For those that read my thread yesterday, and gave your input, thank you. With the information gathered, a little reasoning, and experimentation, I realized my biggest problem was operator error. Hopefully my lack of pride will help a newbee out in the future. I was not allowing gravity the time it needed to drop the flakes of Unique from the chamber. I ran 50 .380 cases with much better consistency last night. The Lee is not RCBS quality, but it will due for now.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Have you ever used graphite to lube your powder measurer? I know my lees like to be lube every now and then to keep everything rolling smooth. I use an ultra fine graphite and it seems to make powder flow better and not get as sticky

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I might try that. One of the things the instructions said, was if you were getting inconsistent loads, it might need "conditioned". It recommended running a full hopper of powder through it. Well I had been running powder through it already, but I don't think Unique has the correct properties to "condition" the measure. But after running H110 through it, I believe it might have gotten the conditioning it needed. So maybe a little graphite now and again might be a good idea. Where do you get your graphite?

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I do believe it is an eBay special item. Just have to make sure it's as fine as you can get. It may help fix some or all your problems, as it has for me

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Graphite I get at hardware store. And running a hopper through does help especially if it is new.

Also can get it at art supply stores. They use it for art and pinewood derby cars. So a hobby store may have it also

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I do believe it is an eBay special item. Just have to make sure it's as fine as you can get. It may help fix some or all your problems, as it has for me
    That was easy. $2.47 on eBay.

60ml Graphite Fine Powder Lubricant for Lock Locksmith Cylinder Car Padlock

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    lol take a pencil and scape a razor on the point that's what no.2 pencils are made of... and there cheaper lol

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    it's great advice because that's what pencils are made of pure grafite....
    What is a No. 2 Pencil? - Pencils.com

All that link does is talk about the hardness... there's no information provided to inform you of how they are actually made. Let me clear it up.

How do you think they harden the graphite so that it is used as intended? They mix the graphite with clay. Graphite is much too brittle to be used as just a writing utensil without some sort of hardener. For the price of a can of pure graphite powder, there's absolutely no reason to have to deal with shaving off a pencil in the first place. Let alone having clay and possibly wax and wood put into a place that you are trying to lube. Does pencil lead work in high school shop class when building cars? Absolutely! It will provide a slicker surface than the wood itself. Would pure graphite lubricant work better? It sure as **** will!
    How A Pencil is Made - General Pencil Co., Inc.

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    How do you think they harden the graphite so that it is used as intended? They mix the graphite with clay. Graphite is much too brittle to be used as just a writing utensil without some sort of hardener.
    How A Pencil is Made - General Pencil Co., Inc.

This is why I LOVE INGO. We can go from "hey what to you think of a Lee Auto-Drum" to a heated discussion of how pencils are made in less than one page!:stickpoke::laugh:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    This is why I LOVE INGO. We can go from "hey what to you think of a Lee Auto-Drum" to a heated discussion of how pencils are made in less than one page!:stickpoke::laugh:

:): True.. I just don't want someone taking bad advice. Although, my Auto Drum has been excellent in the last 4 months that I've had it. Very consistent!

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    there is such little clay it is baked out when made and compressed. I have used this for many years on locks, bearing, and parts of my weapons that I don't want to collect grime from oils.... we also used it in the sand . bet hey your the smart guy. and its far from bad advise

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    :): True.. I just don't want someone taking bad advice. Although, my Auto Drum has been excellent in the last 4 months that I've had it. Very consistent!

Mine has worked great once I figured it out. The entire volume V.S. grains measurements could screw a guy if you didn't read up on what the numbers on the discs mean.

Also the screw tension on the bottom can drag your discs down causing no charge as they can hang up...(know first hand on three rounds.)

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I run it on just about every sliding surface of my Loadmaster. That and a super polishing on those components has made the Lee an exceptional loader.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I thought I would pop in to visit my thread. Real interesting about the pencil thing. I'm done loading until I get the graphite though. I loaded 150 9mm rounds yesterday. They started consistent, but after filling the first 100 cases, I started getting inconsistencies again. I would crank it up, crank it down. They were all over. I might go half turn one way, and get no change, then turn a little more and be way off. I was getting very frustrated to say the least. If the graphite does not work, RCBS will be in my future. Or Hornady.

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I thought I would pop in to visit my thread. Real interesting about the pencil thing. I'm done loading until I get the graphite though. I loaded 150 9mm rounds yesterday. They started consistent, but after filling the first 100 cases, I started getting inconsistencies again. I would crank it up, crank it down. They were all over. I might go half turn one way, and get no change, then turn a little more and be way off. I was getting very frustrated to say the least. If the graphite does not work, RCBS will be in my future. Or Hornady.

Hmm, I haven't had any problems with mine, I don't know how your powder compares to Titegroup, but out of the 20 rounds that I measured, 19 were at 4.9 where I set it and I had 1 charge of 5.0. Have you tried calling Lee to see if they have any answers? I haven't lubed mine at all, but the way I set it is I make a turn, throw 5 or 6 charges then measure the next and see where it's at, make adjustments as needed, but with every adjustment I throw another 5 or so to make sure that's where it is set before I measure.

If it is already recharged and you turn the screw, it won't recharge until after what is already in the drum is dropped and it resets on the up-stroke. Once it's set, it should be set.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom