• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    Is the Lee Precision Perfect powder measure at $25. accurate enough for pistol loads or should I spring for the RCBS Uniflow at ~$80? I'm fine paying the $80 if there is added value. Opinions and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Can't say since I've never used the Lee measure. I have 2 RCBS Uniflow measures that I love and are very accurate and I'm probably going to be ordering a 3rd one this weekend. Like most RCBS equipment, they're built to last for generations. I do recommend installing a baffle no matter which you get to improve the accuracy.

If I had it to do over, I would have just bought the RGBS Chargemaster for what I paid for the powder measures but it's too late for that now.

Last edited:

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I use an RCBS Little Dandy for all my reloading...but I only reload 9 and .380. It's always thrown the exact amount the rotor says it throws for a particular powder.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I haven't used a Lee but I do have the RCBS and trust it. I'm dropping 4.4g of Titegroup for 40 S&W and the measure is not varying more than 1g difference. Just to be sure I bought the small hole cylinder and the baffle. Very pleased.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The RCBS with a pistol metering chamber is definatedly a better unit for your task. The little LEE unit is really cleaply made even though it is pretty accurate because the metering chamber is small diameter. It leaks powder due to poor fit and materials. If you have a uniflow with a rifle size chamber, it is less accurate with some powders.

Don't forget to look at the Redding pistol measure. More money but no regrets.

Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    The RCBS with a pistol metering chamber is definatedly a better unit for your task. The little LEE unit is really cleaply made even though it is pretty accurate because the metering chamber is small diameter. It leaks powder due to poor fit and materials. If you have a uniflow with a rifle size chamber, it is less accurate with some powders.

Are you referring to the UPM measure small cylinder assy? I will probably be reloading 75% pistol vs. rifle. I'm definitely leaning towards the RCBS especially after the feedback here. I appreciate it all.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Are you referring to the UPM measure small cylinder assy? I will probably be reloading 75% pistol vs. rifle. I'm definitely leaning towards the RCBS especially after the feedback here. I appreciate it all.

Yes the small cylinder is much better for pistol than the large. The Redding is better yet as it is even smaller diameter. The smaller the opening of the cylinder, the less variation due to kernnels being compressed or kicked out as the opening clears the feed hopper. Small grain powder is not much trouble but bigger flake powders can compress or hang up quite a bit resulting in a wider variance.

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    I use the lee measure my only complaint is the occasional leakage with some pistol powders but is still very accurate and never been off more than.1 and that is rare.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I digress... I got the "quick change". It's a uniflow that comes with small and large metering assemblies.

Set the small assembly for my 9mm and the large for my rifle. A quick quality check at the start and I'm good to go. Hardly any setup time.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I digress... I got the "quick change". It's a uniflow that comes with small and large metering assemblies.

Set the small assembly for my 9mm and the large for my rifle. A quick quality check at the start and I'm good to go. Hardly any setup time.

Sounds like a great piece of equipment. I had not looked at them.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It's a uniflow for all intents and purposes. There's even a "quick change" kit you can order for the uniflow. Just a couple different parts. There's even a high precision metering assembly (for either really). Just before I bought mine, I stopped in to chat with the guys at Profire and to see if I could see one in person. Turns out they have one in their reloading operation. I don't recall seeing any red in there.... lots of blue and green though.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen

Good choice. That's the one that was included with my RCBS RS-5 Explorer kit. I now have 3 Uniflow's (1 for each of my turrets) Since I got the Quick Change originally that enabled me to get the next 2 with the small cylinder which gave me 3 small and 1 large cylinder. I have the 3 small cylinders on the turrets since that's all I need for my 9mm, .45 and .223 but when I set-up for my .308 later, I will already have the large cylinder for it.

Top Bottom