• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EOC

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    The Garage
    Im looking at getting one of these for 40 S&W and .223 and before buying im wanting to know if everything I need "part" wise is in this kit?? I know I need bullets, primers, powder, etc still just needing to know about the equipment part of it. I believe its good to go just not sure.. And yes im new to reloading.. Thanks

Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press Kit 40 S&W

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Well, after reading the info at your link, there is more equipment you will need. I've run 2 Pro1000s in the past and can attest that they can make very good ammo in a very short amount of time, but they are a little bit more persnickety than some of the other presses. They are a great value if you don't mind a little tinkering, though.

So, the equipment you will need to have in addition to your press and dies (which do come in this kit), are a reloading manual or 5 (really surprised this LEE kit doesn't include Richard Lee's book on reloading which has reloading data in it. I thought it came with all of his presses), a scale (extremely important) for checking your charge weights, some case lubrication for your .223 dies, a micrometer or calipers (for measuring your cartridge lengths), and a bullet puller (to correct your inevitable mistakes). It would be very nice for you to have a brass tumbler, a case gauge, a die trimmer (for your .223 cases), a case chamfer tool (for your .223 cases), and a case collater (really handy for the Lee Pro1000 case feeder). There is a very good STICKY at the top of the reloading sub-forum that will give you a ton of good information. And if you are in the Indy area, Profire Arms and Supply conducts reloading classes that are well worth the time and cost.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Well, after reading the info at your link, there is more equipment you will need. I've run 2 Pro1000s in the past and can attest that they can make very good ammo in a very short amount of time, but they are a little bit more persnickety than some of the other presses. They are a great value if you don't mind a little tinkering, though.

So, the equipment you will need to have in addition to your press and dies (which do come in this kit), are a reloading manual or 5 (really surprised this LEE kit doesn't include Richard Lee's book on reloading which has reloading data in it. I thought it came with all of his presses), a scale (extremely important) for checking your charge weights, some case lubrication for your .223 dies, a micrometer or calipers (for measuring your cartridge lengths), and a bullet puller (to correct your inevitable mistakes). It would be very nice for you to have a brass tumbler, a case gauge, a die trimmer (for your .223 cases), a case chamfer tool (for your .223 cases), and a case collater (really handy for the Lee Pro1000 case feeder). There is a very good STICKY at the top of the reloading sub-forum that will give you a ton of good information. And if you are in the Indy area, Profire Arms and Supply conducts reloading classes that are well worth the time and cost.

You should try an RCBS Pro. :laugh:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    In before the haters!!

I've loaded thousands of rounds of 9mm on my Pro 1000 and it works just fine for me. They can be a little finicky at first until you get them dialed in and get a feel for them, but once you do, you're gtg. If I were to start loading another caliber, for the price I'd probably just get another Pro 1000 instead of constantly having to switch one around.

Spend the extra on this while you're at it. Major time saver.

Lee Pro 1000 Load-Master Progressive Press Case Collator

EOC

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    The Garage

Thank you for the great info. Also thanks for the info on the reloading class because I was looking around for a class or two I could take..

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I loaded thousands of rounds on a pro1000, and although I ran great when it ran...It required CONSTANT tinkering...and repair...and cleaning.

If I where you, I would consider either the Lee Classic Cast Turret(not as slow as you think), or the Lee Loadmaster(no experience),...or save a few more buck and get a nice used Hornady Lock-n-load or a Dillon 550b.

I understand the Budget thing because Im in the same boat(working class), and started with lee products(and still use them). But the "buy once, cry once" saying holds ALOT of weight. With the Pro1000 I spent more time fixing it than I did reloading. The classic cast turret was a HUGE upgrade in quality....I cannot recommend it enough.

The quality of my RL550b is UNMATCHED in smoothness, fit/finish, and perfect function....except by my old Rockchucker. The 550 has never missed a primer, jammed, gone out of time, or crushed a single case since Ive had it.

God bless
    -Shred

EOC

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    The Garage
    I ended up going with the Lee Pro 1000 one setup for 40 S&W and one for .223 after reading reviews on the issues and the good things and hours of you tube videos on them I decided the issues seemed small enough to justify the nice price I got on them while on sale. I hope they work out for me. Thanks for info all of you

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Feel free to post here or send a PM if you have any more questions or run into any problems. Somebody here will probably be able to help. First tip, when you are putting them together, pull the primer track apart into two pieces and smooth/remove any flash or burrs that you find on the mold parting line that runs right down the center of the track. Be careful and don't scratch up the sliding surface, but if you clean those track edges carefully you will sidestep one of the two most common problems with the Pro1000 priming system.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm sorry but I can't in good conscience sit buy and let someone buy lee for your needs when the dillon is available on the market. I've owned a Lee 1000 and I have to say after the first 2k rounds I had nothing but trouble with it and overall it was a waste of money when I could have bought the 550

Try to think 20 years down the road not 1 year, My dillons have lasted for years with smooth operation and great ammo

EOC

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    The Garage
    Feel free to post here or send a PM if you have any more questions or run into any problems. Somebody here will probably be able to help. First tip, when you are putting them together, pull the primer track apart into two pieces and smooth/remove any flash or burrs that you find on the mold parting line that runs right down the center of the track. Be careful and don't scratch up the sliding surface, but if you clean those track edges carefully you will sidestep one of the two most common problems with the Pro1000 priming system.
    Thank you for the tip and I will do that for sure.

EOC

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    The Garage
    I'm sorry but I can't in good conscience sit buy and let someone buy lee for your needs when the dillon is available on the market. I've owned a Lee 1000 and I have to say after the first 2k rounds I had nothing but trouble with it and overall it was a waste of money when I could have bought the 550

Try to think 20 years down the road not 1 year, My dillons have lasted for years with smooth operation and great ammo

Well ill try my luck I understand your thoughts about 20 years down the road but if the lees give me problems then I will buy the next step up after that. Thanks for your input

Top Bottom