• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    Hello all. I have a Lee Single stage press and have been using it for about a year now. I bought it used. Not sure of the model but it doesn't put primers in, not a breech lock, just a press. I like it, works great. My question is my dad offered to sell me his old rock chucker. I know it is obviously a heavier press, but will it be that much better than what i have? also what is a fair price for both if i wanted to sell mine? Thanks SB

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The RC is definitely a more durable press and will last a lifetime. The Lee, although a great starter press, will not last under the pressure of long, consistent use.

I gave my Lee single-stage away to another member. I guess you could probably get $20-$25 for it. I'm not sure about the worth of the RC.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I see the Rockchuckers come up for $70-$80, used. It is a "better" press than the
    Lee, but it's not going to be operate any differently, really. The Lee "standard" single stage (looks like an open "C") probably won't bring much of anything used (I think you can buy them new for about $35), the Lee "Classic" single stage (looks like a closed "C", or an "O", or maybe a "D" :) ) might bring you $40 or so, I'd guess. The Rockchucker is really solid - it's the type of Single Stage that people keep around for life, even if just to load rifle cartridges for high precision.

Last edited:

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    25 year old Lee still works fine

I see lots of comments on the life of a Lee press but no one has ever admitted to wearing one out. The RC is a stronger design and if you intend to load alot of big rifle cartridges you may like it. I know my Lee has loaded easily 75K rounds with no issues.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I see lots of comments on the life of a Lee press but no one has ever admitted to wearing one out. The RC is a stronger design and if you intend to load alot of big rifle cartridges you may like it. I know my Lee has loaded easily 75K rounds with no issues.

75k on a single stage! My arm hurts just reading that!

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Wear one out? Not me. I just don't see any residual value from a $25 cast press that has been made in the 10's of thousands. I have no doubt that my Breech Lock Challenger press will be around for as long as I need it.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    $75 is probably a fair price - although I'm not in the habit of buying things from my parents. That being said, unless you're swaging bullets, the rock chucker (along with a dozen other press designs) is overkill. Remember, RCBS stands for "Rock Chucker Bullet Swager" and the press was originally designed for cold swaging lead bullets.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    That's 75K over a long time!

Yes, sounds like a lot, but it averages out to a little over 3K per year. I started with no bench and just mounted it to a plywood frame attached to a large ammo box. everything for my reloading stored right in the box. I have to admit, I have added a few items since then.....:):

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    Yes, sounds like a lot, but it averages out to a little over 3K per year. I started with no bench and just mounted it to a plywood frame attached to a large ammo box. everything for my reloading stored right in the box. I have to admit, I have added a few items since then.....:):

IT IS A LOT, 3k per year= 25 years. 3k per year times 3 pulls on each shell= 9k pulls. 9k divided 365= about 25 pulls per DAY. all i can say is i love my progressive.

that being said my rock crusher comes in handy for what i use it for....daryll

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    That doesn't include the shotgun shells...

When i was shooting sporting clays tournaments, I went through another 5-7K shotgun shells in 6 months. I have a feeling I have a scattered some lead around. But I did load those on a MEC 9000...

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    When i was shooting sporting clays tournaments, I went through another 5-7K shotgun shells in 6 months. I have a feeling I have a scattered some lead around. But I did load those on a MEC 9000...

me too!!! in 20 or so years i've loaded about 25 k on my 9000 g. now i have a ponsness /warren. like going from a vw to a caddy.

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Apples and oranges

I have a Lee Challenger press like the OP's, and it works just fine for everything that I'm doing. It's counterpart in RCBS equipment is the Partner press, another "O" style press made out of aluminum. They are both durable and should give a lifetime of reloading, within reason.

The Rock Chucker is a cast press, and would be equivalent to Lee's Classic Cast press or the Lyman Orange Crush.

A friend of mine swears by the A-2 press (which is what most of the cast presses are modeled on), but my reloads shoot just as fast and accurate as his.

Do I want a Rock Chucker or a Classic Cast, absolutely, because they are much stronger and allow me to exert more force (if needed). Besides, having a second press means that I can set up one for sizing and decapping, and the second for seating and crimping (if using a two die set).

So, if you want a second press, or want to upgrade, go for it (and I agree that $75 sounds about right for a used cast press). If you are fine with what you have, don't.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have been using a RCBS Rock Chucker for over 45 years, have loaded 10s of 1000s of rounds and it has not even began to wear out. Great press. Especially good if you are loading very large high power rifle cases.

Top Bottom