• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I had that problem. Then I switched to shooting with the left hand. After a surprisingly small number of visits to the range to practice that I became just as good with my left as with my right.

Unlike Mr. Ace Hanlon, I really can fight with both hands.

gm652

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Seymour
    Thanks for the tip. Im tring to help a left eye\right handed shooter get better. Im going to try the two eye and tape on left trick. I dont think relearning to shot with left hand after 20 years would be a good idea .

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    same here - left eye dominant and a righty handgun shooter BUT a lefty rifle shooter.

Both eyes open, get use to it, it works.

Same here and my wife is real bad, she can shoot the .22 semi-auto rifle left handed as there is no action to work or recoil. When we upgraded her to a bigger rifle I looked into getting her a lefty AR and all the different options and conversations, ended up putting a EoTech on and she never looked back! Both eyes open and you can simple shoot.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Right handed, left eyed, shoot right.

Squint left eye on rifle if needed, shift my chin to the right so my left eye is over the sights on pistol instead of right, both eyes open.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    ^^^Me too^^^^

...and we don't let a nine month pause in a thread throw us off. It was still warm when we got here, I swear.

chipsher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Logansport
    My advise, bite the bullet and use your dominate eye. It took me a couple years to get comfortable shooting a pistol right handed (I'm very left handed) If you can enter some competitions, the stress makes us learn faster. I now shoot pistols better than I ever did left handed.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Lucky for me I am right eye dominant, right handed - unlucky for me I have had to adapt to glasses due to my age (be 73 in May). I sure did have a problem with Iron sights and glasses at first! I went with the graduated lens that allows me to kind of bob my head to get the sights aligned with the target as it is sometimes impossible to keep both in focus. In the last few years I have installed scopes on most of my rifles, but obviously can't do that with EDC's.

I have seen a documentary about the Apache Helicopter pilots training that may be encouraging to those of you that have the "wrong" dominate eye. The documentary indicated one of the toughest part of the training was obtaining proficiency in use of the helmet mounted gun sight / information screens. They found that in some cases, experienced pilots actually have both eyes working independently with one eye looking ahead and the other to the side. I understand it takes weeks to be proficient in piloting the aircraft and using the guns with the over eye see through display, so guess there is hope for you, with training, if you wish to change your dominate eye action.

As an odd side-note I do have small cataracts, although not large enough to severely affect my vision. In the last few months I noticed I could not see very well at any distance with my glasses (everything quite blurry). Went to the optometrist last week, and was told my cataracts had mostly corrected my farsightedness by bending my lens, so my current glasses are way too strong. So now have new glasses coming.

Top Bottom