Left Index Finger, Front of the Trigger Guard?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlmx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Is the front of the trigger guard on a Glock (& several others) cofigured for the left index finger? Why is the trigger guard shaped that way?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    That method of gripping the pistol was somewhat en vogue in the 80s and early 90s (which is why you see a squared or dished trigger guard on guns like Glocks, S&W 3rd Gen, and Beretta 92), but has pretty much fallen out of favor now.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What I see with the method of the support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard is a right hand shooter usually pulls shots left and low. A left hand shooter usually pulls shots right or low.

We correct that style if we see it.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    It is not there for your left index finger it just looks that way because it's cool. YOur left index finger should be under the trigger guard helping to support the gun. IF you wrap your finger around the trigger guard you will probably start pulling shots to the left.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I tried using it that way when shooting two handed and it messed me up. Often, in that styled grip the position of the left finger would contact the tip of my trigger finger during trigger pull. This is not a good thing for accuracy. As someone who shoots a revolver often, I also do not want to get in the unsafe habit of extending any fingers where they would be in the area of the cylinder/barrel gap.

CAT 1000B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    I feel I have much better recoil control over the pistol if I have my finger under the trigger guard. The muzzle rises much more with my finger on the front of it.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    MY left index finger is always either above the trigger guard on the slide, or on the trigger itself. I don't know what you do with YOUR left index finger:D . . .

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What's wrong with all of you? The left index finger should be on the trigger! Are you talking about the right index finger?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    What I see with the method of the support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard is a right hand shooter usually pulls shots left and low. A left hand shooter usually pulls shots right or low.

This is exactly what I used to see with my S&W 4006 before a kindly gentleman corrected me back around 1994 or so. Darn thing was contoured and checkered so nicely I thought for sure that was where my finger was supposed to go. Indexed up against the bottom if the trigger guard is where my weak hand index finger goes now.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Answer: it was the style at the time.

I wore an onion on my belt when I took the ferry to West Lafayette. Rhino and I used to hang out at the mall wearing parachute pants and then we would go to the range and put our fingers out on the trigger guard because it was hip and cool.

Don't worry, rl, gun techniques are driven by The Cool. "Finger forward" (name given it by Mel Tappan [rip]) was the style for 20 some years.

All kinds of silly crap that is being done now be seen like parachute pants and mullets in 2033.:D

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

I wore an onion on my belt when I took the ferry to West Lafayette. Rhino and I used to hang out at the mall wearing parachute pants and then we would go to the range and put our fingers out on the trigger guard because it was hip and cool.

Don't worry, rl, gun techniques are driven by The Cool. "Finger forward" (name given it by Mel Tappan [rip]) was the style for 20 some years.

All kinds of silly crap that is being done now be seen like parachute pants and mullets in 2033.:D

rhino and parachute pants in the same sentence! That is some mental art work, I'm sure all the girls were like:thatshot: LOL

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne

:postpics: :laugh:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I realized a bit back I was doing this and that it in fact is what seems to have had me pulling shots low and left. What made me really notice it was I just slip into shooting my Glocks this way, but when shooting my M&P 9C I noticed I was not doing this and not pulling shots.

At first I thought that I was flinching from the .40 recoil on the Glocks, but then I realized my offhand index finger placement.

I need to break myself of this.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I realized a bit back I was doing this and that it in fact is what seems to have had me pulling shots low and left. What made me really notice it was I just slip into shooting my Glocks this way, but when shooting my M&P 9C I noticed I was not doing this and not pulling shots.

At first I thought that I was flinching from the .40 recoil on the Glocks, but then I realized my offhand index finger placement.

I need to break myself of this.

A lot of folks don't realize what small things they do create bad groups until someone watches them shoot. I have noticed a lot of problems with ex military folks doing that. We give them a small familiarization course and shoot a few rounds then they go to the Federal LE Training center wher the point is driven home. we usually don't have to address it again.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    A lot of folks don't realize what small things they do create bad groups until someone watches them shoot. I have noticed a lot of problems with ex military folks doing that. We give them a small familiarization course and shoot a few rounds then they go to the Federal LE Training center wher the point is driven home. we usually don't have to address it again.

Yep, and unfortunately I usually shoot alone.

On the very rare trip to FL to see my brother, it is nice, because he'll watch me shoot and point out things I don't notice.

Top Bottom